Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCMfycBVVY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

girls freaking love Netflix

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

extra stout posted:

The key to defending this stance and never having any actual hobbies before you rot and die is to say you like them ironically like "it's funny how corny it is!." About twenty million people use this defense, so I'm positive it works. Good luck!

I like them completely sincerely because they are good tv

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The thing about cutthroat kitchen is the fact it's really fun and good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
F For Fake is basically reality tv.
*nods like a smart person nods*

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

redm posted:

reality tv removed all need for thought about television programming by giving producers the impression they could adlib plots and fart out a seasons worth of glowtube food in the same amount of time it would take a studio to write a 20 minute sitcom script. I don't think the internet is really bad, it only makes people brain dead if they ignore current events being broadcast. I get most of my information from the radio because I haven't been able to stand how over the top the news networks on tv have become since college.

The Virginia tech shooting happened and there was this giant obnoxious bumper on CNN that sailed across the screen trumpeting in a celebratory manner with WORLDS DEADLIEST SCHOOL SHOOTING and a couple days later, Anna Nicole Smith died and the coverage on that lasted 6 months so I gave up caring.

I remember CNN's webpage used to be much more reserved and neutral in overall appearance and tone. Also came across some really awful news stories that were text only but still :nms:

It was about the same time during the second invasion of Iraq when Saddam's sons were confirmed KIA and they plastered "SON'S DEAD!!!!!" across the front of the website with the images of their dead faces. That was about the same time that CNN started to get more and more Fox News in style.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the internet, easily. every single positive thing silicon valley said about it 20 years ago has turned out to be a lie, it just took the past couple of years for it to be truly apparent

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

the internet, easily. every single positive thing silicon valley said about it 20 years ago has turned out to be a lie, it just took the past couple of years for it to be truly apparent

I think we can all agree that the Internet has had a highly toxic influence on society, but I still think cable TV has been even worse. It's like the difference between a touch of alcohol poisoning and a lifetime of snacking on lead paint chips.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
People don't want to choose what they consume. If they did, they wouldn't use Facebook

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
:foxnews: and reality TV is all the evidence we need to say that cable TV has been way worse than anything the internet has put out.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

the internet because it enables your posting op

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Cable TV brought us The Sopranos, The Wire, Breading Bad, Mad Men, The Shield, It's Always Sunny, Curb, etc. All the internet has brought us is extreme echo-chamberism.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Although, on the other hand, the internet gave us podcasts, which have improved my boring job and household chores a million percent.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
even painting the internet in the absolute worst of light does not even come close to the amount of dogshit cable tv is responsible for in terms of collective societal damage and misinformation. television is brainwashing machine designed by cable companies over decades to turn viewers into neat packaged little consumers

like... is this a point of contention?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The Dennis System posted:

Cable TV brought us The Sopranos, The Wire, Breading Bad, Mad Men, The Shield, It's Always Sunny, Curb, etc. All the internet has brought us is extreme echo-chamberism.

so a bunch of formulaic forty five minute dramas pushed past the same gatekeepers that exist solely as a means to get you to watch advertisements are the best things to come out of television

but the internet is an echo chamber

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

nigga crab pollock posted:

so a bunch of formulaic forty five minute dramas pushed past the same gatekeepers that exist solely as a means to get you to watch advertisements are the best things to come out of television

I don't think those shows are formulaic, I think they're good. Also, most of them are from HBO, which doesn't have advertisements.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Calling The Wire formulaic. :chloe:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
product placement is advertisement

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
you literally cannot make a case that something appearing on television isn't explicitly designed to sell you something under the pretense of entertainment

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think I noticed the how bad TV is when I moved to college, where absolutely no-one had cable. Every 6 or 7 months when I go to visit my parents for holiday/break, I'm reminded how awful it is. It' kinda like when you go on someone's computer and they don't have adblock on their browser.

What's cable gonna look like in the next couple of decades? I don't think anyone in this generation is sold on paying money only to still see ads still when Hulu and Netflix exist.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Snooze Cruise posted:

Reality tv is good though
Well the competition ones.

I think "Toddlers and Tiaras" fits into this category...

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
even 'good tv' like breaking bad is garbage though

i made it through about ten episodes until i realized that every. single. episode. follows the same formula. the show uses the exact same methods of creating tension every episode - walt wants to do something. walt half bakes an idea. walt follows through with half baked idea and jessie fucks it up. make sure he never communicates with his family or does anything reasonable. eventually you get to the point where they have drummed up enough tension for a plot point only to have it fizzle away after a few shots like a broken roman candle due to a deus ex machina and/or a newer, bigger thing to be concerned about so hopefully you forget about everything else

plus the way these 45 minute shows are edited is to cut up story arcs into incredibly convenient cliffhangers to compel you into watching further. serial dramas can only exist with an indefinite denial of closure, they only satisfy just enough of your curiosity to compel you to watch more. they are designed to elicit an emotional response to compel you to watch further in a way no different from a salivating dog

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

i made it through about ten episodes until i realized that every. single. episode. follows the same formula. the show uses the exact same methods of creating tension every episode - walt wants to do something. walt half bakes an idea. walt follows through with half baked idea and jessie fucks it up. make sure he never communicates with his family or does anything reasonable. eventually you get to the point where they have drummed up enough tension for a plot point only to have it fizzle away after a few shots like a broken roman candle due to a deus ex machina and/or a newer, bigger thing to be concerned about so hopefully you forget about everything else

plus the way these 45 minute shows are edited is to cut up story arcs into incredibly convenient cliffhangers to compel you into watching further. serial dramas can only exist with an indefinite denial of closure, they only satisfy just enough of your curiosity to compel you to watch more. they are designed to elicit an emotional response to compel you to watch further in a way no different from a salivating dog

well yeah

breaking bad isn't good tv. the list of good tv is incredibly short (it starts and ends with the wire) but breaking bad is very well made.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

what would our lives have been without the internet? how would we live without memes and shitposting? who can imagine such a world, so alien and foreign

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If this thread was a reality tv show it would be the forums most boring poster looking at these bad paragraphs!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
80s and 90s sucked. No AC Or 3G. If you disagree go jerk off to stranger things

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"Duck Dynasty" being on A&E was a clear symptom that cable TV had become a poisonous cesspool, corrupting even networks that had once been decent.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The internet is better as we have some input to share in many cases and the freedom to move about it and enjoy it as we wish, being able to connect with the world and learn poo poo we might need to know quickly and from everywhere. This also lets us see how lovely people are and have always been.

There have always been muderous abusive cops and people raping anyone possible. Now they don't get away with it nearly as much. Yeah there are echo chambers. But compared to TV it ain't poo poo. And an hour of entertainment or information isn't really 44 minutes plus 16 minutes of commercials. And it's easier to get other viewpoints and to actually share it and not just pull Trump's I HEARD THIS THING bullshit.

Why the gently caress do you think everyone is trying to regulate the internet in all sorts of ways? Because the powers that be loving loathe poo poo they can't control even if they might make money doing it.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

LOL

This post doesn't even need a response, I think you owned yourself enough.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The only way I can express my media literacy is by not consuming any of it because it will ruin my smart brain and isn't that interesting.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Dear comedy forum, cable bad, Internet not as bad, and what a rich vein this is.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
On one hand I am glad Walter White is the first victim of this struggle, because boy, you guys seen that show?

Guy is a huge jerk.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BB is a very popular show that is really stuck in a repeat cycle, like Dexter. I enjoyed watching it, but drat it was frustrating running from one fire to the next.

Walt's ego, blah blah, I know, but it was exhausting as a viewer

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Dear comedy forum, cable bad, Internet not as bad, and what a rich vein this is.

lol somebody needs an nap

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Professor Shark posted:

lol somebody needs an nap

No! I am making it known I don't like this because they said reality tv bad and it hurt my feelings!

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Captain Rufus posted:

The internet is better as we have some input to share in many cases and the freedom to move about it and enjoy it as we wish, being able to connect with the world and learn poo poo we might need to know quickly and from everywhere. This also lets us see how lovely people are and have always been.

There have always been muderous abusive cops and people raping anyone possible. Now they don't get away with it nearly as much. Yeah there are echo chambers. But compared to TV it ain't poo poo. And an hour of entertainment or information isn't really 44 minutes plus 16 minutes of commercials. And it's easier to get other viewpoints and to actually share it and not just pull Trump's I HEARD THIS THING bullshit.

Why the gently caress do you think everyone is trying to regulate the internet in all sorts of ways? Because the powers that be loving loathe poo poo they can't control even if they might make money doing it.

Well, enjoy the internet while you can, because ad-blockers will probably kill it soon.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Personally, while the Internet has clearly done terrible things to this country (e.g., millennials), I think that cable TV is what really nosedived the country into a cultural dumpster fire. Every once in a while I call up the "Vast Wasteland" speech and just shake my drat head at how unfortunately prescient it was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_and_the_Public_Interest

I think reality TV and corporate news media have done more damage than the Internet has, although of course the Internet is also terrible. Where does nuGBS fall on the question of which has been more responsible for the sad state of current affairs?

Full disclosure: I do own a TV, but do not have cable.

I think your desire to demonize things that aren't that bad, or aren't even bad at all, by arbitrarily adding on 'evil' words and 'scary' BS fluff is what is really hurting the US.

OMG corporate news media! It sounds so scary! It must be some evil thing with an agenda out to get us all!!!!!
In reality, every news show on TV has been corporate. Literally, they all are corporate news media! So you are against public and private reporting of news. In all legitimate form. That is your literal stance that you just posted in GBS and expect people to side with you.
Literally, the only requirement to be a corporation is to spend the $250 to incorporate your media business. Everyone who has half a shred of brains and runs a business has done just that.

OMG Reality TV!!!! Better ban it because I, a free thinker who champions people's rights, have arbitrarily decided that it is bad and people shouldn't watch it.

Holy crap, someone from years ago didn't like a thing that is incredibly popular today! Better listen to random person because my college processor said a random string of words while he was having his 3rd seizure and I now agree with this speech. Literally, pick anything. Literally anything. Someone did a speech just as pointless touting its evils and those evils are just as unfounded as the one you posted.

And don't get me started on how awesome the Internet is. Literally, the only people who want to stop the free flow of ideas and concepts are people who want to enslave and subjugate the masses. Stuff you don't like is going to make it through. Deal with it and run with the punches. It's call humanity.

TLDR: OP is literally Mecha Mao-Stalin and should be exiles to the moon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Mass media is very scary and always changing. But is it really poisoning our society but instead rather a reflection of it. Instead of demonizing it maybe we should take it upon ourselves to educate our own persons and our children on how to consume media messages, and in turn society's reflection would change.

*dies of a brain aneurysm*

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
TV can only coddle and cater to a limited spectrum of peoples worst traits. There are far more people than channels, and the flow of information is heavily weighted in one direction. TV can only help people justify being terrible to a degree.

The internet allows people to seek reinforcement of their hosed up value system no matter how jumbled and esoteric it is. Anyone into anything in any combination of flavors can find people who will support and encourage whatever behavior they want to get reinforced. And as an added bonus they get to add their own voice to the mix.

TV caters to the lowest common denominator, but the internet lets us find and then lower the bar for the lowest common denominator on an exponential acceleration curve.

So the internet does more damage, but I love them both the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Farg posted:

80s and 90s sucked. No AC Or 3G. If you disagree go jerk off to stranger things

Sorry you grew up in a third world country. All three of my parents houses from '75-up had AC and the two from 86-up had central air. Didn't have 3G, but we had a bag phone in the car and dial up BBSs and Prodigy at home until' 94 when the www became available locally.

• Locked thread