Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I've been searching, without success, for a good bit of poetry to read at my sister's wedding. She's requested I do a reading "with (your) special touch to it", by which she means something somewhat subversive and inappropriate. Yeah, I'm an anti-social failure. Anyway, I think it'd be at least mildly humorous to read your standard bit of love poetry glurge that everyone only half pays attention to, and then reveal at the end it was written by someone terrible. Hitler would be ideal, but he was pretty asexual, and not into poetry. Stalin was a decent poet in his early years, but I can only find 3 of his poems translated. Osama Bin Laden wrote a bunch of poems, but again, I can't find any English translations. Librarians have gone "Oh, that's funny", but haven't been able to come up with anything other than a book that isn't in our system. Can the power of goons help me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
just read baudelaire dude. he's vaguely romantic but also rife with corruption and sin, which is more tasteful and less sophomoric than reading bin laden at a wedding

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 2, 2016

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Please don't read Bin Laden poems at your sister's wedding OP.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
She asked me to do something sophomoric though... and she's literally the person who married me to my husband. I want to do exactly what she wants me to do. Do you have any better ideas? I'm willing to listen.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Elliot Rodgers probably wrote some terrible love poems.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Domus posted:

I've been searching, without success, for a good bit of poetry to read at my sister's wedding. She's requested I do a reading "with (your) special touch to it", by which she means something somewhat subversive and inappropriate. Yeah, I'm an anti-social failure. Anyway, I think it'd be at least mildly humorous to read your standard bit of love poetry glurge that everyone only half pays attention to, and then reveal at the end it was written by someone terrible. Hitler would be ideal, but he was pretty asexual, and not into poetry. Stalin was a decent poet in his early years, but I can only find 3 of his poems translated. Osama Bin Laden wrote a bunch of poems, but again, I can't find any English translations. Librarians have gone "Oh, that's funny", but haven't been able to come up with anything other than a book that isn't in our system. Can the power of goons help me?

Stalin was a noble hero of the people so he doesn't fit your requirements in any case

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Alternatively you could just write your own poem and then credit it to Idi Amin or whatever.

Who's likely to check?

Or just get a really debauched poem by a fairly innocuous poet. The Platonic Blow by W. H. Auden would be a good choice.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 2, 2016

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ayatollah khomeini wrote a whole bunch of ghazal poetry

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

ulvir posted:

ayatollah khomeini wrote a whole bunch of ghazal poetry

Ooo, now this is what I'm looking for. I can probably make this work. Thank you!

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways
I wish I were a less judgmental man, but you're an asinine goon, OP. like Christ, I will strive to forgive you.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Domus posted:

Ooo, now this is what I'm looking for. I can probably make this work. Thank you!

you realize there will be grownups in attendance, right

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I guess I just don't understand the hate. I'm supposed to do something inappropriate. This is inappropriate, without hurting anyone, or even swearing. My sister asked for it, so it's not like I'm doing it out of spite. I'm open to other ideas. And those poems are pretty standard love poem type things. If you actually read them, they're quite mundane. Now reading The Platonic Blow, that would be out of line.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Domus posted:

I guess I just don't understand the hate. I'm supposed to do something inappropriate. This is inappropriate, without hurting anyone, or even swearing. My sister asked for it, so it's not like I'm doing it out of spite. I'm open to other ideas. And those poems are pretty standard love poem type things. If you actually read them, they're quite mundane. Now reading The Platonic Blow, that would be out of line.

It's just kind of stupid and makes you seem dumb.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Like I said, I'm open to suggestions...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Domus posted:

Bukowski's "blue moon, oh bleweeww mooooon how i adore you!"

It's the most brilliant love sonnet ever written. if you disagree, you're probably wrong. anyways, this is it:

‘blue moon, oh bleweeww mooooon how i adore you!’

I care for you, darling, I love you,
the only reason I hosed L. is because you hosed
Z. and then I hosed R. and you hosed N.
and because you hosed N. I had to gently caress
Y. But I think of you constantly, I feel you
here in my belly like a baby, love I’d call it,
no matter what happens I’d call it love, and so
you hosed C. and then before I could move
you hosed W., so then I had to gently caress D. But
I want you to know that I love you, I think of you
constantly, I don’t think I’ve ever loved anybody
like I love you.

bow wow bow wow wow
bow wow bow wow wow.

-Charles Bukowski

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Domus posted:

examine yourself and your life

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Manuel du Boccage has some nice poems like "anal sex sonnet", "deciphered dick", "poem of a making GBS threads lady" etc. All great to read at the family wedding. They're in portuguese though, dunno if theres some english translation.

(I'd go with Baudelaire as someone said earlier)

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Domus posted:

It sounds like she's trying to pigeonhole your style, and you should shock her by reading instead a great poem about war, industrialism, death or even the awful nature of marriage to get back at her and impress the eight or nine goons who have posted in this thread. Here's my recommendation!

Anthem for Doomed Youth
BY WILFRED OWEN

What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
— Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries now for them; no prayers nor bells;
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,—
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;
And bugles calling for them from sad shires.

What candles may be held to speed them all?
Not in the hands of boys, but in their eyes
Shall shine the holy glimmers of goodbyes.
The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall;
Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Domus posted:

This is a stupendously bad idea and I would strongly recommend against it. At least get someone from far back enough in history that the scars have faded if you absolutely must. Like at least Victorian, possibly Elizabethan: Byron was an entertaining shithead and Marlowe had a real interesting life.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Marlow and Byron are known as poets, though. That kind of ruins the joke. Anyway, I think everyone is overestimating the seriousness of this occasion. Due to work-visa issues, they already legally married. This is just the original wedding date, more of a cause for both families to get together, because his parents couldn't attend the first one. Which I think they're pretty pissed about, but that's a whole other story.

Also, thanks guys, now google thinks I like poems, and making GBS threads ladies.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Domus posted:

I'm supposed to do something inappropriate.

That is a paradox. It is the sound of one hand clapping (at a wedding reception).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I feel like it's more in the spirit of Something Awful to give somebody ample rope to hang themselves with, and so I present to you Elizabeth Wettlaufer, a registered nurse, proud mother of three cats, and amateur poet. Oh, and she's been charged with the murder of eight patients. She wrote under the pseudonym bettyweston at allpoetry.com. Please remember all poets are presumed innocent until proven guilty, so this is only the work of a potential serial killer.

These poems are about what you would expect. Some examples:

The sex life of a serial killing cat lady:

quote:

I never

I never gave in to it
the urge to experience
the urge to entwine arms, legs, skin, souls.
I watched you and yearned
but wouldn't admit
what I wanted, needed, dreamed of.
You smiled, I smiled.
Sweet conversation and pounding heart and sweaty palms all happened
but that was all I allowed myself.
Terrified to even steal a single kiss
And now I wonder why.
Why did I keep myself apart
why did I give in to so called morality
why did I let rules rule me.
Here on this bald scalped, emaciated, tortured bed
I wish.
I could have had a sweet burning memory to fill me
while life empties,
but I chose chastity
and she is a poor companion
now that most of what I feel is pained
and fading and almost finality.
As my life is measured by intravenous drops,
I yearn for the ghost of a touch
that was never conceived.
My life had no birth of passion
but now it has a death
to all and everything
and even to how I wish I had given in.

Then there's this gem which I imagine the prosecutor would very much like to read out to the jury:

quote:

Inevitable.

She watches some life drain
from the notch in his neck vein.
As it soothingly pools
it smothers her pain.
Sweet stiletto so sharp
craves another cut.
Obeying a call
she moves to his gut.
Blade traces a line
from navel to spine
grating on rib bones
slicing intestine.
Her knife sings a love song
to the splattering gore
slicing through breast bone
romancing some more.
Heart beats then sprays
as this next victim pays
her deft dagger's bill.
Does it quench her craze?
Sharp thirst recedes
as she dances in blood
satiated for now
no longer a flood.
The macabre waltz ended
her desire has been tended
by drinking the death brew
that her passion blended.
All others are safe
from obsession's greed
until she hears again
from her knife and her need.

:stare:

I think this next one is more of an attempt to write an, ahem, conventional love poem. It's the closest to what you asked for, but your audience would have to be pretty drunk not to notice just how bad this is.

quote:

Do opposites detract?

My eyes sees, my heart feels.
My heart does not see
my eyes does not feel.
So where does that leave me
in this moment of steel?
My legs run, my lungs breathe
so planned, so expected,
My ears hear, my hands grab
So real, so accepted.
But what about when
these rules don't apply
what about then
is there still an I?
What if my heart runs
my eyes breathe, my lungs see
my ears grab, my legs beat
is there still a me?
What if my mind flows
my soul thinks, my blood prays?
Where am I left then,
What would they say?
Yes what will they say
when the real truth is known?
When it is found out
what I do alone?
When they catch my eyes grabbing
legs thinking, lungs praying,
when they find out the truth
Will I still be staying?
Or will them make me into a they?
Make my ears hear, lungs breathe,
soul pray.
Make me into their statue
a fake copy of me
Will inside I know
Will I still be free?
For my heart sees, my eyes beat
my lungs know to pray
My blood breathes, my mind runs
and hides
For today.

And here's a nice little easter egg for any Seinfeld fans out there:

quote:

Serenity Now

The dog at my feet
the cat on the couch
the birds in their house
they all can vouch
that tonight I am settled and calm and at home
my body is still, my mind does not roam
for a change I am tranquil, peaceful, at rest
my heart is not beating out of its chest
and even though I could not truly believe
serenity now I have shortly achieved.

I guess it's true what they say.

I don't know if any of these will suit your purpose. If your idea was to read something actually beautiful and then drop the bombshell that it was written by some kind of monster. But you wanted serial killer poetry so here you go.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Helsing posted:

I feel like it's more in the spirit of Something Awful to give somebody ample rope to hang themselves with, and so I present to you Elizabeth Wettlaufer, a registered nurse, proud mother of three cats, and amateur poet. Oh, and she's been charged with the murder of eight patients. She wrote under the pseudonym bettyweston at allpoetry.com. Please remember all poets are presumed innocent until proven guilty, so this is only the work of a potential serial killer.

These poems are about what you would expect. Some examples:

The sex life of a serial killing cat lady:

Then there's this gem which I imagine the prosecutor would very much like to read out to the jury:

:stare:

I think this next one is more of an attempt to write an, ahem, conventional love poem. It's the closest to what you asked for, but your audience would have to be pretty drunk not to notice just how bad this is.

And here's a nice little easter egg for any Seinfeld fans out there:

I guess it's true what they say.

I don't know if any of these will suit your purpose. If your idea was to read something actually beautiful and then drop the bombshell that it was written by some kind of monster. But you wanted serial killer poetry so here you go.

These poems are all unremarkable and you're not funny

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
just let this stupid thread die

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

nikitakhrushchev posted:

Please don't read Bin Laden poems at your sister's wedding OP.

Google search shows Bin Laden recieved some love poems from secret admirers while in prision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I went with the Ayatollah's stuff and it went over fine. Only about half the guests got the joke, but my sister was pleased with it. And that's what counts.

• Locked thread