Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I posted this once and it got gassed for some reason. Recently, a week ago, any full screen video I would play in Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge does this weird stutter and lag type of thing. The video will go slow motion for a couple of seconds, then regular speed for a second and so on. Never did this before. Here's what I recorded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J04jIIL6bm0

This is what I've tried to no success:

- Updated Flash
- Updated Java
- Updated Graphics Card Drivers
- Disabled hardware acceleration
- Cleared cache in Chrome
- Ran virus scans
- Made sure all monitors were set to 60 hz
- Tried this link: http://rextronics.co.uk/general/how-to-fix-jerky-full-screen-youtube-videos-in-google-chrome/

Nothing.

My computer is beastly. No problem there. The video is just fine when it's in the browser window. It's just when it goes full screen. Makes everything full screen unwatchable. What's going on here?

89 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Chrome only lists one Flash player in the plugins, the PPAPI flash.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When you updated the video drivers did you completely remove the old ones using DDU first?

Also, you should really include more information about your hardware - "beastly" is not really helpful. Since you referred to Edge then it is clear you are running Windows 10, but the template for posts is there for a reason. Not knowing what kind of GPU you have or anything else about your specific hardware means that specific advice is that much harder to generate.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
What AV software are you using? I noticed recently when watching amazon video in fullscreen in the past year or so I've had to disable Avast or run into the same problem.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

quote:

Windows 10
Intel i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
16 GB of Ram
GeForce GTX 970
3 Monitor Setup + Mirroring my first screen to my HDTV when I want to play Steam or watch a movie

No problems until a week ago.

My virus scan/anything is CCleaner and Windows Defender.

I did not use DDU. I used GeForce Experience to update as I always do. Sorry for the lack of info, guys.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

89 posted:

No problems until a week ago.

My virus scan/anything is CCleaner and Windows Defender.

I did not use DDU. I used GeForce Experience to update as I always do. Sorry for the lack of info, guys.

Nvidia has put out a bunch of crap drivers this year. I'd strongly suggest using DDU to completely blow out the old drivers and do a fresh install of the latest ones. If nothing else it helps to reduce the number of possible variables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, I followed through and used DDU to uninstall all of my display drivers and started clean with a new graphics driver.

Now, there's horizontal screen tearing :(

Of note, I do mirror my main screen to my HDTV in my living room. But I've neeeeever had any problems with this setup.

I've gone into NVideo Control Panel and turned on VSync for Google Chrome, but both On and Adaptive doesn't help the screen tearing. Still tears after disabling hardware acceleration.

89 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 8, 2016

• Locked thread