Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
New studies came out that said flossing didn't actually do anything for cavities so 9/11 needs to be remembered even harder than normal OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Jesus Christ posted:

I'm actually currently breeding snails for this purpose. In just a small aquarium with a dozen or so full grown snails you can grow hundreds of baby snails monthly, and they're perfect for cleaning your teeth. Place a few in your mouth before you go to sleep and let them get to work, you'll wake up with fresher teeth than you ever could with floss and brushing.

I like this idea on the basis of cooperation and mutual benefit between man and animal, but I fear that if something went wrong I could easily end up violating my vegetarian beliefs. Maybe I could create little safety harnesses for the snails.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Spiders accomplish this same task. They clean your teeth when there aren't enough bugs to eat. The average adult swallows several spiders a night so I recommend a jaw guard to prevent us from swallowing our friends and getting extra cavities.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLightPurges posted:

New studies came out that said flossing didn't actually do anything for cavities so 9/11 needs to be remembered even harder than normal OP.
It's for gum health, not cavities.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gum disease is an autoimmune disorder, btw, so if you don't want mouth AIDS you should floss.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gum disease is an autoimmune disorder, btw, so if you don't want mouth AIDS you should floss.

If its an autoimmune disorder then flossing would do nothing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLightPurges posted:

If its an autoimmune disorder then flossing would do nothing.
Autoimmune disease would be more accurate. Bacteria builds up on the teeth touching the gums, the body responds by pulling gum tissue away from the tooth/breaking down connectors. This causes gum recession, pockets, etc. But it's an immune response to what the body thinks is an infection.

This is all from memory, I am not a dentist. So I may be misremembering the specifics.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

Autoimmune disease would be more accurate. Bacteria builds up on the teeth touching the gums, the body responds by pulling gum tissue away from the tooth/breaking down connectors. This causes gum recession, pockets, etc. But it's an immune response to what the body thinks is an infection.

This is all from memory, I am not a dentist. So I may be misremembering the specifics.

It is an infection. We don't say a fever is an autoimmune problem.

Autoimmune disorders are when your body attacks your cells even when you are otherwise healthy.

Sorry I'm a goon and cant help myself.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLightPurges posted:

It is an infection. We don't say a fever is an autoimmune problem.

Autoimmune disorders are when your body attacks your cells even when you are otherwise healthy.

Sorry I'm a goon and cant help myself.
No, you're right. I am not a medical person.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

TheLightPurges posted:

It is an infection.

Nah, if FAU's info is correct there is a little more going on. The gum damage is caused by the immune response, basically the body detects the bacterial infection and tells the gums to get the gently caress out of dodge. I don't know if that's right though. I'm ocd about oral hygiene but I haven't actually looked into the science of things.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
lol @ all of you debating whether gum disease is a disorder or an infection when we already established its a conspiracy by Obama

read the loving thread, jesus christ

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The study just said that they didn't find conclusive evidence that flossing reduces gum disease. But all the dentists still say to do it, so I will.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Moon Atari posted:

Nah, if FAU's info is correct there is a little more going on. The gum damage is caused by the immune response, basically the body detects the bacterial infection and tells the gums to get the gently caress out of dodge. I don't know if that's right though. I'm ocd about oral hygiene but I haven't actually looked into the science of things.
I had a good dentist who was willing to go into the science behind stuff, so I'm just passing on that info secondhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I'm kind of a medical person so I get spergy bout stuff like that. Usually when we say someone has an autoimmune disorder they are having their own body attack them when nothing else is going on. Like MS.

However when we get a fever when we get sick it can cause damage to our body but we don't consider it an autoimmune disorder, just an immune response that can have negative side effect.

Receding gums and chronic inflammation is an immune response to a bacterial infection. Not an autoimmune disorder.

Remember 9/11 and be as pedantic as humanly possible in your daily life

• Locked thread