Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

azren posted:

So, any chance of a link for that Way of the Samurai lp? I'm not finding anything on the Master List except for a screenshot lp of the first game.

Turns out it was Way of the Samurai 1 by My Name Is Kaz but it was in 2014 so forgive me for not remembering properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I finally murder people in this episode. Enjoy!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Love the Muishinjin school's students beating the poo poo out of you. You got so lucky.
Isshin style's moves aren't slow, Kakuma's students just have beyond pathetic attack speed.
Fudo is the real slow school, the only fast move they have is their special. One of the openers that none of the students has is vaguely medium speed but everything else is way exaggerated put your back into poo poo. It's also the smallest moveset, with a grand total of 6 moves, with names like Biting Steel and Cut Down.
Shigetoshi is all fun and games til you dodge a combo but Cut Down clips your ankle for 90% of your bar or he pulls his special out of his rear end and you either block it or die.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 18, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A tournament arc next? :cripes: I didn't think this had enough of a plot to make bad, but here we are.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Love the Muishinjin school's students beating the poo poo out of you. You got so lucky.
Isshin style's moves aren't slow, Kakuma's students just have beyond pathetic attack speed.
Fudo is the real slow school, the only fast move they have is their special. One of the openers that none of the students has is vaguely medium speed but everything else is way exaggerated put your back into poo poo. It's also the smallest moveset, with a grand total of 6 moves, with names like Biting Steel and Cut Down.
Shigetoshi is all fun and games til you dodge a combo but Cut Down clips your ankle for 90% of your bar or he pulls his special out of his rear end and you either block it or die.

Kumomushin-school is the one I did 99% of my grinding against after this episode, because they are hilariously easy to parry.

AlphaKretin posted:

A tournament arc next? :cripes:

I don't know if there's enough there to call it an 'arc' but yes, we are now tasked with winning the Imperial tournament.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CirclMastr posted:

we are now tasked with winning the Imperial tournament.
Are there any giant pots involved?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Are there any giant pots involved?

I won't spoil anything but something giant is involved.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do we ever get to just roam around killing dudes in duels?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

I think you have this confused with a game that's actually fun.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

So between recording commentary for episodes 3 and 4, Danaru decided to get just about as drunk as I've ever seen him. How drunk is that? Here's a handy chart courtesy of his Metal Gear Solid series LP:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I will make no admissions, and no denials

azren
Feb 14, 2011

:spergin:
Yeah, assuming even half the stories about him are true, Musashi was a major badass. This is a guy who said, "wait a second, guys, we have a second sword with us. Why the hell are we only using one?" and invented a style based around the Japanese equivalent of Florentine fencing. According to the linked article, he had his first successful duel with a samurai at 13 years old.

No, I'm not a Musashi fanboy, why do you ask?

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

marshmallow creep posted:

You sort of can in the sequel
as it both has underground "night" tournaments that use real swords and beat em up style missions where you just go around cutting up dudes

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let no one say we did not whiff until the last...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I DO NOT REMEMBER THIS GHOST FIGHT WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

This is how I know you were super drunk for the last two episodes.

I hope you at least remember the amazing end credits music.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I played Kengo a bit for an afternoon as a preteen and had a good time. It wasn't bushido blade--an actual Good Game--but it was fine. The dude I was playing with knew how to work the early 00's satellite TV network to tap in the gaming TV into the playboy channel the adults were watching in the next room. Reading this thread I'm thinking the previous sentence was most of why I think Kengo was worth a poo poo. This is 100% of my IRL experience with Kengo: Master of Bushido

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Danaru posted:

Kill Buddha, Dan.

Do it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
drat, I was really hoping that you could fight your father (and then Buddha) like your Master ordered.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

drat, I was really hoping that you could fight your father (and then Buddha) like your Master ordered.

I'm assuming it's based on/a butchery of:

quote:

Embrace nothing:
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your father, kill your father.
Only live your life as it is,
Not bound to anything.

And frankly, bookending the game with getting schooled by the master at the beginning and then schooling him at the end is one of very few points in the game's favor.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
don't be ruddha to buddha

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Danaru posted:

don't be ruddha to buddha

counterpoint: the buddha nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxloUBCYuFM

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

After watching this, Circlmastr shared a different koan with me, it goes as follows:

Once upon a time these monks had a cat and they all liked the cat because the little dude knew what was up, then the butcher came out and said "Someone tell me why I shouldn't kill this cat" and everyone was like what the gently caress but no one gave him a reason, so he killed the cat.

Later on the Master came back and the monks were like "holy gently caress we had a cat and the butcher killed it" so the master put his shoes on his head, then tripped and fell up his own rear end in a top hat so hard that he literally disappeared up his own rear end with a light pop sound.

I meditated on this koan for a while and discovered that I don't care for Buddhism.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This was a good LP for a go- hmm.

Well, a game. Compared to some other bad game LPs I can at least see someone sitting down and playing this of they had absolutely nothing else to do.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

After watching this, Circlmastr shared a different koan with me, it goes as follows:

Dan's just mad because he witnessed how awesome my next LP will be.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

This was a good LP for a go- hmm.

Well, a game. Compared to some other bad game LPs I can at least see someone sitting down and playing this of they had absolutely nothing else to do.

The hell else was there to do in spring 2001 when you were done with the launch titles?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well I mean that's what I'm conceding, it's perfectly playable. Compare, say oh God I'm drawing a blank Limbo of the Lost.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AlphaKretin posted:

Well I mean that's what I'm conceding, it's perfectly playable. Compare, say oh God I'm drawing a blank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQhhsZCvpU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Play more ps1 games

God knows thats what I did when I got my ps2 and got tired of SSX and tekken tag.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 2, 2016

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
That was... truly something. I'm not sure what, and it probably wasn't good, but it was something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

dis astranagant posted:

Sword of the Samurai is weird. Your forms get 1 canned combo and then something like 18 slots for guard breakers and just guard counters. And I never did figure out just how you learn new moves, they just kinda happen after fights.

Thanks to this lp I caved in and looked not only for my old copy of sword of the samurai but also how to get it running on a ps2 emulator properly

So far as I have figured out, you learn moves by either praying them or just seeing the enemy use a full combo/land a particular move on you
Though I am still unsure, because there have been 2 or 3 times out of 10 that it did not consistently happen

Also, the sequel is absolutely amazing compared to this one
Parying or breaking guard feels so much more satisfying than anything in this game looks XD

Though both do share one thing
The tutorial/prelude is rather long

• Locked thread