Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Problem description: I want to print using an EPSON Stylus SX 210 that is plugged on a USB port on a Windows 7 laptop. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04. I can select the make and model of the printer but I can't for the life of me find a way to set the proper URI path to the printer when asked in the Printer/properties window.

Attempted fixes: Different paths including:
smb://WORKGROUP/laptopname/print
smb://WORKGROUP/laptopname/print$
smb://WORKGROUP/laptopname/
smb://laptopname
smb://laptopname/print
smb://laptopname/print$

I only used print$ because there is a folder in that name that appears on the network when I access shared folders. I don't the name of the printer, which seems to be the only thing missing that I need to do!?

I get various errors such as: Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED) or Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds...

Recent changes: I moved to Ubuntu 16.04 from windows 10. I could connect to & print from the same printer from Windows 10.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I can click things and type commands in a terminal but don't expect much expertise from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Does this help at all? I'm not a linux guy at all: http://www.howtogeek.com/191323/how-to-share-printers-between-windows-mac-and-linux-pcs-on-a-network/

the access shared printer from linux section uses ubuntu 14.04 but I don't think it would change that drastically?

*edit* the NT_STATUS blah blah message seems to point at a permissions issue, also found this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/557001/permission-denied-when-sharing-folders

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 5, 2016

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
I'm dumbfounded.

I uninstalled the printer I had ill-installed, followed through the instructions and it worked fine, including installing some missing libraries along the way.
I had tried install "network printer" instead of "Install Windows printer via SAMBA".

Turns out he URI was: smb://WORKGROUP/<laptopname>/EPSON%20SX210%20Series

Thanks.

^It did ask for a username/password so I plugged them in and it works fine!

Do I lock the thread?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Do I lock the thread?

No, most people don't bother doing that.

• Locked thread