Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I just bought a house. On this house, the front steps are covered in paver stones, just like this picture:
(not my house)

Some of the stones have come loose from the concrete. Whatever the adhesive was has given way and they are completely loose.

I have used a chisel and scrapers to remove the old adhesive remnants. Since then, I have dried my steps as thoroughly as they can and the stones as well. I went to Lowe's and bought a tube of Landscape Adhesive that came in a caulking bottle. It was Loctite brand. Can't remember the model, but it was for stones, brick, concrete, etc. I did like it said and applied to and laid the pavers back in place. I placed big heavy things on the stones so they'd settle nice and tight. 24-48 hours later, I would check them and they were still totally loose, the adhesive looking like it never began to dry.

Right around this time, the weather turned very bad. It was raining every other day and dropping to the ~40°F at night. I removed all adhesive, dried everything out again, and used another brand. Same thing.

Tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I should do differently.

I did some initial research and it said I could use Type S mortar instead of adhesive. I have a huge 80 lb bag sitting in the trunk of my car, ready to go. I am reluctant to do this because I'm not a mason. The stones won't settle evenly and it probably won't look very good. What else can I do?

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Thinset.

Its basically an adhesive mortar for slate, tile, etc. Any masonry supply company will have it in ~45lb bags. Maybe at the big boxes too.

I would go to a masonry supply company and ask. I drove lifts at one for many summers. The guys in the sales office will know exactly what you need.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 8, 2016

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I read about thinset. The bags I found at the store were for interior use only. Can you link to an outdoor product so I can try to find it in my area?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

johnny sack posted:

I read about thinset. The bags I found at the store were for interior use only. Can you link to an outdoor product so I can try to find it in my area?

The brands vary by region. Find your local masonry supply yard and go in tomorrow and they will probably be able to set you up.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
++ find a guy at a stone/brick yard and ask.

Mortar is not as hard as you think. (Pun intended.) Add water, stir, plop down, set brick. If brick isn't even, add/remove mortar as needed. Replace brick. You can buy small quantities (20lb) of mortar at a big box store.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

johnny sack posted:

I did some initial research and it said I could use Type S mortar instead of adhesive. I have a huge 80 lb bag sitting in the trunk of my car, ready to go. I am reluctant to do this because I'm not a mason. The stones won't settle evenly and it probably won't look very good. What else can I do?

Gee I dunno maybe hire a mason then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Thinset would be ideal but if your not feeling confident in that then Sika construction adhesive will work great. Its a little pricey but its drat good.

• Locked thread