Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Their name being "stupid newbie" gives away that it's a goon. Which one of you is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

oh yeah, deffo want to participate. i looked it up and the euro model of the prius is exactly the same as the US one, and people cruise at 90 and 100 on the autobahn in them without issue. plus it's just fun to do motorsports poo poo in a prius for the troll factor lol

Absolutely! The lower classes have people bringing daily drivers just to driver faster than normal. I've seen a Prius in the 95mph class, I've seen things like a pretty stock 67 Impala SS wagon running running in the 125 class which had me giving it the squint eye pretty hard.

Some of the memorable ones, not including NASCARS, Corvettes or Panteras:
code:
Class   Year\Model                 Speed (MPH)
UL      1966 Chevelle              240 (DNF)
UL      1969 Camaro                202 (185 Avg)
UL      1971 Camaro                214 (DNF)
UL      1986 Trans AM              207 (183 Avg)
UL      1962 Dodge Polara 500      193 (177 Avg)
UL      2004 350Z                  180 (167 Avg)
180     1936 Ford F1 Pickup        175 (174 Avg)
180     1971 Corvair               182 (178 Avg)		
180     1965 Corvair               207 (180 Avg)
170     1990 Silverado Pickup      180 (155 Avg)
160     1991 BMW M5                178 (161 Avg)
160     1982 Trans Am              178
160     1967 Mustang               167
150     1990 Chrysler LeBaron      151 (149 Avg)
150     1970 Camaro                159
150     1982 Firebird              149	
150     1993 Mazda RX7             158
145     1965 Rambler               159
145     1963 Ford Galaxie          159 (151 Avg)
140     1964 AMC Classic           118
125     1955 Studebaker Commander  129
125     1967 Impala SS             125
125     2002 Nussan Maxima         140 (124 Avg)
120     2004 Neon SRT4             119 (119 Avg)      
105     2002 Mini Copper S         116 (111 Avg)
95      1936 Ford mod 68 Coupe     108

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

BitBasher posted:

code:

Unsafe at any speed indeed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What happened to the 240mph Chevelle? Did it disintegrate and that's why it didn't finish? Is that how you got the shell for this project!?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BitBasher posted:

Absolutely! The lower classes have people bringing daily drivers just to driver faster than normal. I've seen a Prius in the 95mph class, I've seen things like a pretty stock 67 Impala SS wagon running running in the 125 class which had me giving it the squint eye pretty hard.

Some of the memorable ones, not including NASCARS, Corvettes or Panteras:
code:
UL      1966 Chevelle              240 (DNF)
UL      1969 Camaro                202 (185 Avg)
UL      1971 Camaro                214 (DNF)
UL      1986 Trans AM              207 (183 Avg)
UL      1962 Dodge Polara 500      193 (177 Avg)
UL      2004 350Z                  180 (167 Avg)
180     1936 Ford F1 Pickup        175 (174 Avg)
170     1990 Silverado Pickup      180 (155 Avg)
160     1991 BMW M5                178 (161 Avg)
160     1982 Trans Am              178
160     1967 Mustang               167
150     1990 Chrysler LeBaron      151 (149 Avg)
150     1970 Camaro                159
150     1982 Firebird              149	
150     1993 Mazda RX7             158
145     1965 Rambler               159
145     1963 Ford Galaxie          159 (151 Avg)
140     1964 AMC Classic           118
125     1955 Studebaker Commander  129
125     1967 Impala SS             125
125     2002 Nussan Maxima         140 (124 Avg)
120     2004 Neon SRT4             119 (119 Avg)      
105     2002 Mini Copper S         116 (111 Avg)
95      1936 Ford mod 68 Coupe     108

How the hell did they get a 1990 LeBaron up to 151? I had a 91' hardtop, and that thing got seriously floaty above 95.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

How are we not talking about that 155avg Silverado?

That's the real story here.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

That is as fast as every company Silverado goes so not really interesting.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, "the fastest car is the car you don't own", sure, but 155mph? I doubt most Silverados could do that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

I mean, "the fastest car is the car you don't own", sure, but 155mph? I doubt most Silverados could do that.

I like how far the average is from the high, there must have been a slight breeze giving it a huge push in one direction and slowing it down to a crawl on the other. Considering the aerodynamics of a dang 1990 Silverado.

Trucks are some of my favorite hot rods. Stripped down, dropped, big rear end motor. Like the last kind of car available that you can do it for cheap thanks to their old architecture. The same stuff you can do to a 1966 Chevelle can be done to a 1998 Silverado for the same budget.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

KillHour posted:

What happened to the 240mph Chevelle? Did it disintegrate and that's why it didn't finish? Is that how you got the shell for this project!?

Nah, it had oil cooling issues that the owner could never fully resolve. He made several runs in it but eventually retired the car. Here's an article about it: https://www.motortrend.com/events/0903chp-1966-chevy-chevelle-silver-state-classic-challenge-drive/

My shall came from a local club owner that had hired a somewhat dubious mechanic in Florida to make it into a car solely for the reason that he had something cool looking to drive to compare favorably to his customers, but it turned into a money pit according to him. I think he dramatically underestimated the cost of a project like this. All it was was a shell. A Rusty shell that looked good from the outside. I think the mechanic was taking him for a ride.

StormDrain posted:

I like how far the average is from the high, there must have been a slight breeze giving it a huge push in one direction and slowing it down to a crawl on the other. Considering the aerodynamics of a dang 1990 Silverado.

There's only one direction! The one way run is bacically This: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lun...33!2d37.6282856

But a hair shorter by about a mile. 90 miles total. There are some really long straights but it's not perfectly smooth, it's just a 2 lane public highway. If you want speed, you brute force it. It's worth noting the all time high average speed was a hair over 219 average in a modified NASCAR.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 18, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I am absolutely renting a lambo in vegas and doing that at some point.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

KillHour posted:

I am absolutely renting a lambo in vegas and doing that at some point.

It happens, but you'll need it for 3 days or so all in, also beware of rental speed governors, although the first time you race you are limited to the 95 mph class I believe...

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

god i wish the drat thing would rotate that easily and smoothly

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Saw this photo elsewhere and thought of this thread:

I'm sure the body shop can fix this.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Saw this photo elsewhere and thought of this thread:

I'm sure the body shop can fix this.

C pillars and roof struts out of the water, it can be fixed! :v:

On a related note I'm well on target to have the chassis cash by the time it's not freezing in the Chicago, because I'm not driving in snow and ice. I'm pretty much there now.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 8, 2022

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Short update. I have the cash for the chassis now, but life has been preoccupied with hearing and hearing aid failure and cochlear implant surgery. Life just gets in the way, and makes travel difficult.

Also, airbags are now a chassis option that I have been debating.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BitBasher posted:

Short update. I have the cash for the chassis now, but life has been preoccupied with hearing and hearing aid failure and cochlear implant surgery. Life just gets in the way, and makes travel difficult.

Also, airbags are now a chassis option that I have been debating.

Ahh wha would a project thread be without a six month lapse in progress!

Hope you're doing better.

I'd be shocked if you could safely add your own airbags.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm assuming suspension airbags, like Shockwaves or something.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Ahh wha would a project thread be without a six month lapse in progress!

Hope you're doing better.

I'd be shocked if you could safely add your own airbags.

The Roadstershop Fast Track chassis now offers them installed in place of a conventional suspension now. It doesn't say what kind. It's one of the things I plan to ask them. It looks like they take the place of the coilovers, but with an adjustable spring rate.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Juxtaposed next to hearing and surgery I was thinking about dashboard and steering wheel airbags. You know. For safety.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Juxtaposed next to hearing and surgery I was thinking about dashboard and steering wheel airbags. You know. For safety.

If there was a way to do it I would. There are literally no aftermarket airbags full stop as far as I can find.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I don’t even want to think about the BS with after market universal air bag systems and idiots killing themselves installing them.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

I don’t even want to think about the BS with after market universal air bag systems and idiots killing themselves installing them.

Jesus what a nightmare. I used to get paranoid driving around my 1990 e30 that had been in some sort of (non front end collision) accident and had some questionable electrical work done on it... was always worried some PO fuckery would lead to me merrily driving down the freeway when suddenly AIRBAG TO THE FACE.

I can't imagine the poo poo that'd happen with aftermarket stuff.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
considering how precise the timing of airbag inflation needs to be, i can't imagine how an aftermarket kit could be. how would you tune it? how would you test it? how would a layman even know how to get it right, or be able to measure the difference between "saves your life" and "splats your watermelon" even if he knew how to do it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Never gonna happen. No price would be worth litigation that would open you up to.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You are all correct and that's why no one sells them now. Doesn't change that I wish it was possible though. I wish there were better retroactive safety possibilities.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's one of the things I like about more modern cars using retro bodystyles. Cool looks, but modern safety engineering. I don't think there's any way I'd plan to reliably drive most old muscle in anger without a cage.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Some GMT400 guys figured out that you could replace the uppermost section of their steering columns with one from a newer GM product, and bring over the newer steering wheel and its airbag. There are different spline counts and joint sizes, but with some trial and error it seems like there are a lot of options. There's probably a way to bring the whole SRS over from something that would work.

I mean, I wouldn't do that wholesale, but someone will.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Godholio posted:

Some GMT400 guys figured out that you could replace the uppermost section of their steering columns with one from a newer GM product, and bring over the newer steering wheel and its airbag. There are different spline counts and joint sizes, but with some trial and error it seems like there are a lot of options. There's probably a way to bring the whole SRS over from something that would work.

I mean, I wouldn't do that wholesale, but someone will.

Well sure I can go get a Toyota airbag steering wheel and install it on one of my HiAces with no airbag but what would trigger it? How would you co trip it? And keep it from firing unexpectedly if you did wire up airbag sensors and such?

I am usually the king of bad ideas but this seems like about the worst idea ever

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Modern air bag systems are a black box solution that is self contained. Would I install one? No. Would it probably not kill you? Yes.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
it probably wouldn't just randomly inflate and bust you up, but i sure wouldn't trust a retrofit to be tuned properly

im sure we've all seen this propaganda video, but its important to remember that only a few ms makes a big difference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6ywFGcLSk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

I'm pretty sure I'm not comfortable with a mistimed airbag. There's already enough things that can kill me in this car. Interesting though. I didn't know they were all self contained. Also a modern steering wheel in it would look tacky as hell, but to be fair probably not as tacky as some of the things I'm going to do to it.