Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i sit here with a pile of myth and no good relics, which is objectively worse better than the alternative, having no myth and no good relics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

1. Never always pull
2. Always never pull

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dragon_pamcake posted:

Anything else I should be aware of besides only draw from event banners?

Honestly, the Newcomer banners are more of a bad exception than part of a "don't draw from anything but X" rule. Most modern banners are worth drawing on for some reason or other, esp for a new player who doesn't have good synergy anywhere and kind of needs boosts for every role.

Lucky Draws come along about once a month (sometimes more as part of seasonal/festival events) and let you do one 11-pull for 25 mythril instead of 50; these are almost always worthwhile, because even though the item pools tend to be huge like the Newcomer ones they often leave out the oldest stuff and are, you know, half-price for a shot at the good stuff.

Festival banners usuallly come around about once a season, and have assortments of items from many different games for a variety of characters, often without any specific intentional focus. Most of these banners are at least okay if you don't have a bunch of duplicate items from them, and the best of them are sometimes better than normal event banners because they combine several of the best relics from different realms into one drop table.

There's SOMETHING of value on almost every normal event banner these days, though usually each event has one banner that stands out above the other of the two, for example in the current FFT event the first banner (Marche/Ramza/Agrias) is better than the other because Marche and Ramza's stuff is just more universally-helpful than just about any other FFT loot.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
When I fought Famfrit (Hard) in Multiplayer, the eye enemies didn't attack at all and weren't targetable?

I mean it ended up making the fight easier so whatever.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The golden rule I go by is to pull for your favorites. Do I need more IX synergy? No I'm stacked to all hell. Am I gonna pull for Marcus in the upcoming IX event anyways? Hell loving yeah.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I have some time today, so I could whip up a new OP if you guys would like!

I'd need good ideas for titles though.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Never Always Don't Pull

:regd08:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper: just one more pull, I swear

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Grind For Optimal USB Performance

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm the kind of person who would make a reference to the new "Ultra Burst" you can do in Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon because that's both of the best kinds of SBs in this game and... yeah...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Final Fantasy Record Keeper - Hone Sweet Hone

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FF Record Keeper - Synergy Bonus: Adds Small Chance to Make Good Posts

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

dragon_pamcake posted:

Oh my god it is a pain in the rear end to reset this game on android devices. I had to use Bluestacks and a second Google account.

When in doubt, just ask around about banners. Either this thread or our Discord (https://discord.gg/eCv8T8x) is happy to offer opinions on stuff. The FFRK subreddit and gamefaqs boards also have banner reviews and breakdowns posted.

Fair warning is that a lot of the early game will be pretty simple autoattacking. It's a bit deceptive, and eventually the game will turn in to a very boss battle focused game, with a lot of depth and difficulty. So if the early game feels dull, it gets much better!

Attestant fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 3, 2017

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

dragon_pamcake posted:

I restarted within the last year and hindsight being 20/20 I'd probably aim for something like this

First priority is the "holy trinity" of a Medica BSB, Wall and an ATK buff. One of the best ATK buffs in the game just made it's debut, Ramza BSB2. Pull the hell out of that banner till you get one, it's real good. Wall you're likely to be stuck using as a RW for quite some time unfortunately.

Otherwise save your mythril for fests. Once every 3 months is a festival that comes with a bunch of stacked banners, they're usually the best bang for your buck. Keep an eye on this thread and if you see any particular relics people are going nuts for maybe budget an extra pull on that banner. Stuff like Cloud USB, Bartz USB, Tidus USB are complete game changers. You're better off with any one top tier game changing relic than five mediocre things.

Most of the people in the thread have enough relics that the Fest banners tend to be 50% dupes so it can get undersold just how amazing they are. Try to keep that in mind when you hear people ranting about how "bad" the Fest banners are. They're AMAZING if you have zero dupes.

Edit: FFRK: Where We're Going There Are No Walls

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 3, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

BGrifter posted:

First priority is the "holy trinity" of a Medica BSB, Wall and an ATK buff.

This is how I'd define the old trinity, from 2017 newbie perspective:

Medica: AoE heal of some sort, almost any will do. BSB (Burst Soul Break) heals will be ideal as a beginner since they can offer repeated healing commands, but USB (Ultra Soul Break) heals often have much more long term appeal. SSB (Super Soul Break) stuff is a bit outdated now, but will do fine until you get something better.

Hastega: Source of party-wide Haste, often attached to other buffs like +Atk or +Mag. Doesn't necessarily have to be an attack booster though. Basically any Hastega will be really valuable early on, even if it doesn't have stat boosts attached to it.

Wall: Massive defensive buff to the entire party. Currently only available on two very old relics, Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire or Y'shtola's Thyrus. Both currently impossible to get, but you can get access to them via Roaming Warrior. This is why getting a hastega effect should be a priority, since once you have that native, you can focus on using Roaming Warriors to cover Walls for now.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Caution - No Diving, Shallow Relic Pool

Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Out of Magicite, Out of Mind

Final Fantasy Record Keeper: With Our Backs Against the Wall

Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Obsoleting Your Chase Relics Since 2014

Uncle Ulty fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 3, 2017

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Enjoy a 5-star Stay at USB Port!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Four more nightmares to go. Omega Drive, Vilgarmanda, Neo Bahamut and Curada. Curada looks like it'd be fun with a timer display and maddening as-is.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can shortcut curada's gimmick with ninja magic and gumption

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also it's lame but all ive got is "i have no myth and i must pull"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
New thread up everyone! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842508

Winning title from Discord, but I can't remember who called it.

• Locked thread