Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Just use the internet guys

http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/could-furious-7s-skyscraper-jump-really-happen.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Viruswithshoes posted:

What speed in MPH would the car have to be going to make the jump? Assuming the smashing glass doesn't significantly decelerate the car?

About 64mph, which I guess is doable. However, if we were to say the drop is less than 5 floors, then the car would have to be going much faster.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the explosion gives the car a big boost.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
listen im not a scientist or whatever but i know a big boost when i see one

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Smythe posted:

there was a really big gust of wind just off screen you couldn't see it

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

CharlestonJew posted:

there was a really big gust of wind just off screen you couldn't see it

He farted

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
The verdict? “To be honest,” says Professor Loveridge, “that is probably the most plausible stunt in the whole movie.”

Welp I'm convinced

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Smythe posted:

somebody hit their vape offscreen right before the car jumps, if u have the widescreen directors cut it shows him

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

tell me more about this 1,100 square foot car

that's what I get for trying to do math at 3am :(

zedprime posted:

Did you just say a car will take off and fly if it reaches 245 mph? Woah.

Nah it's just at that point it'd probably be going fast enough to cannonball between the skyscrapers after dropping however many stories. Probably not going to land upright though!

naem
May 29, 2011

Fun fact the original Tokyo drift was titled "doki doki panic"

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i wanna see a prequel called Celer et Irae

Vin Diesel plays a star charioteer during the Roman Empire. In order to allow the Emperor's favorite chariot team to win, he is unconstitutionally arrested and held without trial. the ensuing riots almost dethrone the emperor, but the strong female costar convinces the emperor to kill hundreds of people to keep his throne give out modest social reforms to keep the peace

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Some guy on YouTube did the needful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcAaVMw3MUY

naem
May 29, 2011

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

I'd gently caress that car

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bismuth posted:

I'd gently caress that car

Twink poo poo. Post some American Muscle (Protagonist car)

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Smythe posted:

Twink poo poo. Post some American Muscle (Protagonist car)

Maybe I like black twinks, dont kink shame

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i guess i never got far enough in tokyon drift for them to introduce the black twink character

FOMO'ing something fierce right now

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
tftf gave me a fetish for black twinx

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DeusExMachinima posted:

Nah it's just at that point it'd probably be going fast enough to cannonball between the skyscrapers after dropping however many stories. Probably not going to land upright though!
You calculated pounds force acting on the plane of the cars bottom though. If its greater than pounds force weight, also perpendicular to the plane of the cars bottom, by simple vector addition its going to fly. Its almost like a lift calculation doesn't fit the problem statement...

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Fast and furious series is deeper than you think. I learned from watching the first one to live my life a quarter mile at a time.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Doghouse posted:

Fast and furious series is deeper than you think. I learned from watching the first one to live my life a quarter mile at a time.

For those 10 seconds or less, you're free.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I drive a poo poo car so that means I get 30 seconds to be free. Seems like the better end of the deal.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pawn 17 posted:

total distanct traveled x = 48.47 m

48.47 meters = 159.0 feet

idiot

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Lots of bad math in this thread

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Now that i think about it that ending to Tokyo drift was ridiculous. Mustangs are bad drift cars, DK should have won that match easily and made his yakuza uncle proud.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

You calculated pounds force acting on the plane of the cars bottom though. If its greater than pounds force weight, also perpendicular to the plane of the cars bottom, by simple vector addition its going to fly. Its almost like a lift calculation doesn't fit the problem statement...

A car will never take off no matter how much lift it generates because it's thrust is coming from the tires spinning on the ground.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Pussy Quipped posted:

Lots of bad math in this thread
Well you had nothing better to add

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

HAmbONE posted:

But what if he started on a treadmill?

it would need to be inclined

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

You can see twinkie in the background during the intro scenes as an apparition. This further solidifies that Twinkie is the main characters personified desire to be masculine and in the know.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

SPACE HOMOS posted:

You can see twinkie in the background during the intro scenes as an apparition. This further solidifies that Twinkie is the main characters personified desire to be masculine and in the know.

Its strange that hes standing near the evil jocks instead of closer to Sean, maybe that represents some fantasy of 'winning' the affection of his enemies.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Hmm trying to think who in my life might just be some repressed part of my psyche and not a real person...I can think of a bunch lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FedEx Mercury posted:

A car will never take off no matter how much lift it generates because it's thrust is coming from the tires spinning on the ground.

WRONG!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 13, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

banana peels on the tracks, duh

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Some one add a slide whistle

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

STUNNAH STUNNAH ON NUMBER 26 BAH GAWD BAH GAWD HAVE YA NAH SAWL

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm going to try to think back to HS physics class.

Distance between towers: 50m (we need to jump this far)
Drop in floors between towers: 5? (we drop ~15m)

Car jump info!!
initial horizontal velocity: 26.822 meters/second
horizontal velocity: 0 m/s
initial vertical velocity: 0 m/s
vertical velocity -9.8 m/s/s
height y: 15m (drop from 1 tower to the next)
distance traveled for the jump x: ????

using the kinematic equations we should first determine the time of flight

-15m = (0 m/s) * t + 0.5 * -9.8 m/s/s * t^2
-15m = 0.5 * -9.8 m/s/s * t^2
-15m = -4.9 m/s/s * t^2
3.06122 s^2 = t^2
total flight time t = 1.75 seconds

Now we can determine the distance traveled x

x = 26.822 m/s * 1.75 s + 0.5*(0 m/s/s) * 1.75 s ^2
total distanct traveled x = 48.47 m

SO, even if you don't account for the loss of speed breaking through the window and air resistance, the car would fall just short of the other tower and Dom would fall to a fiery death. :(

I would use the x as a known (since we know the distance between the two buildings) and instead solve for y (the drop). Like if the drop was 16m instead of 15m like your assumption, that might be enough to get you over 50m traveled.

You've got gravitational acceleration down as vertical velocity.

x=x0+vx0t+.5axt2
y=y0+vy0t+.5ayt2

x is distance between buildings
x0 is 0
vx0 is how fast you want to go at takeoff
ax is 0 unless you want to get fancy and include drag (in the negative) based on the frontal area of the car
y0 is 0
vy0 is 0
ay is -9.8m/s^2

Your unknowns are t and y, and you have 2 equations to solve for them. If y is greater than however high you think the car jumps from, it'd have hit the ground before reaching the other tower.

Did these guys get enough distance to go between buildings though??

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Good Dog posted:

I would use the x as a known (since we know the distance between the two buildings) and instead solve for y (the drop). Like if the drop was 16m instead of 15m like your assumption, that might be enough to get you over 50m traveled.

You've got gravitational acceleration down as vertical velocity.

x=x0+vx0t+.5axt2
y=y0+vy0t+.5ayt2

x is distance between buildings
x0 is 0
vx0 is how fast you want to go at takeoff
ax is 0 unless you want to get fancy and include drag (in the negative) based on the frontal area of the car
y0 is 0
vy0 is 0
ay is -9.8m/s^2

Your unknowns are t and y, and you have 2 equations to solve for them. If y is greater than however high you think the car jumps from, it'd have hit the ground before reaching the other tower.

Did these guys get enough distance to go between buildings though??

Luckily, I have my Texas Instruments 83 silver. So solving this should be a breeze......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

would

• Locked thread