Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dinner
This poll is closed.
Pastrami on Rye 8 33.33%
Fettuchini Alfredo 16 66.67%
Total: 24 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Robot Made of Meat

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

words to live by.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

joke_explainer posted:

I don't know why everyone is giving Robot Made of Meat a hard time. Fettuccini alfredo is just noodles, butter, and cheese is exactly right.

From wikipedia: "Fettucini alfredo or fettuccine al burro is a pasta dish made from fettuccine tossed with Parmesan cheese and butter."

Parmesan melts with the heated noodles and butter as you toss it to make a creamy sauce. The direct ancestor is Fettuccine alla romana, made by just noodles and parmesan cheese.

The original goes back to at least the 15th century in a cookbook, though it was just a little butter and parmesan, not as much butter as the modern version.

The modern version comes from Alfredo Di Lelio who, at his trattoria in 1914, produced 'fettuccini al triplo burro' or 'fettuccini triple butter'. That would eventually turn into just Fettuccini Alfredo for the cook himself.

If you're imagining it as like mac and cheese you're way off. Anything with cream, eggs, or starch is a bastardization of the original recipe. It could probably still be delicious, but there's something amazingly good about just the freshly melted butter/parmesan or butter/romano sauce, especially with strong fresh ground black pepper, some lemon, etc. Make sure you have really good quality parmigiano reggiano and I recommend a microplane grater, do not in any circumstance use pre-grated parmesan.

Thanks, JE! Real Fettuccine Alfredo is heavenly.

I'm certain that all of the other recipes we're seeing are tasty too . . . I love a nice, creamy cheese sauce with pasta and other things, I was just pointing out that not all macaroni-and-cheese recipes are "Alfredo."

Piso Mojado

joke_explainer posted:

I don't know why everyone is giving Robot Made of Meat a hard time. Fettuccini alfredo is just noodles, butter, and cheese is exactly right.

From wikipedia: "Fettucini alfredo or fettuccine al burro is a pasta dish made from fettuccine tossed with Parmesan cheese and butter."

Parmesan melts with the heated noodles and butter as you toss it to make a creamy sauce. The direct ancestor is Fettuccine alla romana, made by just noodles and parmesan cheese.

The original goes back to at least the 15th century in a cookbook, though it was just a little butter and parmesan, not as much butter as the modern version.

The modern version comes from Alfredo Di Lelio who, at his trattoria in 1914, produced 'fettuccini al triplo burro' or 'fettuccini triple butter'. That would eventually turn into just Fettuccini Alfredo for the cook himself.

If you're imagining it as like mac and cheese you're way off. Anything with cream, eggs, or starch is a bastardization of the original recipe. It could probably still be delicious, but there's something amazingly good about just the freshly melted butter/parmesan or butter/romano sauce, especially with strong fresh ground black pepper, some lemon, etc. Make sure you have really good quality parmigiano reggiano and I recommend a microplane grater, do not in any circumstance use pre-grated parmesan.

I'll keep this recipe in mind if i ever want to make fettuccine alfredo that doesnt taste good, like to punish someone

Robot Made of Meat

Piso Mojado posted:

I'll keep this recipe in mind if i ever want to make fettuccine alfredo that doesnt taste good, like to punish someone

You poor thing.

Piso Mojado

back to business. Im stuck at work so I have to reschedule my dinner plans for tomorrow night, which is good since i've been reading about making my own gnocchi all day and if i go back to the store i could try making it tomorrow.

Robot Made of Meat

Piso Mojado posted:

back to business. Im stuck at work so I have to reschedule my dinner plans for tomorrow night, which is good since i've been reading about making my own gnocchi all day and if i go back to the store i could try making it tomorrow.

Mmmm! Be sure to take pics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afro Doug

carbonara but with pastrami instead of bacon

• Locked thread