Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
WAKE UP.!!!

gotta get out early before the good stuff is gone

a local church is having their yard sale today. much better than going to individual houses cause there's multiple families selling poo poo in one location

looking for some obsolete electronic equipment. maybe some videotapes. retro games are good but hard to find nowadays thanks to scummy resellers

tools too. you always see tools at sales. (you have to have tools if you want to be a manly man)

a lot of stupid kitchen poo poo, clothes, baby's toys. skip all those tables.

then just cruise a couple nearby neighborhoods cause you know you'll come across a few random yard sales too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i like to go hunt for old silver coins and buy them at face value :cool:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know anything about coins

the Pawn Stars guy said he used to go to yard sales as a kid and buy up all the real silver silverware

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm thinking about hitting up a couple yard sales today OP. I am planning on buying anything that I can resell actually.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't know anything about coins

the Pawn Stars guy said he used to go to yard sales as a kid and buy up all the real silver silverware

it's pretty easy actually. if you're American any pre-1965 dime or greater has silver in them. if you can get them at like 1-5x face value you'll more than double your money

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
the secret of yard sales is, people keep all the good stuff inside the house

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zorodius posted:

the secret of yard sales is, people keep all the good stuff inside the house

And they are outside the house, selling their garbage. Sneak in their house and get the good poo poo.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Church yard sale was kind of lame. Last time they had almost the whole parking lot filled with tables and stuff now they just had a small corner. And they didn't have prices on anything they just said "make a donation". Just a way to guilt you into paying too much. The only thing I saw I wanted was a flashlight but I just wanted them to tell me what they wanted not deal with this donation stuff.

I did much better just driving around the neighborhood looking for random houses. At once place I was at two guys came up and asked the lady "do you have that Lionel train you advertised?" and she said no, she had just sold it. I guess everyone wants those trains

I got a tape of hilarious hockey bloopers

and motherfucking lawn darts ! ! !

they don't make 'em like this anymore. can't wait to get drunk and injure people playing with this

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm going to get myself a big bowl of cereal and milk and watch some quality cartoons

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wish i was out doing this instead of taping a boring work meeting this morning. Working Saturdays sucks.

Pro tip? Get a UV flashlight and shine it on glass items. If it glows green its uranium glass and you can prob ebay it for more than you pay for it, since glass poo poo is nearly free at garage sales ajd thrift stores.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I miss yard sales. Its certainly not a thing in the country I now live in.

One of the things I miss most is books. Okay, most of the books you are going to find at yard sales are pretty terrible, not even rising to the level of a guilty pleasure. But I'm in a situation where getting 25 cent Michael Crichton books would be pretty awesome.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

I miss yard sales. Its certainly not a thing in the country I now live in.

One of the things I miss most is books. Okay, most of the books you are going to find at yard sales are pretty terrible, not even rising to the level of a guilty pleasure. But I'm in a situation where getting 25 cent Michael Crichton books would be pretty awesome.

One time I hit up a yard sale, and this old woman had a bunch of semi-obscure novels and plays - Beckett, Pinter, that kind of thing. I lived in a small town, so this was super bizarre and I asked her if she had anything else like this for sale.

She took me to her basement and she had the first editions of all of Hemingways's major novels and all of Fitzgeralds (even the Last Tycoon) and was going to sell them for a buck a piece. But then at the last minute she was like, hmmm, maybe I shouldn't.

Well, like, yeah, you should probably definitely not try and unload those to some rear end in a top hat for a dollar each hahahah.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im going lie quivering in the bath tub instead

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I just took a giant poo poo and now I'm going to drink and cook up some egg and bacon sammys

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ebay has ruined yard sales.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

I would argue that it has enhanced the thrill of going to yard sales

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ein cooler Typ posted:

and motherfucking lawn darts ! ! !

they don't make 'em like this anymore. can't wait to get drunk and injure people playing with this

i remember after my grandmother died i was told i could have a couple things from her place

and i struggled to think of stuff that wouldn't have just been a clutter, so I just took an old stopwatch I used to play with as a kid (i'm still glad I did, it's sitting on my desk right now)

and i remember like a year afterward thinking "...son of a bitch, I should have grabbed the lawn darts!"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

i use eBay to sell the coins I find at yard sales

behold

bought these today for $19, inspired by the op to go yard saling! Thanks op

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i always walk up with a fistfull of bills in hand and ask if they have any tools or old stereo equipment

they never do

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
*Strolls by casually, whistling. VHS tape rewinder catches eye*

"Oh, oh my god, this is the holey grail." :kiddo:

*opens wallet*

"Here just take it, take it all. I have so many unrewound VHS tapes you don't even know omfg" :shepspends:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

why can't they schedule the yard sales at like 5pm when i'm actually awake

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

*Strolls by casually, whistling. VHS tape rewinder catches eye*

"Oh, oh my god, this is the holey grail." :kiddo:

*opens wallet*

"Here just take it, take it all. I have so many unrewound VHS tapes you don't even know omfg" :shepspends:

You laugh at this, but you could buy one at someones yardsell for probably $1-2 and some of the models sell for $15-20 on Ebay.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still at work this sucks

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MiracleWhale posted:

why can't they schedule the yard sales at like 5pm when i'm actually awake

They schedule it at 7am when old people have been awake for a hours and had time to get ready

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
between having to wake my rear end up at such an indecent hour and then having to eBay + mail all that stuff I think I'd rather just sleep in

cool hobby though found any cheap lego?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i bought a GAS ampzilla for 50 bucks from an estate sail

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Waltzing Along posted:

bullshit, it's enhanced them, because anybody that tries that hoity poo poo where they price things Actual Value runs off to ebay now rather than bothering with a yard sale where they have to face thirty stinkeyes for every $79 'antique' end table. yard sales are good poo poo protip: go to yard sales in mexican parts of town, lots of tools, lots of furniture

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jonny 290 posted:

bullshit, it's enhanced them, because anybody that tries that hoity poo poo where they price things Actual Value runs off to ebay now rather than bothering with a yard sale where they have to face thirty stinkeyes for every $79 'antique' end table. yard sales are good poo poo protip: go to yard sales in mexican parts of town, lots of tools, lots of furniture

Except for all the scumbag resellers who pound on peoples doors at 6 in the morning so they can pick over any good stuff before the general public shows up.

Ebay has basically given everyone license to be an rear end in a top hat scalper. It was great when it was new and you could find X item you were looking for. It sucks now when people buy up preorders for everything to jack the prices up on Ebay.

gently caress Ebay resellers. Scum of the earth.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waltzing Along posted:

gently caress Ebay resellers. Scum of the earth.

What about Amazon resellers, are we okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
I fuckin love yard sales

Especially the church sales that a) have hot dogs for sale at 9am and b) have funny mugs for me to buy for a nickel.

• Locked thread