Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ANN posted:

The series follows the employees at the Genbu Shobō publishing company. Araki, who is a veteran editor for the dictionary department, is looking for a successor now that he's approaching retirement age. After Majime Mitsuya — a salesman who's a poor talker — meets Masashi Nishioka — Araki's coworker who is sociable and frivolous — Araki overhears their conversation and decides to recruit Majime into the department. The story follows "the awkward humans" Majime and Masashi as they work together to compile a medium-sized Japanese dictionary titled "The Great Passage" (Daitokai).

This is a pretty neat anime about dictionary-making and relationships based off a book. It had a pretty good live-action movie adaptation before, and I'm hopeful the anime will be just as good. Anyways, UK goons can watch it with Amazon Prime. Everyone else will have to rely on fansubs. I recommend Davinci for the first episode, I hear they're pretty cool.

https://jii.moe/SJ44T_JSg.webm

Allarion fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
It is pretty great and used its time well, it felt way too short and I got needlessly irritated at the part with the cute dictionaries because of it. Its depiction of a kind of old school manliness reminds me a lot of Satoshi Kon, it is only lacking a middle aged detective hitting crumpled cigarettes out of the pack while longing for his youth.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Well that was great. Was glad to see Jimbōchō(/Jinbocho) pop up as the place Majime went to visit the bookstores; the place is famous for being the old bookstore capital of Tokyo, with tons of mom and pop used bookstores and such. It's also where Yomiko lived in Read or Die. The subway station even jumped on that perception and used book motifs in a lot of its wall art, though you don't see that in the anime because those renovations are only a few(?) years old.

z0glin Warchief fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 16, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this show is really beautifully animated

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It really is. There's not that much movement, but the backgrounds are great. It's just a shame that this show's got so little advertising that the number of people who'll watch it is tiny.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

It really is. There's not that much movement, but the backgrounds are great. It's just a shame that this show's got so little advertising that the number of people who'll watch it is tiny.

The fact it's only available legally on UK AmazonPrime doesn't help. I'm not even sure what day it comes out

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GorfZaplen posted:

The fact it's only available legally on UK AmazonPrime doesn't help. I'm not even sure what day it comes out

Out today actually, but subs haven't been ripped yet.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 21, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Subs are out, courtesy of Commie. Davinci is dead, long live Davinci

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

davinci subs were awful anyway. too many memes.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Colonel posted:

this show is really beautifully animated

i love everything majime ever imagines

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

GorfZaplen posted:

Is this going to end up on US Amazon Prime at all ever? I was going to wait til it was available legally but can't find any info at all on whether or not they're going to air it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Everything Burrito posted:

Is this going to end up on US Amazon Prime at all ever? I was going to wait til it was available legally but can't find any info at all on whether or not they're going to air it.

Amazon US finally announced they'll stream it eventually, but they didn't say when. Anyways, good episode. Glad to finally get started with the cast starting their relationships.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
https://zippy.gfycat.com/AngelicMiserlyFruitfly.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i didn't know that we had this thread

Show owned, sad about Grandma and Tiger 1 :(

• Locked thread