Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
lmao nooner rides a bike what a poor oval office, has it got a little floral basket at the front? i'll gently caress you up.

in my car.

at pace.

what i'm trying to say is i like your bike and i'll be taking it from you through sheer force.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Robbie Fowler posted:

lmao nooner rides a bike what a poor oval office, has it got a little floral basket at the front? i'll gently caress you up.

in my car.

at pace.

what i'm trying to say is i like your bike and i'll be taking it from you through sheer force.

well, poo poo. franco was right about something after all.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
theyre expensive and smell of licorice and dust

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I can't wait until Amazon Prime sells weed

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Local restaurants are the only "local" thing that are good.

Any other "local" business might as well be called the "No, we don't have that in stock. We can bring it in for you, in 14 to 16 weeks." store.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i needed a 32mm socket for my car, the local hardware store said no, grainger said sure pay up front with a purchase order (???) and wait 7-10 business days. amazon prime undercut them by $3 and had it to my door in 48h

sorry guys the time of yall being subsidized to roleplay shopkeep is over

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Local restaurants are the only "local" thing that are good.

Any other "local" business might as well be called the "No, we don't have that in stock. We can bring it in for you, in 14 to 16 weeks." store.

It's like you've been with me literally every time I've shopped local.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the "town square" in Bentonville, AR

the Station Cafe, as of November 2015, still serves "Freedom Fries", hand to god

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I don't want Fop goddammit!

https://youtu.be/YZ4z0QhD92Y

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

that man really knows his pomades

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Local businesses are expensive and suck. Also my job isn't tied to the local economy so I hope this city tanks and I can buy a cheap house in Neodetroit. Death to local businesses.

Neodetroit? Why would you live there haven't you seen RoboCop?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Local one and two horse taquerias are legit better in every way than taco cabana or w/e. Living in a place with em is the next best thing to having your own abuelita.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

lol people live in Detroit.

sometimes i stop and think about this (many times while watching the sunset) and I just have to laugh

like just leave goddamn what are you still there for the community?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

sometimes i stop and think about this (many times while watching the sunset) and I just have to laugh

like just leave goddamn what are you still there for the community?

I know you may need to use your imagination for this, but some people have these things called emotional attachments.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

satanic splash-back posted:

I know you may need to use your imagination for this, but some people have these things called emotional attachments.

yea but i mean emancipate yourselves from mental slavery and gtfo of dodge

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
some local businesses are good and are run by good people who do a better job than a large chain ever could

a lot of local businesses are run by idiot morons though and thats when you go to a chain with policies and procedures to prevent moronism from surfacing to the customer

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When you shop local you are stealing from corporate ceos. Think about the guy who might not be able to gold foil his coffered ceiling because you decided to be a total rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'm going to buy a bunch of clothes from my local online bespoke suit shop H&M.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
between walmart and amazon the american entrepreneur has been assblasted lately

the dude a few office buildings down was telling me he uses Amazon fulfillment for his product and was super happy about it because it sold like gangbusters... until recently he told me they found his supplier in China or where-ever it is manufactured and sent him a letter basically saying 'thanks but we're no longer selling your stuff on our site' and cut his account off and now they're just selling essentially a knocked off version of his product direct

lmao that's some gabagool right there

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Moridin920 posted:

between walmart and amazon the american entrepreneur has been assblasted lately

the dude a few office buildings down was telling me he uses Amazon fulfillment for his product and was super happy about it because it sold like gangbusters... until recently he told me they found his supplier in China or where-ever it is manufactured and sent him a letter basically saying 'thanks but we're no longer selling your stuff on our site' and cut his account off and now they're just selling essentially a knocked off version of his product direct

lmao that's some gabagool right there

:capitalism:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

http://qz.com/771727/chinas-factori...to-get-over-it/

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The problem beyond being willing to pay the extra quarter is that supporting local business is almost impossible to do due to, and I know I am a broken record: post industrial capitalism. Sometimes I shop at the oldest and only remaining family owned grocery store in my town. Every ingredient the bakery makes comes from bags that come from the same corporations that sell the same bags of ingredients at Walmart or Target. Most of the poo poo they sell nowadays is the exact same product I would buy at a big corporate franchise. So what's the loving difference? My groceries cost 28 dollars instead of 22, 6 of it gets divided between the store owner and his three employees, the other 22 still goes to a company that had the products made overseas, then the guys at the top put it in a bank off shore or in Switzerland.

If nobody locally works with their hands to get those carrots in and out of the ground, if they're not growing the trees to fell them to make your cabinet, what's the loving difference between Milton's Woodworks and Ikea? I feel good because my cousin held the screwdriver that put my desk together instead of someone's cousin slightly further away! What a loving revolution. We've saved the town!

Hey Billy, you got any eggplant thawed out? No? Well how about those fries. Piled high. Everyone thought Doobie was some unique joke we made, but isn't he really just a more retarded example of the future of local business unveiled?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i love when articles say things like this

quote:

Moving the world’s manufacturing center to China makes the latter hurdles nearly disappear. Factories are set up in makeshift buildings. Cheap labor is abundant. Sourcing components is easy because of online marketplaces like Alibaba. As a result, smart ideas that are easy to turn into physical products become commoditized quickly

like they are good completely unironically

i don't see why "it's too hard to enforce" gets the be the card China hides behind forever meanwhile i'm getting harassed for downloading a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Moridin920 posted:

i love when articles say things like this

like they are good completely unironically

i don't see why "it's too hard to enforce" gets the be the card China hides behind forever meanwhile i'm getting harassed for downloading a movie

"Sure, Child slaves in Africa are forced to work in the worst conditions in the world, but don't you want cheap diamonds!?"

"Yes, I know the diamonds aren't any cheaper, but think of the poor stockholders profit margins!"

• Locked thread