Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hm okay so day one with the Fire stick any my thoughts are that I kind of hate it, but I’ll put up with it to not have to boot two IPTV boxes. My sideloaded app works and I have all the other apps I use on a daily basis so my distaste right now just boils down to the fact that the user interface feels really clunky, riddled with recommendations I can’t turn off, AND I paid eighty dollars and I’m still seeing some sponsored ads.

But I guess on a more practical note, is there a way to join a groupwatch in DisneyPlus? On my AppleTV it would detect that I’m in a groupwatch when I launch the app and offer to join. I’m on a groupwatch on my laptop but the Fire D+ app doesn’t seem to give me any options to join.

E: D+ seems really buggy. It’s just randomly locking up video and I have to force the app to stop.

E2: I think I’m going to return the Fire. I’m definitely not feeling this gadget and all the sponsored stuff leaves a really bad taste in my my mouth. I might give the Google one a try, I dunno.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Hm okay so day one with the Fire stick any my thoughts are that I kind of hate it, but I’ll put up with it to not have to boot two IPTV boxes. My sideloaded app works and I have all the other apps I use on a daily basis so my distaste right now just boils down to the fact that the user interface feels really clunky, riddled with recommendations I can’t turn off, AND I paid eighty dollars and I’m still seeing some sponsored ads.

But I guess on a more practical note, is there a way to join a groupwatch in DisneyPlus? On my AppleTV it would detect that I’m in a groupwatch when I launch the app and offer to join. I’m on a groupwatch on my laptop but the Fire D+ app doesn’t seem to give me any options to join.

E: D+ seems really buggy. It’s just randomly locking up video and I have to force the app to stop.

E2: I think I’m going to return the Fire. I’m definitely not feeling this gadget and all the sponsored stuff leaves a really bad taste in my my mouth. I might give the Google one a try, I dunno.

I have the google chromecast with android tv and am very happy with it. I too moved from the Firestick and got sick of the terrible UI

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, I've been using it since that last post and CC is night and day better, I can't even begin to articulate it.

On par with AppleTV as far as user experience goes which was a high bar in my opinion.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of grabbing an old Chromecast just so I can mirror my phone on my tv.

Kinda dig the fire stick, but the lack of casting/mirroring is annoying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone tried the new 4k Max stick? I have an OG 4k stick and like it, but I got a free TV from my upstairs neighbor for my bedroom so I'm gonna demote my OG stick there and get a new one for my living room home theater.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
Copying here price mistake

BeAuMaN posted:

:frogsiren:
Free Fire TV Stick 4K
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XVYZ1Y5
Discount applies in cart automatically

(If you don't have prime you may need to choose Free Shipping)
:frogsiren:

Source: https://slickdeals.net/f/15608116-amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-with-alexa-remote-for-5

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 7, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BeAuMaN posted:

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
Copying here price mistake

Looks like I got in just under the bell. We'll see if Amazon honors the price mistake.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Looks like I got in just under the bell. We'll see if Amazon honors the price mistake.
Welp, got an email today saying they canceled my order due to price mistake. Oh well.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Josh Lyman posted:

Welp, got an email today saying they canceled my order due to price mistake. Oh well.
Sorry to hear that. I ordered mine on same day or next day and ended up receiving it. Usually Amazon is better about price mistakes but apparently people clearing out their inventory of Fire TV 4K Sticks was a step too far!

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I figured you guys might at least be able to point me in the right direction.

I bought an Amazon Fire Stick in 2019.

It's worked great until just this month. Now, whenever I watch anything on any streaming app it will need to pause and buffer the video every 10-15 minutes. When it buffers, it can take 1-2 minutes to get back to whatever I'm watching.

I thought maybe it was my ISP, but all my streaming stuff works fine on other devices (e.g., tablet, PC).

Does the Fire Stick have a cache I need to clear or something? Or do I just need to upgrade to the latest model?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dr.D-O posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I figured you guys might at least be able to point me in the right direction.

I bought an Amazon Fire Stick in 2019.

It's worked great until just this month. Now, whenever I watch anything on any streaming app it will need to pause and buffer the video every 10-15 minutes. When it buffers, it can take 1-2 minutes to get back to whatever I'm watching.

I thought maybe it was my ISP, but all my streaming stuff works fine on other devices (e.g., tablet, PC).

Does the Fire Stick have a cache I need to clear or something? Or do I just need to upgrade to the latest model?

Do a full factory reset. I've had the same problem and it's supposedly caused by a cache file not getting deleted properly.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Just got a Fire Stick 4k the other day, intending to replace an old Raspberry Pi 2 running Kodi, and having this run a Jellyfin client and be a bit more kid-friendly what with the Jellyfin UI and physical controller.

Jellyfin works fine. But I'm pretty disappointed to see that there seems to have been a recent change to break all any ability to take control of the OS. I was really hoping to replace the Amazon home screen with Jellyfin, and to re-map poo poo like the Disney+ button on the controller to do nothing or something useful. I'd seen various guides out there but hadn't realised they'd just gone out of date recently.

What I have instead is a home screen filled with banners of TV programmes I can't and don't want to watch, including stuff like people pointing guns which isn't so great for a family entertainment device. Even turning parental controls on doesn't stop it showing that stuff - just puts a pin lockout on it. Really surprised about that given Amazon's image and seeing stories about people getting kindle ads removed for being family-inappropriate.

I've been 50:50 on whether to try and get it refunded or not. I guess I won't keep them away from gun imagery for that long anyway, and I can presumably rip open the controller and break the Disney buttons. I'm hoping that given how popular these things are someone will come up with another fix.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any recommendations for a gigabit ethernet adapter for the Fire TV Cube? It's insulting they're putting out 100Mbps adapters.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any recommendations for a gigabit ethernet adapter for the Fire TV Cube? It's insulting they're putting out 100Mbps adapters.

Pretty sure the reason these are all limited at 100Mbps is because the USB ports are USB 2.0 still which doesn't support Gigabit speeds.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Pretty sure the reason these are all limited at 100Mbps is because the USB ports are USB 2.0 still which doesn't support Gigabit speeds.

They really need to sort that poo poo out. I disconnected ethernet and just hopped on my WiFi, I'm now getting over 3 times the download speeds. It feels wrong though.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Edit: Eh I was thinking of something else with the gigabit adapter. I just have mine hooked up with UGreen USB2 Fire TV adapters which works well in practice for me streaming most everything including a lot of high bit rate stuff from Plex.

As far as interfaces go, yeah they finally seemed to shut down the ability to change the default launcher a couple months back. Sucks. You can set up kids profiles which are more locked down and show only 'kid friendly' stuff, but in a lot of ways that ends up just being annoying to deal with. It is wild you can't get more finegrained control over it.

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 23, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Good grief, the new Fire TV Cube will have an Ethernet port built-in but still be a 100Mbps connection. What madness!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can anyone take a stab at explaining why the Gallery app opens on my 3rd gen Fire TV Cube whenever I ask YouTubeTV to “tune to NBC”? It still changes to the correct channel, but it opens Gallery after doing so.

I’ve tried clearing data on both apps and reinstalling YouTubeTV. I can’t uninstall Gallery because it’s a basic Android app I guess.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Gallery kind of rhymes with NBC?

Bad voice recognition is my guess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

graventy posted:

Gallery kind of rhymes with NBC?

Bad voice recognition is my guess.

It does it any time I tune to a channel but maybe it thinks CBS sounds like it too. It switches to the channel in YouTubeTV and then opens up Gallery. Never had this issue with the 2nd gen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FYI I figured it out and it's because I had the Fire Cube hooked up to the "Media Player" input on my Receiver and the Fire Cube software really didn't like being told that's what it's on. Removing the receiver input name in the Fire Cube fixed the issue for now and some day I'll get around to changing what input I'm using on the receiver.

Pretty sure this is a bug. Is there even anyone I can tell?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What's the likelihood of a Fire TV Cube being released this year with either built-in or USB adapter supporting gigabit Ethernet? My wireless speeds on my current unit are decent but I plugged the 100Mbps Ethernet adapter back in because the wireless sometimes switched to another access point further away with crap speed.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's the likelihood of a Fire TV Cube being released this year with either built-in or USB adapter supporting gigabit Ethernet? My wireless speeds on my current unit are decent but I plugged the 100Mbps Ethernet adapter back in because the wireless sometimes switched to another access point further away with crap speed.

Seems slim, the "new" one with 100mbps ethernet just came out in October, but they did do a 1 year refresh window from Gen1 -> Gen 2 of the cube, so not impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Relatives of mine, who are not tech savvy, are looking to spend some months abroad and want to be able to still consume local TV channels via streaming. I figured the simplest solution would be to get an Amazon Fire TV stick and sign up for a VPN service that offers a native app for it (surfshark is one I found). I figure I can do the necessary setup myself before they leave and, hopefully, once at their destination they can just connect the stick to the TV, turn it on and access their home countrys streaming app. Has anyone done this? Is what intend on doing the best solution for this scenario or is there maybe an even simpler option I'm not seeing?