Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jukebox Hero posted:

IIRC you unlock four levels of shots and melee, it's just in the bonus options instead of anywhere sane.

Well that helps. The sudden reveal of the charge shots kinda helps but it's annoying to charge like the shields and this is aggressively not a game you should be hiding behind cover in.

ChorpSaway posted:

They're different enough that I'll show off at least part of a level with each of them once the story updates are done.

Wait, there actually are multiple playable characters? From your last comment on it, I thought you were saying 'Oh man, boy wouldn't that be cool.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Rocketbilly is amazing and I demand you show off his best boss kill if you're not showing all of them. The one with the speakers and the EXTRA bad anime dialogue.

Also how are you planning to show off the costumes, if at all? They do change the audio as well(although not always for the better)

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, there actually are multiple playable characters? From your last comment on it, I thought you were saying 'Oh man, boy wouldn't that be cool.'

I was just lamenting the fact that during the "three unrelated missions as one level" video I should have played as each of them for one of the levels. You can play as Rocketbilly and Juji after you beat the game once.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChorpSaway posted:

I was just lamenting the fact that during the "three unrelated missions as one level" video I should have played as each of them for one of the levels. You can play as Rocketbilly and Juji after you beat the game once.

Oh so I misread the meaning someone had to their words on the internet again. Cool.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Also how are you planning to show off the costumes, if at all? They do change the audio as well(although not always for the better)

There's costumes in this game too?! :psyduck:

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Yep, Grave gets his classic outfit, Juji can dress up like his brother(we'll meet him later, although we already know him), and RB's is kinda weird.

Also, because he's never played as anybody but Grave on camera, we haven't heard any of Billy and Juji's dialogue; they've got little one liners during their combos and when they get knocked down, which also get changed by wearing a character's alternate skin.

And finally, you unlock Billy and Juji by beating the second level iirc, I definitely beat the game as Billy before anyone else. (Billy is kind of easy mode if you play him right.)

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Grave's in critical condition, but we can't really take the time off to recover him! Spike has located the Don's new hideout, and the gang has to infiltrate fast if they hope to catch him before he runs. Can determination and a powerful spirit be enough to power through this castle hideout, or are there unforeseen traps along the way that will impede the Deadmen's progress?

This level's a bit of a slog but the next one is Very Good and finally brings back the absurd Graveyard Finisher moves for the bosses! That's right, there are several bosses next time!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Zell sounds more South African than Australian.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend, the reason you guys aren't more popular like those alcohol buddies is because none of you will attach yourself to a popular game like a ringworm and let that do the work. Not a single one of you has done a Dark Souls or Final Fantasy LP. I've never even heard of Gungrave before this!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Don Corsione is about to make his escape on a private jet, but the Anti-Seed Cool Crew is ready to chase them down! With Spike putting a brick on the gas pedal and Grave's guns, they're ready to make this their final encounter with the Don! However, it seems like a few old friends are here to greet Grave...

:siren: ALSO A PODCAST! :siren:

YouTube
MP3 Download

It's time for Jordan and I to talk about our Anime of the Year 2016 picks! There were definitely some very popular shows this year, but where do they stack in our favorites? Which obscure show for dads and old people did we love that you didn't even pay attention to? Lots of stuff to go over, and so much that we didn't have time to do all the extra stuff we wanted to do! So there will be a shorter episode up next week where we close up our discussion about last year in anime.

RareAcumen posted:

FutureFriend, the reason you guys aren't more popular like those alcohol buddies is because none of you will attach yourself to a popular game like a ringworm and let that do the work. Not a single one of you has done a Dark Souls or Final Fantasy LP. I've never even heard of Gungrave before this!

Please look forward to the eventual franchise-spanning Final Fantasy XV LP where we watch the movie and the anime and we do the VR Experience and we read the short story and we play the mobile tie-in games and also we eventually play the actual game maybe.

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
now im really confused i thought the point was that brandon and sherry were in love but harry as the don was like "shes my wife now" but they still loved each other, which caused brandon to try to betray harry and get killed, so when sherry was dieing and harry was doing hosed up poo poo she told her daughter to go to Dr T and give grave the guns so that he could/would stop harry and his seed plans, harry dies and gun grave 1 ends. But now that shes been revived she says she was only in love with harry and is sad about his death that she instigated and theres no mention of her relationship with grave/brendon so now im just confused and dont know what to think.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

NejD posted:

now im really confused i thought the point was that brandon and sherry were in love but harry as the don was like "shes my wife now" but they still loved each other, which caused brandon to try to betray harry and get killed, so when sherry was dieing and harry was doing hosed up poo poo she told her daughter to go to Dr T and give grave the guns so that he could/would stop harry and his seed plans, harry dies and gun grave 1 ends. But now that shes been revived she says she was only in love with harry and is sad about his death that she instigated and theres no mention of her relationship with grave/brendon so now im just confused and dont know what to think.

Brandon loved a girl named Maria, who married Big Daddy, the original leader of Millennion. Maria is Mika's mother. Harry was married to a girl named Sherry, the daughter of Bear Walken, righthand man to Big Daddy. Harry wanted to betray Big Daddy for power, and Brandon was like "no we should be loyal to Big Daddy" and then Harry killed Brandon and eventually Big Daddy. Harry took over Millennion, and Harry's lust for power eventually led to his wife's death and also his.

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
ohh ok then i guess i got confused, the white hair probably didnt help though, thanks for clearing that up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChorpSaway posted:

Please look forward to the eventual franchise-spanning Final Fantasy XV LP where we watch the movie and the anime and we do the VR Experience and we read the short story and we play the mobile tie-in games and also we eventually play the actual game maybe.

Awww cool. I bet Square Enix will have patched in the rest of the story by the time you're ready to put the game disc in too.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

ChorpSaway posted:

Brandon loved a girl named Maria, who married Big Daddy, the original leader of Millennion. Maria is Mika's mother. Harry was married to a girl named Sherry, the daughter of Bear Walken, righthand man to Big Daddy. Harry wanted to betray Big Daddy for power, and Brandon was like "no we should be loyal to Big Daddy" and then Harry killed Brandon and eventually Big Daddy. Harry took over Millennion, and Harry's lust for power eventually led to his wife's death and also his.

More soap operas should feature unkillable mute assassin-zombies, if you ask me.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

It's time for Jordan and I to talk about our Anime of the Year 2016 picks! There were definitely some very popular shows this year, but where do they stack in our favorites? Which obscure show for dads and old people did we love that you didn't even pay attention to? Lots of stuff to go over, and so much that we didn't have time to do all the extra stuff we wanted to do! So there will be a shorter episode up next week where we close up our discussion about last year in anime.
Just listening to you describe Magical Girl Raising Project made me more cross than I've been at an anime in a very long time, so I'm prepared to back you up and give it my late vote for Worst Anime of the Year without watching it for even a second.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time for the penultimate update! Grave returns from his airplane fight with Don Corsione unharmed, but finds the truck, and his team, in disrepair! Spike seems to have left with the enemy, so it's time to track him down and figure out just what's going on with the Corsione family, and Garino's evil plans. Time to return to space to send Seed back to where it came from, but not before fighting our true foil...

:siren: ALSO A PODCAST :siren:

YouTube
MP3 Download

Turns out Jordan and I can talk about anime, a lot! We didn't have time to go over all the stuff we wanted to on the last show, so we made a bonus episode to help close out our thoughts on 2016 and its anime. Some fan poll discussion, some sales, and some general talk about the series we'll take with us into the future. This is Cocoa☆Disaster, raw and uncut. Or at least a little looser than our discussion tends to be.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Brexit killed the economy so hard the city was compelled to change its name from Billion City to Million City.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a pretty good cutscene.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

Turns out Jordan and I can talk about anime, a lot! We didn't have time to go over all the stuff we wanted to on the last show, so we made a bonus episode to help close out our thoughts on 2016 and its anime. Some fan poll discussion, some sales, and some general talk about the series we'll take with us into the future. This is Cocoa☆Disaster, raw and uncut. Or at least a little looser than our discussion tends to be.
You did it, you solved the mystery. I can't hide from the truth anymore. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any regrets, but thanks to you I can finally move on with my life. This year, I'll watch more than seven animes. That's my promise to you.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

You did it, you solved the mystery. I can't hide from the truth anymore. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any regrets, but thanks to you I can finally move on with my life. This year, I'll watch more than seven animes. That's my promise to you.

you're a monster, chorps

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I have to wonder how much of the problem of fights dragging on too long and getting tedious would be solved by the game not hiding damage upgrades behind some random menus. It feels like the game expected you to upgrade between missions and scaled enemy HP accordingly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I have to wonder how much of the problem of fights dragging on too long and getting tedious would be solved by the game not hiding damage upgrades behind some random menus. It feels like the game expected you to upgrade between missions and scaled enemy HP accordingly.

I don't think Grave is nearly mobile enough for the combat now. He gets knocked over so easily and there's no real way to defend yourself against any of those bullets either.

Also, I called Spike not being a traitor but had no idea that he was going to be a clone. I'm kinda sad they didn't make Fangoram a gimmick boss with a near one-hit-kill attack though.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wait, is Seed supposed to be like Captain America's Super Soldier Serum? It's been making monsters because all the users have been bloodthirsty assholes?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Wait, is Seed supposed to be like Captain America's Super Soldier Serum? It's been making monsters because all the users have been bloodthirsty assholes?

Eh, it's more like the C-Virus from Resident Evil 6. Or a Philosopher's Stone as far as Full Metal Alchemist is concerned.

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
id say more like the symbiote: an alien entity that makes you feel good, enhances your abilities but will eventually turn you into a monster time depending on how much of an rear end in a top hat you already are.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

The actual nature of Seed is ill-defined but my idea was that its natural form caused the Orgmen and stuff to exist, and the experiments done with it helped to turn it into multiple forms, one that could turn people into superhuman monsters and one that could be used to augment humans.
But the real takeaway is that you should never do drugs, not even once. Reefer madness is real and it's why we had to kill the smoking hotel manager.

FractalSandwich posted:

Not all heroes wear capes. Sometimes they host the world's premiere anime podcast.

a cartoon duck posted:

The biggest problem with this too is that it doesn't notify you of the upgrade, like the Demolition Shots and stuff. I bet some of the "New feature unlocked" messages refer to shot power but that's still not much of a notice. Honestly I don't even know how many upgrades to it unlock on an average playthrough. Still, that might've made the whole thing less bad.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time to end the War on Alien Drugs! Grave and the crew have made their way to Garino's church room on the spaceship, but it seems he's more than prepared for the unwelcome guests. His powers have reached beyond the possibility of man, and he's prepared to do whatever it takes to keep that power! It's up to Grave in one final shootout to protect humanity from these crazed alien-loving nutjobs and bring peace for his team!

There's one bonus update left in the thread, but this concludes all the story stuff. Thanks for watching! I'll announce the next LP with the bonus update. If you follow me on Twitter and already know, don't spoil it!!!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The main character's friend gets levitated by the main villain and killed, then the main character gets really angry and strong and his hair gets spiky? I feel like I've seen this somewhere before... :ssj:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I hope the bonus video clarifies if I should be shooting heroin into my dick

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
For a minute I thought they were setting up a sequel with Mika the Seed Wizard, but so much for that I guess.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Dr.Smasher posted:

I hope the bonus video clarifies if I should be shooting heroin into my dick

Well let's just say that FutureFriend didn't make it to the recording for the bonus video, and it may or may not have been a heroin dick incident. You can interpret whether or not it's good from there.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: FINAL UPDATE TIME! :siren:

In this final bonus update, let's take a brief look at the other two playable characters! I just play part of the first level with each of them to show off how they play differently from Grave, since I didn't want to play through the whole thing two more times for a best-of montage, but these characters have different cutscenes and everything with the bosses, which is a nice touch.

Thanks again for watching me play through this weird little series, and next time you see me post a thread... it's going to be a weirder little game.

That'll start up in a few weeks, meanwhile you might catch me posting some one-off videos in the Casual LP thread or on YouTube.
See you guys later!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, RB and Juji look really fun to play. And RB has so much personality in all of his animations too. It's great.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Oh my god yes

Chulip is magical and I can't wait to see how everyone responds :allears:

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Billy's Garino costume not being shown off is unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Most games can be improved by an electric guitar that shoots lightning bolts.

• Locked thread