Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You know what? I just realized that we haven't had a good depiction of Teddy Roosevelt in virtually ANY films in America, the last being either the Rough Rides miniseries from 1997 or Robin Williams as Teddy in the Night at the Museum trilogy. Our perhaps most charismatic President to date in history (yes even you Reagan) has jackshit filmed about him, his struggles, his spirit and his large ham - and that's a national loving travesty.

We need to fix that. Why hasn't Hollywood touched him for all his potential? Even Abe Lincoln managed to get a Vampire Killer adaptation. Are there any plans in the works for a Teddy Roosevelt film, or a series by HBO? HBO could make mad money off of this and WHYYY haven't they touched it!? Oh because Game of Thrones is somehow more compelling than him to them, isn't it!? :livintrope:
Also who would play Teddy in such a film or series?

We should just make this a Teddy Roosevelt discussion thread shouldn't we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Because chris farley is dead and kevin james lacks the range.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think Hollywood realized anything it does can't live up to the real Teddy.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Kenan Thompson in white face could work though.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
a combination of nick offerman and wilford brimley

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The world isn't ready for a big black Teddy

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It could focus on how excited he was to get in to world war 1 and how he got totally "owned' by having one of his kids die in it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If Heath Ledger wasn't dead they could do a Brokebrck Revival where Jake Gyllnehal is John Muir and they touch wieners all over Yosemite

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
But we already have the Ken Burns documentary

*camera pans slowly outward on a black & white photograph of a crazed immigrant*

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
a teddy bio pic would be great because it would show what a loving tremendous racist/white supremacist he was and cut his internet fandom down a bit

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
robin williams died in a jerk off accident, he accidently died jerking off just like david carradine

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Teddy Roosevelt was a sheltered child of privilege who was initially teased for his effeminacy throughout his childhood and even once he became a Senator. In his youth, despite having no experience with the outside world, he was obsessed with stories glamorizing Darwinian violence and the pseudoscientific biotruths of his day. He later adopted a carefully-crafted public image based on a projection of hyper-masculinity and colonialism. One of the popular sentiments of the time was that white men, because they epitomized the platonic ideal of Victorian gentlemanliness, had a responsibility to dominate the lesser races, but risked eventually being overrun by them and their animal-nature (basically Eloi and Morlocks). Teddy campaigned on a platform of America entering the colony game (as it objectively deserved being the greatest, whitest race, unlike those tainted europeans) but also one of increased breeding among white American couples so that once we owned the brutes, we could maintain our rightful place over them. He would hold rallies where he made a lot of blatant sex jokes, had supporters make birth announcements and declare "No race suicide here!", then encouraged everybody to go home, gently caress their wives, and vote for him.

The modern obsession with Roosevelt's manliness, particularly as something we've lost, epitomizes the assbackward hollowness of the modern red-pill mindset and its deep roots in racism, fear, and sheltered disconnect from reality.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

uhhhh

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

He later adopted a carefully-crafted public image based on a projection of hyper-masculinity and colonialism.
Irrc he insisted on leading a cavalry charge during the Spanish-American war despite no tactical reason to lead a cavalry charge in a battle of no consequence and little risk.

And we gave W. Bush poo poo for playing dress-up smh

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
At least Teddy was actually in harm's way. A lot more than W ever was anyhow. :colbert:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Because chris farley is dead and kevin james lacks the range.

Kevin could be Taft

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Dynastocles fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 25, 2016

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

FDR has an excellent biopic (FDR: American Badass) and its only fitting that Teddy gets one too.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I heard that FDRs wife was a carpet muncher is that true??

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Teddy is considered one of Americas worst president - imperial and warmongering

lol he's garbo express and yall love him

shocker

unedeucated love teddy bcz he put his own face on a national landmark

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Madcosby posted:

Teddy is considered one of Americas worst president - imperial and warmongering

So the same as every other president in the past 100 years.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

DMX wrote a song about him

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

So the same as every other president in the past 100 years.

lol not at all, oh i see your atrump supporter god knows where you get a sense of history

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

If you wrote the poo poo Teddy Roosevelt did for real and put it in a movie, people wouldn't believe half the things that happen

Hell you could do a movie just based on the Roughneck Riders attack in Cuba and that's not even like halfway through his life
Or when he went to live in the badlands and built boats to hunt down thieves and poo poo and almost died a bunch of times but he loving wrestled and pinned death and came back

His biography says he had perfect memory or something and he could quote books he read in the morning in full...

Might have been an alien actually

Motherfucker was a boss

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

But we already have the Ken Burns documentary

*camera pans slowly outward on a black & white photograph of a crazed immigrant*

I think a movie based on his trip in Yosemite with John Muir would make for a great biopic, as two men who were extremists in their respective ways reaching common ground in some of America's most beautiful scenery could really resonate in the current political climate. Also, it has scenes that write themselves, like some poor lackey announcing to the gathered socialites that Teddy won't be showing up to the party held in his honor because he snuck off to go camping.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

I think a movie based on his trip in Yosemite with John Muir would make for a great biopic, as two men who were extremists in their respective ways reaching common ground in some of America's most beautiful scenery could really resonate in the current political climate. Also, it has scenes that write themselves, like some poor lackey announcing to the gathered socialites that Teddy won't be showing up to the party held in his honor because he snuck off to go camping.

Hope they gently caress

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
John goodman as teddy roosevelt

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
my favorite rough rider is the old senile confederate general that kept forgetting the civil war was over and that they weren't charging union posistions

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Was actually thinking about a TDR movie yesterday and surprised there isn't anything in the works

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Vintimus Prime posted:

Was actually thinking about a TDR movie yesterday and surprised there isn't anything in the works

Boys with glasses don't sell movies

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
you got a teddy movie - night at the musuem

robin williams really captured his insufferableness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Channing loving Tatum

• Locked thread