Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Problem description: Recently I had to rebuild my computer due to a motherboard failure on my part. My main SSD has a fresh Windows 10 install and I moved my other SSD and HD over without problems (or so I thought). Anytime I try to open image files using right click -> edit I get an error "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file". It does it for all image files except for .png. "Open with" opens them fine with my default image editor. I've checked permissions and everything to make sure I have full control and all that but the error continues to pop up.

Attempted fixes: Messed with default programs, tried to change permissions, etc. Same thing still happens.

Recent changes: Nope. Fresh Windows 10 install.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs: Copied from Speccy:

CPU
Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.50GHz
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
Graphics
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (PNY)
Storage
223GB SanDisk SDSSDA240G (SSD)
119GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 128GB (SSD)
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 (SATA)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Tugboat Willy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
When you right-click on a PNG and select "Edit" does it open in Paint? Are you able to run Paint normally?

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

When you right-click on a PNG and select "Edit" does it open in Paint? Are you able to run Paint normally?
It opens it in Paint.net and Paint runs fine.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Are the images you're trying to access on the Main SSD, or on the other two drives?

Was paint.net installed after doing the fresh install, or is it on one of the other drives?

Have you edited these images before?

Are the drive letters for the specific drives the same as before the rebuild?

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

Are the images you're trying to access on the Main SSD, or on the other two drives?

Was paint.net installed after doing the fresh install, or is it on one of the other drives?

Have you edited these images before?

Are the drive letters for the specific drives the same as before the rebuild?
It happens on all 3.

I installed it after the fresh install. I uninstalled it before to see if Edit was still broken and it was. :(

I edited them fine before the new build.

They were different at first after the fresh install and I changed them back.

Tugboat Willy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 30, 2016

• Locked thread