Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoecakes
Jan 5, 2012
Hi so recently, my mid-2012 15-inch Macbook Pro randomly shut off while it was plugged in. When I restarted it, it worked and continues to work perfectly fine other than it does not detect my charger at all.
I have tried resetting the SMC, and so far it still does not even detect my Macbook's battery. The LED light on the charger does not flash when plugged in either.

I doubt the issue is with the charger because I just bought a new one in the past few months and there doesn't appear to be any physical kinks/irregularities with the wiring, but I will try to troubleshoot this on someone's elses charger as soon as I get into contact with someone else who has a Macbook pro.

I was wonder if there was a battery issue. The cycle count limit on my battery is 1000 charge cycles and mine is already in the 3000's. Does this sound like a battery issue? If so, are there any recommended sites for buying Macbook batteries?

Is there anything else I should try? (obviously, my computer is way past warranty/applecare) Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Hoecakes posted:

Hi so recently, my mid-2012 15-inch Macbook Pro randomly shut off while it was plugged in. When I restarted it, it worked and continues to work perfectly fine other than it does not detect my charger at all.
I have tried resetting the SMC, and so far it still does not even detect my Macbook's battery. The LED light on the charger does not flash when plugged in either.

I doubt the issue is with the charger because I just bought a new one in the past few months and there doesn't appear to be any physical kinks/irregularities with the wiring, but I will try to troubleshoot this on someone's elses charger as soon as I get into contact with someone else who has a Macbook pro.

I was wonder if there was a battery issue. The cycle count limit on my battery is 1000 charge cycles and mine is already in the 3000's. Does this sound like a battery issue? If so, are there any recommended sites for buying Macbook batteries?

Is there anything else I should try? (obviously, my computer is way past warranty/applecare) Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

That isn't going to be the battery. Even with the battery removed, the LED on the power adapter will light up green. This is either the power adapter itself (especially if its a lovely 3rd party knock-off) or the magsafe board, which is fairly inexpensive as far as Apple repairs go.

• Locked thread