Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Problem description:
I can no longer use the ctrl-1, ctrl-2, or ctrl-3 keystrokes. This is frustrating because that's my favorite way to navigate the billion tabs I have open in Chrome at any one time. I believe the problem started after I plugged in a new bluetooth dongle for my desktop. I don't know why I have the problem, though, because I have a USB keyboard (Logitech K200).
Also, Ctrl-tilde and Ctrl-4 (plus the other Ctrl-numbers) work just fine.

Attempted fixes:
- I tried using the keystrokes in different programs, to see if the problem is related to my browser. Unfortunately, I can neither auto-navigate to the first three tabs in Chrome nor set keyboard shortcuts for those keys in Microsoft Word.
- I tried using a different USB keyboard. But I still have the problem with my wife's Dell keyboard.
- I tried using a different USB port. Still have the problem.
- I deleted SharpKeys, in the vain hope that (even though I did not have any SharpKeys shortcuts enabled; that was from years and years ago) I could solve the problem that way.
- I have unplugged the new bluetooth dongle.
- I have rebooted my computer and installed all the recommended Windows updates.
- I have unplugged the bluetooth dongle and then reinstalled the dongle.
- I have contacted the manufacturer of the dongle (Plugable Technologies) and asked for their help on their support forum. They had someone very helpful respond that they are confused why I have a problem. They then sent me a debug tool, which I ran, and then I sent Plugable the logs created by the debug tool. They told me their USB dongle shouldn't have caused the problems. But they advised me to try manually installing their newest driver. I did that, and subsequently restarted. No luck.
- I have googled the problem, but I am either very bad at designing search terms, or I am a special snowflake with a unique problem.

Recent changes:
I have only made a handful of changes to my computer between when my keystrokes were working and now:
- I bought and plugged in the Plugable USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter. It auto-installed drivers and Windows 10 claimed I could now use bluetooth! Woo!
- I connected a new set of Bose QuietComfort 35 Headphones via Bluetooth to my computer. I've also connected them to my laptop (a recent Dell) and my iPhone, and use the iPhone app to tell them which of the three to stay connected to, because they can only stay connected to two devices at once.
- I updated my nVidia drivers and "GeForce Experience" app. Though I think the new "Experience" app is dumb and I've disabled the overlay because the pop-up notification annoys me, I like having an updated graphics driver.
- I can't think of any other changes that I've made recently. I installed Civ VI? But I think that was before everything broke.

--

Operating system:
Windows 10, Home, OEM, 64-Bit.

System specs:
Intel i5-3570, 3.40 GHz
GeForce GTX 670
16 GB Ram
2 TB WD Hard Drive (nearing full)
I think the motherboard is a ASUS|P8Z77-M R, based on my NewEgg receipt, but it's been four years since I built this thing, so I haven't dug up all the details unless someone eneds them.
PSU CORSAIR|750W TX750M R
CASE CORSAIR | CARBIDE 500R BK R

Keyboard is a Logitech K200 connected by USB. I've also got a Logitech USB mouse connected.

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
May be Geforce Experience related:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/972645/geforce-experience/nvidia-share-hotkeys-on-3-1-0-44-making-share-worthless/1/

quote:

quote:

Vitaminsmore said:
I posted else where but someone directed me to this post.
Same issues here. Ctrl 1,2,3 i use a lot in my mmo play so it really is effecting my game play that i can not use these Keys.

Thank you for your feedback. We have reverted this in the next release of GFE.

You can see if disabling Geforce Share resolves the issue by opening up Geforce Experience (right-click taskbar icon) and then clicking on the Gear in the upper right, then clicking on the Share slider if it's on:

If disabling it works, try updating to the most recent version of GFE and see if their fix is applied.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks! I will try that when I get home tonight and report back. I recall disabling some GeForce options because the pop up in the corner of my window when I opened games was annoying me.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thank you! That was the problem - I disabled Share and can use my ctrl-1 through ctrl-3 again. I will try updating GFE, but I thought I did so last night and the problem was still there.

EDIT: GFE doesn't see any updates available. So their hotfix must not have worked. Still, disabling Share does.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Good deal; the 2nd page of that thread has a link directly to the update, though some report it as still not fixed. May be worth a shot if share is important to you at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

Good deal; the 2nd page of that thread has a link directly to the update, though some report it as still not fixed. May be worth a shot if share is important to you at all.

I have absolutely no desire to share/stream stuff, so I'm not too fussed.

• Locked thread