Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
For my own anecdote: we have iPhones when before we had Android, Win Phone and iPhones and I have to say our helpdesk people find iPhones to have seriously less problems than the other ones.

iOs 8 or 9 was a serious regression for a lot of our iPhone 4 users though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I'm having an affair with my ex...

Dug out my 2011 MacBook Air and iPhone 5S. After using Windows and Android for a while I'd forgotten how well polished everything is on Apple (not just of their own but third party software writers seem to put in more of an effort to make things look consistent and be nice to use)

Almost tempted to go back, at least in terms of the phone. I'm sick of micromanaging everything so that they don't hammer the battery, and doing factory resets when "Google Play Services" and the like decide to guzzle it for no apparent reason. My mate would say "but I got an Android phone for £100 and it does everything I need and the battery is always fine? And you want to spend £700 on an iPhone?" - but that's just it, a £100 Android phone does not do everything I want. And once you start loading those things up, budget phones don't quite cut it and the battery life becomes less predictable.

Laptop I'm not sure... I'm in love with how well it'd integrate with said phone, but the same spec PC laptops are £1000 cheaper - that's one hell of an Apple Tax. Another thing putting me off is I saw a story go by earlier (though didn't get a chance to read it) saying the new iPad Pros benchmark higher than the MacBook Pros which would really say quite a lot about Apple's supposed "still being 100% committed to the Mac".

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 15, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There will be a serious case to be made for an iPad Pro over a base-model Macbook once (if) Apple implements cursor support for the iPads. (Yes, Citrix has a solution if you use the citrix environment).

However, you're still locking into a mobile operating system that limits what you can do. And then there's the case where you'll outperform an iPad if you take any step-up on the MB or MBP lines.

It does show you just how far Apple's mobile chip designs have come along that they're rivaling/surpassing Intel's stuff in similar power envelopes.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

GargleBlaster posted:

I'm having an affair with my ex...

Almost tempted to go back, at least in terms of the phone. I'm sick of micromanaging everything so that they don't hammer the battery, and doing factory resets when "Google Play Services" and the like decide to guzzle it for no apparent reason. My mate would say "but I got an Android phone for £100 and it does everything I need and the battery is always fine? And you want to spend £700 on an iPhone?" - but that's just it, a £100 Android phone does not do everything I want. And once you start loading those things up, budget phones don't quite cut it and the battery life becomes less predictable.

And man, I read this and I go "what the hell?" I've got an iPhone 6S from work, and an S7 Edge as my personal phone. I install way less apps with the iPhone, but I've had to factory reset it twice in the last 6 months. The Edge is over a year and I've put all kinds of poo poo on it and zero issues. I mean, use what you like, but every time I read about "polish" and whatnot...I just don't see it.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Siochain posted:

And man, I read this and I go "what the hell?" I've got an iPhone 6S from work, and an S7 Edge as my personal phone. I install way less apps with the iPhone, but I've had to factory reset it twice in the last 6 months. The Edge is over a year and I've put all kinds of poo poo on it and zero issues. I mean, use what you like, but every time I read about "polish" and whatnot...I just don't see it.

I... guess everyone's experiences are different? I've never had to factory reset an iPhone. Not once. I did however have to go through "try clearing your cache" and "try a full re-flash" a few times when things like Android System and Google Play Services started randomly guzzling the battery on various Androids and the fun a month or two ago when my 3T froze solid then rebooted itself to a message saying your phone cannot be decrypted please factory reset. Luckily the backup/restore process is less terrible than it used to be :)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

GargleBlaster posted:

I... guess everyone's experiences are different? I've never had to factory reset an iPhone. Not once. I did however have to go through "try clearing your cache" and "try a full re-flash" a few times when things like Android System and Google Play Services started randomly guzzling the battery on various Androids and the fun a month or two ago when my 3T froze solid then rebooted itself to a message saying your phone cannot be decrypted please factory reset. Luckily the backup/restore process is less terrible than it used to be :)

Yeah no 100% agreeing. I just always read about Android's making GBS threads the bed, and I've had one issue ever with my old S2 where I had to reset it a few times over the course of a couple of weeks because of a bad OS update (or something, I can't really remember). Otherwise they've been solid, but the iPhone has been a pain. And my big one is people going on about the "polish" on Apple products, as I beat my head against the wall trying to do basic poo poo with them - I have to google how to do so much stuff on my iPhone because its not intuitive to me.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

milk milk lemonade posted:

DLL hell? When was the last time you used Windows lmao

And what kind of scrub tier SH/SC poster needs AV? I have literally never installed it and it's never been an issue.

i don't think anyone except bertron serlet and apparently this guy has ever used the term dll hell seriously

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Siochain posted:

Yeah no 100% agreeing. I just always read about Android's making GBS threads the bed, and I've had one issue ever with my old S2 where I had to reset it a few times over the course of a couple of weeks because of a bad OS update (or something, I can't really remember). Otherwise they've been solid, but the iPhone has been a pain. And my big one is people going on about the "polish" on Apple products, as I beat my head against the wall trying to do basic poo poo with them - I have to google how to do so much stuff on my iPhone because its not intuitive to me.

TBH it's just what you're used to (or not). I don't think either system is completely intuitive, it's just that often Android is familiar to people who are used to things like traditional PC file management (though the meme that iOS can't handle files isn't quite true, you just have to use cloud drives or third party file manager + iTunes, and because apps are sandboxed you have to explicitly share the file from one to the other). But yeah in terms of whether one is more reliable than the other it must be luck of the draw.

The "polish" at least in my mind is in so many of the apps having pretty UIs. There's less of a difference on the phones now as a lot of apps are just ported, and interestingly Apple Music has gone from pretty to literally just plain text (but utilitarian and a lot easier to navigate than the ever changing Google Music imo). But I tend to find Mac apps prettier than PC ones. "Who cares if it looks pretty" I hear you say in disgust but for something I'm looking at a lot I do think it's not completely irrelevant for it to be easy on the eyes :)

SIM heading back into the 3T for now if only because the lack of 800MHz 4G is driving me nuts. I hadn't really noticed how much of a difference it makes to the coverage around here until seeing 2G and "no signal" so much on the iPhone.

I just use both and change from one to the other from time to time due to being a giant nerd and easily bored (the downside being often buying apps twice). I don't see the need for the competitive football team attitudes you often see from enthusiasts of one or the other (or consoles or "PC master race" etc) and there are pros and cons of both. I will say this about Android though, the "you can do what you want with it" advantage is deteriorating. Sure you "can" root but the anti-root sentiment is growing rapidly among developers who are using SafetyNet more and more, and you end up playing the cat-and-mouse game against Google with things like Magisk if you want to stay rooted.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GargleBlaster posted:

TBH it's just what you're used to (or not). I don't think either system is completely intuitive, it's just that often Android is familiar to people who are used to things like traditional PC file management (though the meme that iOS can't handle files isn't quite true, you just have to use cloud drives or third party file manager + iTunes, and because apps are sandboxed you have to explicitly share the file from one to the other). But yeah in terms of whether one is more reliable than the other it must be luck of the draw.

I use an iPhone SE as my daily driver and I agree that iOS has a schizophrenic file management system, but that is also finally addressed in iOS 11.

One thing I definitely like about Android is I can throw photos into separate physical folders and have it reflected the same way when mounted on a PC, whereas in iOS there's the lame Album sorting in Photos and mounting the iPhone on PC USB only gives me folders of a zillion unsorted .jpgs since day 1.

But I'm still firmly in the Apple camp, namely because of the battery life, TouchID, Audio DAC quality, Safari adblocking, better phone backup solution, best choice of accessories, aftermarket repair and resale value.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 17, 2017

• Locked thread