Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm playing Civ VI but I'm not doing any really cool strategies or using my national characteristics in a min maxy way. I'm just conquering guys and trying to stack gold. Right now I'm the biggest power in the world as Japan but it's mostly because the AI is really stupid and keeps declaring war on me, sending all their men to die, and then suing desperately for peace, which has made consolidating power pretty easy. I just built my first musketeers and I think I'm gonna destroy China.

Lets talk about Civ VI without feeling inadequate for not doing lots of math and urban planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I want to buy it but I have too many games to play,

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to buy it but I'm not sure I'd get anything out of it that I couldn't get from Civ 5

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I'm waiting for theinevitable expansions.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

im waiting for a steam sale discount. just like in civ then patience pays off

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm hearing that it's very good. Lots of people are saying that it's good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

qnqnx posted:

I'm waiting for theinevitable expansions.

This plus the fixes to UI, AI, bugs, badly thought mechanics and ugly models.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

rediscover posted:

I want to buy it but I have too many games to play,

This, OP.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mods, can this be renamed the Cowardly PLaying The Game Wrong And Being A Little Beitch About It Megathread.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Mods, can this be renamed the Cowardly PLaying The Game Wrong And Being A Little Beitch About It Megathread.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

got excited when i thought this said Civ IV

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

That feel when no pc

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Benny D posted:

I'm hearing that it's very good. Lots of people are saying that it's good

Yeah, it is. It's not a huge departure from Civ5's formula, but it's got enough new features and improvements that I'm satisfied with my purchase - I'm actually kinda surprised they kept stuff like the religion stuff from Civ5G&K in the game too, since I was actually expecting them to hold that back to milk it for another expansion, to be honest.
At the moment I'm playing as China on the 'fractal islands' mode, and I think I'm in a pretty good position to go for a culture and/or science win, with maybe some war-waging on the side. Still early days, though; things might turn around on me.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I just wanna play civ 3 again tbch

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Benny D posted:

I just wanna play civ 3 again tbch

its $5 on steam and i know what you mean, i think i played more of 3 than the rest of them combined

i still liked 4 better though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

2 and 4 were my most played by far, I put an insane amount of hours into 2 as a kid but didn't understand all the systems well enough to fully appreciate it. 4 came out when I was in college and I stayed up all night playing it sometimes

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so far vi is at least better than beyond earth

i like 5 w/ all the expos best

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

This plus the fixes to UI, AI, bugs, badly thought mechanics and ugly models.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

got excited when i thought this said Civ IV

This

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Beyond Earth was the worst game I played last year

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Black Baby Goku posted:

Beyond Earth was the worst game I played last year

guitar hero live

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hubris.height posted:

guitar hero live

That actually was pretty fun to be honest

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I had a heck of a time with GH Live.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
really? didn't care for the controls or the way mp was handled .

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

hubris.height posted:

really? didn't care for the controls or the way mp was handled .

i can think of worse games than a sub par guitar hero game

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it was supposed to bring party games back but it dug the hole 6 ft deeper

kind of like civ be and alpha centauri

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hubris.height posted:

it was supposed to bring party games back but it dug the hole 6 ft deeper

kind of like civ be and alpha centauri

True but I thought the music videos and having all Songs be free and GHTV was cool. I dunno. Rock Band 4 was a let down in comparison

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, it is. It's not a huge departure from Civ5's formula, but it's got enough new features and improvements that I'm satisfied with my purchase - I'm actually kinda surprised they kept stuff like the religion stuff from Civ5G&K in the game too, since I was actually expecting them to hold that back to milk it for another expansion, to be honest.
At the moment I'm playing as China on the 'fractal islands' mode, and I think I'm in a pretty good position to go for a culture and/or science win, with maybe some war-waging on the side. Still early days, though; things might turn around on me.

Sup fellow Qin Shi Huang. I've been enjoying a casual first game on Prince as China, using muh builder mans to poop out Wonders like it ain't no thing. I have been mostly ignoring religion, culture, and military so my next couple games will probably focus on those things (and maybe a harder difficulty).

Game seems pretty chill so far. I never really sunk 100s of hours into V like I did with III +IV so I'm not really a connoisseur of these games anymore, though. The toil/overhead seems low, which is nice.

Been trying to avoid the Games thread and the rest of the internet to stay ignorant of whatever broken strategy people figure out that's impossible to unsee

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Been trying to avoid the Games thread and the rest of the internet to stay ignorant of whatever broken strategy people figure out that's impossible to unsee

Yeah, this. I've given the Games thread a miss (aside from checking it briefly pre-release) and any other online conversations about broken stuff like that, since once you read/hear about it, it can be impossible to ignore/forget about later on.

Thanks for mentioning the wonder thing, though - I keep forgetting about that, after I used it on one wonder right at the start. It's only for ancient+classical wonders, right? I need to start making GBS threads those things out ASAP, to get the most out of my early-game builders.
Also, do you know if there are any time constraints on building the Great Wall improvement? (Like, no building it after the medieval period or something) I've built a five-segment wall along one border so I get the tourism+culture boost later on, but I'm wondering if I need to invest in building it up now, or if I can afford to leave it and then build segments later on in the game, if I get the free space for it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, this. I've given the Games thread a miss (aside from checking it briefly pre-release) and any other online conversations about broken stuff like that, since once you read/hear about it, it can be impossible to ignore/forget about later on.

Thanks for mentioning the wonder thing, though - I keep forgetting about that, after I used it on one wonder right at the start. It's only for ancient+classical wonders, right? I need to start making GBS threads those things out ASAP, to get the most out of my early-game builders.
Also, do you know if there are any time constraints on building the Great Wall improvement? (Like, no building it after the medieval period or something) I've built a five-segment wall along one border so I get the tourism+culture boost later on, but I'm wondering if I need to invest in building it up now, or if I can afford to leave it and then build segments later on in the game, if I get the free space for it.

Oh yeah, only Ancient and Classical wonders.

I think you can build the Great Wall pieces whenever. I haven't really built any yet because I've been sacrificing builders to the pyramids or other basic improvements. I wonder if they can be built outside of a city's harvestable squares if you own the tile. Things might get a little cramped with all of the Wonders and walls everywhere. I'll try that eventually when I get a big enough city.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
how much should civ vi be actually worth to buy it?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

5 dollars

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:

Yobgoblin posted:

how much should civ vi be actually worth to buy it?

I think $40, but I feel like full price was worth it. Way better than Civ BE or Civ 5 pre expansions

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bukkits posted:

I think $40, but I feel like full price was worth it. Way better than Civ BE or Civ 5 pre expansions

Yeah, I think this is pretty fair.

If it ever does become priced at $5 though....:getin:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

This is my first civ game and so far the default setting seems kinda easy, like once I hit the Industrial Age nobody is a threat and it's just a slow march to victory

Planning out where to settle and district cities is really cool though

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This is my first civ game and so far the default setting seems kinda easy, like once I hit the Industrial Age nobody is a threat and it's just a slow march to victory

Planning out where to settle and district cities is really cool though

Not my first civ game by any stretch but this is 100% true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that's a problem with 4x games in general tbh. the game is frequently won in essence long before it is won in fact. civ far from does not suffer from this problem, it's kinda emblematic of it

• Locked thread