Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skwirl posted:

The kicker wasn't actually hurt though, right. They spiked the ball ball and brought him out to kick the next one, which he made, then there was another bullshit penalty that invalidated that. Call out the bullshit penalties, but stop claiming Sherman tried to kill the kicker when you know he's a good enough player that if he wanted to snap off someone's kneecap he could've.

Sherman is not an anime real life doesn't work like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grittybeard posted:

I will take the utterly insane position that Sherman is not a 'good enough player' to injure people at will. Dude made a dangerous play, luckily no one was hurt even if the guy did go full soccer player rolling around on the ground.

I'm going to take the position that Richard Sherman tripped while trying to block a kick and didn't specifically set out to cripple his opponent.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sherman is not an anime real life doesn't work like that

Richard Sherman is Tall Corner No Penalties.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Skwirl posted:

I'm going to take the position that Richard Sherman tripped while trying to block a kick and didn't specifically set out to cripple his opponent.

Hahaha what a dipshit

What's with people referring to some Twitter need instead of the actual rules?

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/useofhands

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TG-Chrono posted:

Hahaha what a dipshit

Assume I'm loving retarded, which bit of that applies to the "Richard Sherman failed to cripple a kicker" play?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i mean you can say it was a dangerous play he tried to make but to actually believe his intent was to injure someone is pretty ridiculous

he's isn't james harrison or anything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly intent isn't that important.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly intent isn't that important.

If he'd injured the kicker I'd say "I don't give a poo poo what you meant to do, you've ruined a guys life," but no one was injured in the play. If he was trying to snap the kicker's leg and failed, then throw the loving book at him, but if he wasn't and tripped or failed to stop and no one was seriously hurt, then what the gently caress is the issue?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Skwirl posted:

If he'd injured the kicker I'd say "I don't give a poo poo what you meant to do, you've ruined a guys life," but no one was injured in the play. If he was trying to snap the kicker's leg and failed, then throw the loving book at him, but if he wasn't and tripped or failed to stop and no one was seriously hurt, then what the gently caress is the issue?

The poor officiating probably cost the bills 3 points

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jonathan Fisk posted:

The poor officiating probably cost the bills 3 points

And how many points did they lose by?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Skwirl posted:

6. Which means if they had 3 more points they had about a 95% chance at a tie game, given the redzone position, instead of being forced to go for it on a 4th and 10.

Stop bullshitting yourself and us.

Skwirl posted:

This is about the third time I've seen someone call it a "trip." What did he trip on? His own shoes? The grass?

He was loving diving. And he was definitely not diving towards the ball. He had to reach back behind himself when he realized he dived too early, in the wrong drat direction, at the kicker.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 8, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skwirl posted:

Six while being in position for a very short field goal at the end of the game.

I mean, seriously?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A Seahawks fan who didn't even watch the game.

12 man indeed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

He was loving diving. And he was definitely not diving towards the ball.

He was diving towards where most blocked kicks are blocked, a foot or two in front of the spot it is held at. If you dive exactly at the ball as it is being kicked you're usually going to get there a second after the ball left. If you dive in front you usually intersect with the balls flight path. The problem is Sherman misstimed the kick and ended up getting there early. I absolutely agree that it is a penalty. I do not think it was malicious, especially since Sherman has no history of malicious hits or dirty shots. Yes, he is a player who breaks the rules often by holding or interfering, but he's definitely not in the camp of Brandon Merriweather or James Harrison.

Considering the nature of the sport I think the benefit of the doubt should be in order unless the player has a history of illegal and dirty shots. Sherman hasn't made a career out of tearing ACLs or inflicting concussions; he's famous for intelligent play that often bends and breaks the rules, but doesn't endanger careers and health. The guy even writes articles condemning the league for its lip service to player safety. I don't see why he should immediately be thrown into the same category as Vontaze Burfict.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'll concede that the Bills maybe could have tied the game with a field goal if the field goal in question hadn't been thrown out with bullshit penalties,

TG-Chrono posted:

Hahaha what a dipshit

but I still have no idea what part of this applied.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Chichevache posted:

He was diving towards where most blocked kicks are blocked, a foot or two in front of the spot it is held at. If you dive exactly at the ball as it is being kicked you're usually going to get there a second after the ball left. If you dive in front you usually intersect with the balls flight path. The problem is Sherman misstimed the kick and ended up getting there early. I absolutely agree that it is a penalty. I do not think it was malicious, especially since Sherman has no history of malicious hits or dirty shots. Yes, he is a player who breaks the rules often by holding or interfering, but he's definitely not in the camp of Brandon Merriweather or James Harrison.

Considering the nature of the sport I think the benefit of the doubt should be in order unless the player has a history of illegal and dirty shots. Sherman hasn't made a career out of tearing ACLs or inflicting concussions; he's famous for intelligent play that often bends and breaks the rules, but doesn't endanger careers and health. The guy even writes articles condemning the league for its lip service to player safety. I don't see why he should immediately be thrown into the same category as Vontaze Burfict.

If this was true every single time he, or anyone really, tried to block a FG they would run into the kicker. Carpenter had already planted his leg and was starting to kick when Sherman got there about .5 seconds early. Carpenter's position wasn't off from a normal FG attempt when Sherman ran into him.

Maybe it was his weird adjustment to try to reach back for the ball, due to his early start, that caused him run into Carpenter's leg and go at that bad angle but I find that hard to believe when Sherman's telling reporters that Carpenter should've just not kicked the ball because Sherman was diving at his leg.

If you want to give him the benefit of the doubt then fine. I'm not even saying Sherman's some gross, filthy player and I'm not the one who started naming dirty players. This was just a stone cold dirty play. I assume he won't make a habit of it.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 8, 2016

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Chichevache posted:

The guy even writes articles condemning the league for its lip service to player safety.

Then he's a hypocrite, because he absolutely set an example of disregarding the kickers safety (and even blaming the kicker for going through with the kick) which was then reinforced by the pathetic refereeing at the half. Charge down the kicker, only give up 5 yards and probably make it harder (if not impossible) to do again that game. I've stopped paying for any kind of NFL service over this continued bullshit.

And seriously the rules do not allow for WRs to get laid out on the other side of the field once the QB has left the pocket. Blocks have to be "In actual attempt to get at or tackle runner." otherwise it's holding.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

actually they do

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Tweak posted:

actually they do

Yeah, I mean you can argue it's a bad rule, but it's in place for a reason. Laying out that wr was definitely legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Schwack posted:

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/795853352127070209

Dude actually wrote about it 3 years ago. He's a pro as heck follow imo
This owns.

• Locked thread