Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

HannibalBarca posted:

Basically they should have locked him in a room for 5 months and only let him communicate with the outside world in the form of strategy memos.
They should have locked him in a room for certain, but made him communicate only by pulling levers that translate all his New Democrat lingo into Progressive talking points. Then we can argue over whether Bill Clinton is an actual progressive or just a simulation of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

The problem with NPVIC is that there isn't and can't be any real legal enforcement mechanism if a state decides to go rogue. Depending on the actual procedure for taking the votes at the electoral college, which I'm not at all familiar with, a faithless state could either change the outcome at worst if they are near the last to vote, or at best they could throw everything into complete chaos where the other states' electors would have no idea who to vote for. It could be exceedingly messy.

It's no different from how things are now, it's just a bunch of states changing their state laws on electoral vote distribution.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

On his way out the door, Obama says, "marijuana should be treated like cigarettes or alcohol."

But he thinks that Congress should change the law or change the DEA's authority and that the President shouldn't do it.

Also, he is going to make "more clarifying statements about where I think we need to go" on marijuana policy once he is "a private citizen."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.279b31d868ca

I hope Obama gets poo poo on harder than Carter because he's such a passive shithead. It's a good thing the Tea Party became a thing because if the GOP had been entirely establishment we'd have had several years of entitlement destruction in return for the occasional table scrap instead of him and the Dems going "wait they want to burn it all and not just some of it? Nah that's too much for us."

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope Obama gets poo poo on harder than Carter because he's such a passive shithead. It's a good thing the Tea Party became a thing because if the GOP had been entirely establishment we'd have had several years of entitlement destruction in return for the occasional table scrap instead of him and the Dems going "wait they want to burn it all and not just some of it? Nah that's too much for us."

What would you have preferred he do, exactly?

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Obama's been playing a careful game of chess for the past eight years while the GOP has been busy sawing the legs off the table, not giving a single gently caress.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's getting really hard to tell who is being super ironic and who is just completely insane

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

What was this tweet from Jon Lovitz?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

phasmid posted:

I remember. It's part of why she lost, after all. Her campaign (which is just an extension of her) seemed to believe that them colored folk don't nowise know how to vote but downticket D.

From what do you draw this conclusion, like do you have examples?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

SaTaMaS posted:

It's getting really hard to tell who is being super ironic and who is just completely insane

Uh, what's wrong with that post, other than hoping Obama will be poo poo on harder than Carter (he will be)?

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Devor posted:

What was this tweet from Jon Lovitz?

It was announcing that Roy Cooper had won NC, but I guess they decided to let McCrory delay the inevitable

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-carolina-recount-durham-county-pat-mccrory-roy-cooper-2016-11

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

phasmid posted:

I remember. It's part of why she lost, after all. Her campaign (which is just an extension of her) seemed to believe that them colored folk don't nowise know how to vote but downticket D.

No you see she carried hot sauce in her purse therefore they owed her their allegiance.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

From what do you draw this conclusion, like do you have examples?

The Clinton campaign only disbursed 4% of funds it raised meant for downticket races actually to down ticket races.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure Dems are going to need Obama for 2018 and 2020, so lets hope he becomes the Democratic Reagan.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not all Dems are super thrilled with Obama right now. I realize this is an earth-shattering revelation.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What was this tweet? It's gone now

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

No see Feingold was a double neoliberal so he underperformed Hillary by 2%Whereas bold progressives like Joe Manchin bested her by double digits. Why are democrats so dumb???

JeffersonClay posted:

The point isn't that he lost, the point is that he lost by more than Hillary despite being generally viewed as more progressive. Similarly, blue dogs like Joe Manchin outperformed hillary by a significant margin. These data points do not suggest the answer for Democrats is as simple as "be more progressive".

That data point seems to suggest that Hillary didn't bother to spend any resources campaigning in WI, and that WV is a state full of inbred hill people with strange voting habits

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Maybe that has to do with Hillary not bothering to spend any resources on WI at all?

No, it's the Left who is wrong

Plus, Joe Manchin had a somewhat unique situation where Donald Trump specifically pandered to his constituents (coal industry people) while Hillary specifically took a giant dump on them (yeah yeah, I know she was promising green industry jobs but who thought that would actually work?).

The comparison is a little disingenuous.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JeffersonClay posted:

The point isn't that he lost, the point is that he lost by more than Hillary despite being generally viewed as more progressive. Similarly, blue dogs like Joe Manchin outperformed hillary by a significant margin. These data points do not suggest the answer for Democrats is as simple as "be more progressive".

https://twitter.com/carl_diggler/status/804086439151542272

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hey Obama pushed forward huge gains in acceptance of sexual identity. That's not something to brush aside.

He also droned some folk.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yea this thread needs more pseudo-anger over the use of drones. poo poo isn't fake enough.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

What was this tweet? It's gone now

Cooper was reaching the vote threshold needed to block any recounts but McCrory was able to get a recount in Durham County anyway because he's a sore loser that wants to delay the inevitable :nallears:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Obama used drones on a mean man who said mean things about america and probably committed terrorism killing innocent people.

Trump runs on promising to annihilate the family members of any terrorist.

People are just connecting dots that might be miles between one another, but they are dots!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

:staredog:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Yea this thread needs more pseudo-anger over the use of drones. poo poo isn't fake enough.

Slightly less annoying than the "no! I am the real leftist!" slap fight.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mustached Demon posted:

Slightly less annoying than the "no! I am the real leftist!" slap fight.

It's kind of part and parcel

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Carl Diggler is a joke account.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Cooper was reaching the vote threshold needed to block any recounts but McCrory was able to get a recount in Durham County anyway because he's a sore loser that wants to delay the inevitable :nallears:

Is there any actual possibility at all that he McCrory could actually get appointed governor by dragging out the official tallying of votes, or is that mostly just an unfounded fear?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I support a private drone air force made entirely of gold.

Too long have we suffered under the unblinking eye of fiat drones.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Watching Trump supporters implode has been kind of amusing at least.

https://twitter.com/therealbradg/status/804048624615198720

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

JeffersonClay posted:

And yet numerous studies have shown that most of the country has polarized over the last decade or two, and there is no more "center" to appeal to. Drumpf didn't win because Dems jumped ship to the Repbulican party, they lost because there were just less Dems at the polls in the first place, probably due to a fun combination of voter suppression and a milquetoast centrist candidate.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's kind of part and parcel

Maybe we should reevaluate the purpose of uspol. It didn't used to be lovely. MUPGA!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kro-Bar posted:

Watching Trump supporters implode has been kind of amusing at least.

https://twitter.com/therealbradg/status/804048624615198720

More like comedy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

well, i mean, the democrats have been getting hammered since clinton and the third way. how many times have we controlled the legislature and had a sitting president in the last 25 years?

As opposed to the stunning legacy of success they enjoyed in the 25 years before Clinton? Face it - Bill Clinton, triangulation and all, is the second most popular and second most successful Democratic president in the last half-century.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The fact that Trump gained Latino share versus Romney is something that I don't think anybody saw in any polling service.

The fact that people insist on this is further evidence that the left doesn't actually understand minorities. Not every Latino voter cares about illegal Mexican immigrants.

JeffersonClay posted:

It didn't help that he acted like a bumbling buffoon more than once during the campaign. When he started making GBS threads on Obamacare in October everyone tuned him out.

Suggesting that Obamacare was imperfect was probably a good move on his part, since it's unpopular and the media has been screaming for months that it's teetering on the edge of disaster. It's not like he could have made things any worse, anyway. The strategy of sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling "LA LA LA OBAMACARE IS FINE I CAN'T HEAR YOU" doesn't appear to have worked particularly well. Acknowledging its faults would be a gamble, but it had the chance to pay off big by letting Hillary campaign on fixing it...though on the other hand, Hillary's learned firsthand how thorny healthcare reform policy can be and probably wanted to avoid that particular can of worms while on the campaign trail.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mustached Demon posted:

Maybe we should reevaluate the purpose of uspol. It didn't used to be lovely. MUPGA!

Hey now let's not say things we may regret.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Foreboding news for net neutrality (not Trump's appointments this time): https://www.techdirt.com/blog/netne...look-like.shtml

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

hangedman1984 posted:

Is there any actual possibility at all that he McCrory could actually get appointed governor by dragging out the official tallying of votes, or is that mostly just an unfounded fear?

The state GOP already said that they're not going to take this race to the state legislature and an election board appointed by McCrory in Durham County saw no need for a recount. It's mostly just McCrory having a tantrum with no one else backing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
USpol-the-megathread is taking an indefinite hiatus.

If you want do discuss a US political topic or current event, you can make a thread for it in D&D or C-SPAM (depending how serious you want it to be). If you feel like you don't know enough about the topic to make a 'good' OP, that's okay! It doesn't need to be super high-effort, and can be posed as more of a question.

If you want to talk about off-topic stuff with the USpol :airquote:community:airquote: , you can do so in the chat thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-WP6POdTgY

if you make another uspol thread (including by stealth) you'll be probated. cheer's.

• Locked thread