Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The Halloween rec thread did alright, so I thought I'd try to make it a regular thing and see what happens. This month's theme is...

:redhammer: RESISTANCE :redhammer:

Post your favourite games about resisting authority, fighting fascism, or generally opposing oppression in this thread. This includes:

:911: Anything you think fits. Historical games about fighting the Nazis, modern games about fighting the Nazis, cyberpunk games about fighting megacorps, games about activism, political thrillers, whatever. It doesn't have to be the game's focus, just something you think works well for it. If you're not sure, post it anyway.
:911: Tabletop games, board games, card games, LARPs, etc.
:911: Tabletop RPGs, whether they're for oneshots or campaigns
:911: Adventure modules and other things that can be inserted in longer-running campaigns
:911: Good props, music, etc.
:911: Other tricks that have worked well for you in the past. (Longer posts might fit the experience thread better, though.)
:911: Anything else you can think of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Saving America, one game at a time. Smash racism!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Coup is a great game about smashing the state and being betrayed by people that you thought you could count on.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Resistance.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Avalon! It's just like the Reaistance, but with an added mechanic of a secret Merlin player, who knows who the evil knights are. But if the evil knights can guess who Merlin is at the end of the game, they win anyway! Be subtle with your guidance, Merlin!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Green Intern posted:

Avalon! It's just like the Reaistance, but with an added mechanic of a secret Merlin player, who knows who the evil knights are. But if the evil knights can guess who Merlin is at the end of the game, they win anyway! Be subtle with your guidance, Merlin!
Avalon is about fighting for the establishment, man!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tekopo posted:

Avalon is about fighting for the establishment, man!

I mean, somebody's got to play as Mordred's Minions, but yeah. At least King Arthur and his knights are Mythologically Good in this game's case.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Netrunner if you only play Runner.
Dungeon Lords if you're properly woke and realize that adventurers are the real oppressors.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Cuba Libre, Fire in the Lake, and Falling Sky

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Well, if resisting the powers that be involves comedy games that make fun of the powers that be...

A few years ago, I made a game for a design contest on this board, and after seeing the debates this time around I decided the time was right:

It's the last debate for the Presidency of the United States, and only one of the players can go on to be the Commander-In-Chief! Naturally, the winner will be the person who is most qualified to lead.

By "most qualified to lead," we of course mean "most ruthless mudslinger who doesn't give two shits about other people".

Similar to "Apples to Apples" and "Cards Against Humanity," ERAUGH! (A Game of Political Mudslinging) players take on the role of candidates
at the final debate to decide the President of the United States. Each round, candidates answer the moderator's question of the round by telling a
malicious lie about another one of the candidates (basing the lie on one of the cards in their hand).

The first candidate to reach 5 supporters wins and is elected to the Presidency of the United States!

Intended for 4-6 "Immature" "Adults". Takes 30-45 minutes to play.

I'm selling it through DriveThruCards, and 4 stores in the Austin, Texas, area are selling it and letting me run events. Our last two will be Thursday at A-Kid-At-Heart and Friday at Mothership Books and Games. Both events are from 6p to when the stores close (9 or 10p).

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TheSoundNinja posted:

Well, if resisting the powers that be involves comedy games that make fun of the powers that be...

Hell yeah :getin:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Most Dark Sun adventures are resistance minded.

Overthrowing a tyrant Sorcerer King or dealing with the wizard resistance group the Veiled Alliance.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Green Intern posted:

Resistance 2nd E and the current expansion (not the original expansion) brings Resistance fully up to Avalon in rules, plus adds in the former kickstarter only Lancelot/Double Agent character, in addition to a few rule variants that don't use new pieces. Like the "trapper" variant, where the current leader chooses an extra person for the team before the table votes to accept or reject, then the leader chooses a player to leave behind. f you already have Avalon it's not worth purchasing though, especially since it takes an extra box just to get you up to baseline Avalon

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Do old games count? Because 1993's Underground is all about resisting an incredibly hosed up near future American society where the system is corrupt, people are less than the sum of their parts, money is power, guns are everywhere, and the only hope for change lies in the hands of super-powered war veterans with crippling psychological problems.

The best part of Underground is its system which actually allows characters to change the world around them. Things like crime rate, economic factors, etc. on various levels (street, city, state, etc.) are quantified and can be changed through concerted effort.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's a good game to introduce someone to miniatures wargaming who doesn't have much money and/or won't be buying their own poo poo? I want like babby's first wargame ruleset. Not Xwing

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

signalnoise posted:

What's a good game to introduce someone to miniatures wargaming who doesn't have much money and/or won't be buying their own poo poo? I want like babby's first wargame ruleset. Not Xwing

I don't have first hand experience, but I've heard that the Lord of the Rings skirmish game is surprisingly elegant and small-scale.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

Theres Brikwars, or that Lego Mecha game Mobile Frame Zero? (I think). Who doesn't have Lego lying around?

Edit: On the resistance note, someone recommend a good cyberpunk RPG that isn't fantasy (sorry Shadowrun)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Theres Brikwars, or that Lego Mecha game Mobile Frame Zero? (I think). Who doesn't have Lego lying around?

Edit: On the resistance note, someone recommend a good cyberpunk RPG that isn't fantasy (sorry Shadowrun)

Interface Zero? Cyberpunk (not 3rd)? Eclipse Phase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

signalnoise posted:

I want like babby's first wargame ruleset.

Hordes of the Things?

• Locked thread