Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Okay so. There's definitely a shameful layer of I'M GONNA MOVE TO CANADA DAD!! in this post, but my research has me genuinely curious now. Plus, I love a good adventure. :shepicide:

I understand the IT field is in demand right now in Europe and can net you a skilled worker visa/resident permit/whatever pretty easily. I know I'm starting off miles behind everyone else since I'm A) a yank, B) currently only speak (really bad) French, and C) have no connections to various countries I've been looking at. That being said, here's my questions.

• How feasible is it to emigrate as a 36 year old highly skilled worker? I have 10+ years of programming experience across a variety of languages. (Please rate difficulty on a scale from "really really difficult" to "what the gently caress is wrong with you Chokes")
  • What countries have you had success in or heard success stories about? I'm eyeing Berlin above all else. My understanding is most Scandinavian countries aren't really looking right now, Canada has a hilarious backlog of requests to work through, and I don't think I could hack it in France even if I got my foot in the door.
  • Has anyone successfully completed everything from the initial move to settling in as a permanent resident/citizen? Do you have any stories?
  • How long does the process take? (I'm already expecting 4-5 years bare minimum just to line up the job and paperwork)
  • How much do I expect to spend expatriating? Can I keep at least one kidney? Spleen? Do they allow people to sell intestines? They barely work anyway.

Thanks, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh come on admins, that username doesn't even rhyme like Zoot Suit does :mad:

At any rate I don't have any real advice except to point out a semi-recent A/T thread on moving to Canada posted in angry response to police shootings. As you can well imagine there was a goodly amount of shitposting and assorted pilings-on, but as I recall there was some good information in there about immigration as well. Only six pages, might be worth a skim.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ciaphas posted:

Oh come on admins, that username doesn't even rhyme like Zoot Suit does :mad:

It's amazing what can happen if an admin's in a chat room while you're shitposting :mmmhmm: Although in lieu of recent events I'm ready to change back now.

Ciaphas posted:

At any rate I don't have any real advice except to point out a semi-recent A/T thread on moving to Canada posted in angry response to police shootings. As you can well imagine there was a goodly amount of shitposting and assorted pilings-on, but as I recall there was some good information in there about immigration as well. Only six pages, might be worth a skim.

Alright, thanks! I'm also checking out the Norway and Iceland threads. I've been thinking about Iceland for a while. I have no idea why. Maybe I just really like Bjork? :downs:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I too, leave my place of birth when things that trigger my entitlement complex do not go my way.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Please take this as a genuine question, not an attempt to rile you.

I work for the Irish wing of a B2B tech marketing company, and help out with recruitment/interviews on days I can leave my team to their own devices. One question I'd ask would be why should we hire you if, hypothetically, you don't get your own way and decide to bail on us. I can't speak for everyone, but the dominant conversation topic around the office today was the Canadian immigration site going down and how it reflects badly on people because they'd rather leave when they lose something, than stay and try again. Packing up and leaving when your candidate loses comes accross as reactionary and entitled, and would be a large concern when deciding on a candidate.

That said, if you have skills, a genuine reason beyond losing an election (if you desire a homogeneous political climate, the sheer number of parties in europaen parliaments might be a turn off), and are willing to work with whatever systems are in place, you'd be welcomed in Ireland :)

Source: My team is 11 strong, including a Brazilian, a Canadian and New Zealander who all moved here ~2 years ago.

If you want to consider Ireland, this is a good place to start: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/before_you_come_to_ireland.html

Best of luck :)

Oh and fwiw, my best friend just came home from 2 years in Berlin as a programmer for a pharma company, he hated the place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ChickenWyngz posted:

I work for the Irish wing of a B2B tech marketing company, and help out with recruitment/interviews on days I can leave my team to their own devices. One question I'd ask would be why should we hire you if, hypothetically, you don't get your own way and decide to bail on us. I can't speak for everyone, but the dominant conversation topic around the office today was the Canadian immigration site going down and how it reflects badly on people because they'd rather leave when they lose something, than stay and try again. Packing up and leaving when your candidate loses comes accross as reactionary and entitled, and would be a large concern when deciding on a candidate.

That said, if you have skills, a genuine reason beyond losing an election (if you desire a homogeneous political climate, the sheer number of parties in europaen parliaments might be a turn off), and are willing to work with whatever systems are in place, you'd be welcomed in Ireland :)

Source: My team is 11 strong, including a Brazilian, a Canadian and New Zealander who all moved here ~2 years ago.

If you want to consider Ireland, this is a good place to start: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/before_you_come_to_ireland.html

Oh and fwiw, my best friend just came home from 2 years in Berlin as a programmer for a pharma company, he hated the place.

"Members of my family are racial minorities or mixed and I fear for their safety" is probably a good start for the reasoning of some folks. Same with sexual or gender identity, there are a lot of transpeople in highly-skilled roles who are looking at the prospect of losing not only recognition and rights but the possibility of even affording to continue the medical side of their transition.

Me? Possibly fleeing the domestic financial and social instability that is coming with the proposed legislation. I'll probably want to finish my CAMS certification before it's too late but here's to hoping someone can chime in with what the AML (Anti-Money Laundering) field looks like abroad.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ChickenWyngz posted:

No worries. Like I said in the OP, it's not something I'm just going to kneejerk my way into, and I have to ask hard questions to make sure. I understand it's a massive five year undertaking just to get started and will require devoting myself to a whole new life. First question is early feasibility to see if it's worth my time to look at, next question is a hard look at whether or not I want to do it. I'm rapidly bearing down on that part.

quote:

Thanks! I'll add it to the pile.

quote:

Yeah. I'm really kind of meh on Berlin, but I want to make sure I consider my options. Plus, it's motivation to learn German! (And sharpen up French.) More languages is always good, regardless of whether or not it goes anywhere.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 10, 2016

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

FAUXTON posted:

"Members of my family are racial minorities or mixed and I fear for their safety" is probably a good start for the reasoning of some folks. Same with sexual or gender identity, there are a lot of transpeople in highly-skilled roles who are looking at the prospect of losing not only recognition and rights but the possibility of even affording to continue the medical side of their transition.

Forgive my ignorance on that one, these are things I can't imagine happening where I live. We put through gay marriage on a referendum with a popular vote, the most popular day time radio show is hosted by a gay man (married to a gay weather presenter on Irish TV, no less), the gender recognition act set in stone that trans people are recognized. We are one of just six countries in the world that expressly allow trans people to self-determine their legal gender. I live in the town that elected Ireland's first black mayor in 2007. His family fled here from Nigeria in 2000 because of religious persecution. I'm sorry for anyone being worried about having to uproot because of poo poo like that.

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

No worries. Like I said in the OP, it's not something I'm just going to kneejerk my way into, and I have to ask hard questions to make sure. I understand it's a massive five year undertaking just to get started and will require devoting myself to a whole new life. First question is early feasibility to see if it's worth my time to look at, next question is a hard look at whether or not I want to do it. I'm rapidly bearing down on that part

I hope it works out for you dude, whatever you decide to do. Not putting those skills to use would be a shame :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ChickenWyngz posted:

Forgive my ignorance on that one, these are things I can't imagine happening where I live. We put through gay marriage on a referendum with a popular vote, the most popular day time radio show is hosted by a gay man (married to a gay weather presenter on Irish TV, no less), the gender recognition act set in stone that trans people are recognized. We are one of just six countries in the world that expressly allow trans people to self-determine their legal gender. I live in the town that elected Ireland's first black mayor in 2007. His family fled here from Nigeria in 2000 because of religious persecution. I'm sorry for anyone being worried about having to uproot because of poo poo like that.

Whether or not it sounds stupid in global context, a lot of us Americans are loving stone cold terrified of what could happen now. This isn't like when Kerry lost to Bush and everyone went WELL I'M GONNA MOVE TO CANADA :mad:. Imagine if France elected Le Penn without even needing a runoff. That's where we're at.

Look, I know America is a privileged and self centered country, but there's compelling reasons right now for us to leave. Things are already horrible with our health care system and are about to get way worse. We only passed the weakest of reform measures a decade ago, which finally (:smith:) granted us the right to reasonable public insurance and to not be refused coverage on a whim. This includes pregnancy, which was a particularly nasty tactic before the ACA. The party now in complete control of the government has been howling for four years to get rid of it, and there's no reason to expect they won't, which is going to end up in a lot of people dying. In many, many cities, police are shooting black people without cause and getting away with it—and, in some places, actively receiving community support. Voting rights are being rolled back specifically to disenfranchise minorities. There's a very good chance women are going to lose widespread access to basic reproductive health. Gay marriage and trans rights, which we fought like gently caress to get, is very likely to go away the first time it gets in front of the Supreme Court. (Although, to be fair, Justice Kennedy may be able to hold back that tide—but gods help us if something happens to Ginsburg before then.) And, on top of all of this, we put a loving egomaniacal reality TV star in the White House, someone who couldn't get through an entire political debate without melting down into incomprehensible ad homenims within the first 10 minutes, someone who has publicly told a large chunk of our immigrant population that they're rapists. His cabinet is already going to include an Exxon guy to the EPA. He's said he wants the FCC to fine reporters who criticize him. Senator Reid revealed that the FBI has proof Russia aided his election, and they didn't do anything about it. And, let's not forget he's literally admitted to sexual assault live, on the air.

And after all this, he was still voted in by 70%+ of whites.

So no, I don't have a lot of confidence things are going to get better any time soon, and if the majority of country is okay with the above then I don't care to be part of it. Four years of this is very likely to be enough to turbofuck the country for decades, regardless of how hard we fight. I'm not going to sit here and pretend Americans don't have a tendency to cry wolf at the first sign of discomfort, but we're really scared. I think we have good reason this time.

ChickenWyngz posted:

I hope it works out for you dude, whatever you decide to do. Not putting those skills to use would be a shame :)

Me too. The big thing right now is to get some money together and actually, y'know, live there for a week on vacation. Not tour, but actually get a bed and breakfast in a town and make our own way. Since I'm not going to France, I don't know what's out there, and it would be humongously stupid to even consider moving somewhere if you've never been there. After all, you don't walk into someone's house and claim you own the place, let alone move in. You'd think this'd be obvious, but America. :negative:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 10, 2016

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007
Considering you mention Berlin specifically below, I just want to point out that there's a real possibility of a major political shift to the right in Germany next year as well.

Over and above that, there's bound to be a whole lot of scenarios playing out in the next few years which may turn the world upside down altogether. For example, if USA quits NATO, will Russia pull a Crimea on Latvia/Estonia/Lithuania?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BlueBull posted:

Over and above that, there's bound to be a whole lot of scenarios playing out in the next few years which may turn the world upside down altogether. For example, if USA quits NATO, will Russia pull a Crimea on Latvia/Estonia/Lithuania?

NATO's one of the things that really worries me. Defaulting on the debt is the other. It would be Really Bad™ for world economy if the US bond suddenly wasn't a sure bet anymore, and the dumbasses we just elected almost did that with only the House in their grasp. Plus, y'know, that whole "solves economic problems through bankrupcy and not paying people" thing that Trump brags about.

I do recognize there's a lot of things that could shift before the emigration process even gets going in earnest, so my first move is to move to California to limit damage. I wanted Hawaii originally because they're far enough away from mainland and have an entire culture that revolves around not being dicks to people, but lmbo at the cost of living. Beyond that, I dunno. I'd like to keep my options open, though, because none of us have any clue where this is going to end up.

e: that being said the guys in the Norway thread seem pretty chill :)

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 11, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If you want to move to Germany I would rather look at the south. We have full employment right now and a substantial shortage of qualified workers. Berlin is in pretty bad shape and the east, in general, is mostly a wasteland.

Also, if you move to Munich you theoretically will never have to learn a single word of German and in fact many people don't. There won't be a language barrier. (Obviously you absolutely should learn the language.)

Gotta shoot down some crap before it takes off and turns into a real discussion:

- Russia will not attack or invade the Baltic states or any other parts of the EU; this is not something that you should take seriously

- Germany now has a major right-wing party that is projected to take 10-15% of the votes in the next federal election. they represent a more moderate and restrained form of Trumpism; there is no chance of them becoming part of a ruling coalition, all major parties are comply boycotting them

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Skoll posted:

I too, leave my place of birth when things that trigger my entitlement complex do not go my way.

Yes people's "entitlement complex" about hard-fought rights and basic health care. They should just shut up and stay there rather than go somewhere with these rights and much more already in place and guaranteed. They are such quitters.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

The party now in complete control of the government has been howling for four years to get rid of it, and there's no reason to expect they won't,
When they voted 100 times to repeal it, they did so with 100% confidence that it would not be repealed. It's an entitlement program. An entitlement program that people have had years to get used to. If they make it go away in a flash, none of them will have jobs in 2 years. They might abolish it on day 1, but they are smart enough to enact other legislation to preserve the important parts. Trump himself has already said he would abolish it, but keep protection from pre-existing conditions (which is stupid for a multitude of reasons, but still).

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Any relatively recent European ancestors? If so may be worth double-checking citizenship laws in whatever countries your family came from. I just found out I've been a German citizen my whole life without knowing it and the only thing keeping me from an EU passport is some paperwork and a nominal fee.

e: nm, just saw you already said no connection. Leaving this up in case it applies to any lurkers in similar situation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Scudworth posted:

Yes people's "entitlement complex" about hard-fought rights and basic health care. They should just shut up and stay there rather than go somewhere with these rights and much more already in place and guaranteed. They are such quitters.

I can kind of understand the reaction given how we threw a whiny babby fit when Kerry lost, although they're still being a huge dick. :jerkbag: At least the drunken war criminal had a dem senate and a party that would actually allow a government to function. I mean, they still signed off on Roberts, even though they didn't like it.

I don't people realize just how bad this is. We don't have rational actors in the government anymore. There is a very good chance they will crash the global economy by defaulting on the debt. That alone should be cause to get real worried that this is more than a knee jerk political reaction.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 12, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

photomikey posted:

If they make it go away in a flash, none of them will have jobs in 2 years.

And if Trump is caught on camera bragging about sexual assault, the American people will bulldoze his shot at the White House.

Also anecdotal: my home state, Kentucky, voted in a tea party governor who dismantled one of the shining examples of ACA. Then, they expressed deep incredulity even though the idiot told them he would do exactly that during his campaign. And what do they do afterwards? Straight ticket Republican without batting an eyelash.

I'm really sorry for the rants, and I promise this'll be the last one. I really do want this to be a high info thread for all reasons, not just politics. But, I can't say it enough: America is entering uncharted territory here, and it's got all the indications of a horror show.

Okay, back to the matter at hand now. Honest.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

And if Trump is caught on camera bragging about sexual assault, the American people will bulldoze his shot at the White House.
No, the American people will not, I wouldn't have predicted that when it broke a month ago either. People are focused on themselves. Bullshit caught on tape about someone talking abut no one in particular will cause everyone to raise hell and no one to change their minds. Entitlement programs affect voters directly. Mark my words, Trump will further gently caress up Obamacare, and he may say he'll repeal it completely, but he will not repeal it completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
For the Europe goons still in the thread: what's Munich like these days? It had been mentioned earlier, and I'm curious to visit now. Even if nothing comes of it I could stand to get outside American and/or French culture in my world experiences.

• Locked thread