Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Here's an interesting article about effective protesting.

Some highlights:

quote:

The general advice I heard from researchers, over and over again, all fit in the same general category: Make the barrier to entry as low as possible; make the protests as inclusive as possible. Sometimes, this will involve moves that feel counterintuitive. For example, Rojas said that while the reason everyone will be gathering in D.C. is obviously Trump’s election, protest organizers should downplay the focus on Trump himself and make things more issue-oriented...

quote:

"What my research has found is that the right has far fewer ideological purity tests for activism than the left does. So they’re taking all comers and they’re converting people in action. Just come, and just do it. By contrast, there’s a whole language you need to know from some of the left groups — your ability to be involved often depends on already having a healthy résumé of doing other lefty things..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Any tips on how students living on-campus can act up? I'm going to school full-time next fall but I don't live in the area so I don't think I qualify to be on local boards or governments....

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Vote locally. Make sure all your rear end in a top hat friends are registered to vote and make them vote, especially in midterm elections*. Your ability to do so will depend on where your college is; lots of college towns specifically put up residency hurdles to avoid having to live with stupid decisions made by a bunch of immature kids who only live there part time for four years and never have to face the consequences of said votes, like higher property taxes or Joe the Homeless Meth Addict for Mayor.

Volunteer to canvass/phone call/data entry/other grunt work for your local Democratic office. Not just during election season. Even if you can't vote in local elections nothing says you can't work on them.

Educate yourself on local issues. Hard to be an advocate for cleaner air if you don't know the main employer outside the university is a coal mine or what have you. Keep in mind a lot of townies will dismiss you as a know it all naive college kid and be prepared to roll with the punches.

Get involved in student political or activist organizations. Lots of them are hotbeds of teenage drama and stupid slapfights but there's always a few worthwhile people you can get to know and the school foots the bill for student clubs (check out what all those fees you pay go for!) This can include webspace and email aliases and possibly even dedicated meeting space as well which can be really helpful if you're starting your own organization. Lots of clubs will also be dormant or dead and you can resurrect them with new blood.

*Offer not valid if you/said friends live in a swing state and go to school in a safe blue state. Register where your vote will be most effective if you can manage it

Oracle has issued a correction as of 06:53 on Dec 1, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

No, register where you're legally required to register. Absolutely nothing good could come of encouraging people to break the law. The second this becomes a big enough deal to impact elections is the second republicans pass regressive voter suppression laws that go way beyond college kids.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rejoin your drat church (if applicable) and argue for social justice issues from within. Do anything that gives you authority outside of your social bubble.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

No, register where you're legally required to register. Absolutely nothing good could come of encouraging people to break the law. The second this becomes a big enough deal to impact elections is the second republicans pass regressive voter suppression laws that go way beyond college kids.
Nobody's encouraging anyone to break the law. Thus the 'if you can manage it' caveat and the 'check residency requirements' blurb. There is a lot of gray area when it comes to where college kids live for voter registration purposes because while they have a 'permanent address' in one area they live for nine months+ out of the year in another for several years at a time. Its nowhere near as clear cut as you seem to think. Its also adorable that you think Republicans aren't already passing as many voter suppression laws as they can get away with, and haven't targeted college kids for years already.

quote:

Rejoin your drat church (if applicable) and argue for social justice issues from within. Do anything that gives you authority outside of your social bubble.
This is going to be the subject of another post. Too many goons auto-dismissive of/hostile to organized religion.

Oracle has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Dec 1, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I feel pretty inactive as an activist. Plan on getting out there in 2017 and probably lending my skills to the Georgia DNC.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Here's to everyone in this thread coincidentally finding themselves on the no-fly list in the next two years

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

any goon that wind up in a no fly list should get a gang tag imo

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
if your goal isn't to get on trump's enemies list you are a coward or an idiot

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
My wife won't let me go to the local dem party meeting, she says I'm too angry.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

StateOwned posted:

if your goal isn't to get on trump's enemies list you are a coward or an idiot

I'm already on his VP's list, does that count?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

you need some of dat juice before your commie comrades embrace u into the fold

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Lamebot posted:

Here's to everyone in this thread coincidentally finding themselves on the no-fly list in the next two years

Psssh, that would require Trump to be competent as well as corrupt.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Fighting for what's right is objectively not worth it. Focus your time and energy on making as much money as possible and using that money to buy as much crap as possible. This is the one true path to happiness. God bless.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To Keep The Fight Alive, I Think Having A Dedicated Place To Discuss Ideas And Strategies Is In Order.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Thalantos posted:

Do you have, like a link to a news articles about this? I'd love to be able to spread some good news

I did some Googling to see if there were any news articles about her but there are not. Not even an article celebrating her election and nothing about how the schools in my home town have been slowly improving. This is unfortunate, because it's really good news. I'm only being told about the great things she's done via friends I left behind in that community who can't stop gushing about all the good she's trying to do.

But anyway, I'm sorry for disappearing. I actually got sucked up in action and such immediately after making my post. In regards for how to determine who your local and county representatives are? I'm not really an expert on that, I'm afraid. My best advice is to see if your county has a web page. You should also be able to Google "who is my representative [your location here]" and get some results. I also found that, humorously, looking up your own town on Wikipedia will tell you who your mayor is and also link to your city's web page. (It also sometimes contains links to representatives.). For example, here's the Wikipedia article for Lima, Ohio: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lima,_Ohio it displays the city website where you can probably look up all the other information you need if you happen to live in Lima Ohio.

I wish I had more but seriously the effect of county and local representatives on your life is very significant. Please get involved in your party because the Democratic Party is a mess and it needs good young people. Vote. And if there is nobody worth voting for find somebody that is and vote for them.

Stuff I do know:
There's a Science March in the works but not much solidified right now: http://www.scientistsmarchonwashington.com/?m=1

There's a supposed Tax March and some kind of vague tax protest loosely being mustered on April 15th: http://taxmarch.org

I'm sorry I'm not more helpful. Thanks for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

crazy cloud, if you're reading this, mandate 0004 indicates that something like this should be stickied

I think that's the mandate, but if I'm wrong, there's four of them and this was definitely on the docket

• Locked thread