Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Once again there are AI Goons at the WRC and this time we promise to wear underpants

Pictured - what a WRC RC2 spends 11 months of the year doing

Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/ or here because unless I'm under one of the cars I'm supposed to be service park manager for, I
'll be making GBS threads on about being stuck in the corner of Parc Ferme as far away from the big names of the sport as possible.

Our driver - Kaptain Ballistik!

The car - a RC2 WRC Subaru SpecC 2007 that is as flat out as far gone as you can go and remain in RC2... except for the fact it's severly overbuilt and was last year 100 kgs heavier than any other car. We.... lost a few kgs this time around but this Suby is still a porky bastard.

The car to follow - Car 78

If you want to join the crew, just ask. I think we still have service park passes we can hand out. If you are up there, say hi and buy WRC Bad Boys poo poo off us. Or just moon KB as he drives by.

Annnyway.... back to fixing a loving recce car and packing all manner of spares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hello from the service lake. Current status -strapping the marquees to the car as lightning and hail flails down as ankle deep water flows through the site.

Wow, this is off to quite a start of the week

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Is there a good option for coverage of this online, possibly live?

Good luck!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Good luck!
You can set up alerts on news sites for keywords, like "Aussie", "Moons", "FIA Officials", that sort of thing.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
God speed young goons. That's a good looking car. Can someone make a Nurburgring style decal that is secretly dickbutt?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Good luck!

wrc.com for rally radio and there is streaming there too. I dont think the sream is free.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That photo diffuser reminds me of the outline of truck nuts.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
FIA scrutenering

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/rallyaustralia/videos/vb.196456627060805/1302317989807991/?type=2&theater

My Forester (one of them!!!) on the special stage recce :D

Annnnd..... much to our own shock, we were one of three - THREE! - cars to get NAFF'ed at scrutineeering (No Apparent Faults Found) first go (basically, that means we were more prepared than the big dollar WRC teams.....) and all we had to do was put the sumpguard back on the inlet pipe back on (had to remove it for turbo sealing) and a spanner check. 10:00pm out of the service park.

KB is stoked that he's managed to prep a car well enough to NAFF the strictest possible scrutineering. Previous years it didnt come close.

All I can say is that seeing WRC scrutineering up close is an eyeopener. You have apparel check, weighbridge (1580kgs) then four seperate bays that concentrate on certain areas of the car in turn. Oh and half a dozen scrutineers at each bay with a FIA delegate and a WRC specific overseer scrutineer that needs to sign off on the car before it moves to the next bay. 20 minutes in and out for us but a few cars were getting biiiig writeups while we were there. KB had to pull a few late ones due to checking the rulebook and making a lot of last minute changes like a sparkless engine kill switch - not something you need at national level but very much required at WRC. Even to the point he got express airfrieght a new firebomb brakcet as the old one didnt meet 2016 regs.

So yes, a lot of stress and work the week before, payoff is we're not in the service park while unfortuantly others are. I really wouldnt wish this kind of vehicle check on any competitors esp ones who havent done WRC and dont know what to expect. Even down things liek the roll cage inspection..... KB had the homologation for the cage in hand with all the specifications etc which made the cage and seat inspection fairly breezy.... for ARC stepping up to WRC it was a fairly rude shoc the questions and requests.

The big point tho that the scrutineers told me quietly was that it was clear KB had been listening over the last 4 years of various problems in WRC scrutiny and had paid attention to what the scrutineers really wanted - if they said he had a problem but they were going to pass the car anyway, he rectified, even down to the point where two years ago there was big problems witht he cage, every single point was now addressed and made to WRC standard. And thence, unlike the last four years, there's no 2am mad rush.

(Plus there is also the point that WRC officialdom are watching KB because they know he has a history of getting in trouble with officials. So far.... no fines)

Tomorrow is shakedown and if you are bout, the ceremonial start in the main street. Car 78. Come get a Rally Bad Boys sticker

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
SHEESH that's a lotta work! Grats to you guys!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'd write a multi page post on what I saw out in the forest today buuuuuuuut......

https://www.facebook.com/marcus.dunn.545/videos/vb.530344574/10154810413149575/?type=2&theater

Words can just no justice to the very hammer of Satan, the car of unspeakable evil, the car that even the Elder Gods tremble at when they hear it coming. The car rally crews whisper in reverence and horror. It, without a shadow of a doubt, lives up to the legend of Group B. If you ever get the chance, you MUST see this terrifying, angry, satanic car in action. I pity those who went on VIP rides today in it, especially the lady who the instant it rumbled, exploded and snarled into action, regretted every life choice she ever made. Sheer, abject terror was written so large, it could be seen outside from the worshippers of this, the most evil of all race cars.

For I have witnessed a Audi S1 and Valhalla isnt ready for this monster.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

In all seriousness, I have never seen a Group B car before - while I'm familiar with Group B of course, it's only now I truly get it. Holy mother of GOD that Audi was a mindfuck. Yes it DOES wheelstand when launched. Yes the sound is beyond description. Yes it is just sheer violence.

I want one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/photos/a.56295963722.71127.20858953722/10154150009393723/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/graham.adam/videos/vb.1279419176/10211059837993411/?type=2&theater

Yep, having some fun :D

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/posts/10154149917778723?notif_t=like&notif_id=1479363467774316

And why not have Bad Boyz endorsed by the World Champion?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'd write a multi page post on what I saw out in the forest today buuuuuuuut......

https://www.facebook.com/marcus.dunn.545/videos/vb.530344574/10154810413149575/?type=2&theater

Words can just no justice to the very hammer of Satan, the car of unspeakable evil, the car that even the Elder Gods tremble at when they hear it coming. The car rally crews whisper in reverence and horror. It, without a shadow of a doubt, lives up to the legend of Group B. If you ever get the chance, you MUST see this terrifying, angry, satanic car in action. I pity those who went on VIP rides today in it, especially the lady who the instant it rumbled, exploded and snarled into action, regretted every life choice she ever made. Sheer, abject terror was written so large, it could be seen outside from the worshippers of this, the most evil of all race cars.

For I have witnessed a Audi S1 and Valhalla isnt ready for this monster.

We're not worthy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hello from service 1.... two tyres fuel spanner check and a lot of water cause its stinking hot. All good otherwise

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rally spectacting status - hit on the dick with a fist sized rock spat from Haydon Paddon's car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

-_-

Final service of the day, literally 1 second remaining of service time and we got it back out there. Brake pads fell apart and the replacements were a nightmare.

Still, no time lost.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I don't really have anything to add to the thread, other than letting you know I'm reading and enjoying it.

I hope you do well. Sounds like you're having a hell of a good time!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Send sleep, need beer, suit smells like fetid man pants.

So all going well :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kaptainballistik posted:

Send sleep, need beer, suit smells like fetid man pants.

So all going well :)

Well thanks for the jinx.

Presently preparing to take the whole front end apart and somehow perform a miricle

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well thanks for the jinx.

Presently preparing to take the whole front end apart and somehow perform a miricle

uh-oh, what'd you guys hit?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

sharkytm posted:

uh-oh, what'd you guys hit?

A loving huge pothole, bent control arm and gearbox cross member, broken swaybar link and a few other things.

But lets just say the service crew lead by CI pulled the entire front end apart and fixed with 9 seconds to spare - no late time used for a huuuuuge fix :D

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Awesome.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Well, we finished!!!!

Give us a day or 2 to recover. 6 hours driving then the WRC end of season gala equals one VERY shady Kaptainballistik 🤕

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

And this is how you go over a Podium finish

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/videos/10154163210658723/

Second In Group N. And technically 21st Rallydriver in the world. I came 21st outright.

I'm happy with this logic..... 😂

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Congrats, Capn!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Awesome! It's a great feeling when you 1) Finish 2) Place so well out of more competitors than you can shake a stick at.

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

In all seriousness, I have never seen a Group B car before - while I'm familiar with Group B of course, it's only now I truly get it. Holy mother of GOD that Audi was a mindfuck. Yes it DOES wheelstand when launched. Yes the sound is beyond description. Yes it is just sheer violence.

I want one.

The second year I officialed, I was on the bend of a long dogleg stretch before a tight corner out near Bowraville, blowing the warning airhorn.
The S1 (I've met Mal, nice bloke) flew past me and came off throttle for the dogleg, the compressor surge near deafened me, but drat it sounded good.

I was in Coffs over the weekend, but was there for a friend's 30th so didn't get out to see anything :( (only saw 2 or 3 cars on the highway, too)
Very keen to get up next year and lend a hand, I know the area pretty well so I'm a decent gopher.

Congrats on the result!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

FEEL THE LACK OF POWER OF A GROUP N CAR!!

https://youtu.be/7SJmIHT9T_U?t=443

Pretty happy with the corner speed however!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kaptainballistik posted:

FEEL THE LACK OF POWER OF A GROUP N CAR!!

https://youtu.be/7SJmIHT9T_U?t=443

Pretty happy with the corner speed however!

Looks fun to me.

Oh my god there's a ute with a Dixie horn.

• Locked thread