Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Yeonik posted:

I think both of these were last year. Wife got a new camera that I was trying out, trying to be all artsy and crap (you'll see what I mean when I share some of my other hideous pictures.)

Lil cutie, I'd say he was the first find of last year. I don't pick them when they are this small - I'll let em grow and come back. I don't always get them (it's public land), but I'd rather see someone get a nice mushroom than me get a crappy one.

A little plate, probably a couple years ago on this one. Nothing spectacular here!

Thanks for sharing, god drat as though morels aren't proving hard enough to find the fact that the most common non poisonous one is the color of the soil is not going to help. Are those black morels / Morchella angusticeps? If you find more you should cut one in half and post a picture please. My shaggy parasol spot is still barren, nearby spots I've seen giant puffballs and shaggy mane at aren't producing anything yet either. The only fruiting bodies I've seen on my hikes are little half inch inedible bullshit on standing trees, forgot the name and even the family, but I suppose it's a good sign of temperature, humidity and things to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Skiing is over motherfuckers, let's go find some god drat mushrooms! :hellyeah:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I found some

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I saw some neat mushrooms today

Also some fungusy type things?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a Russula
Dunno, cute though
A bone
Squaw root
Squaw root -these guys always trying to play at being morels :P

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Epitope posted:

Maybe a Russula
Dunno, cute though
A bone
Squaw root
Squaw root -these guys always trying to play at being morels :P

Pretty sure this guy got them all, just by coincidence I was reading about squaw root the other day if I'm not mistaken that's the same plant we call 'bear corn' here. Seems like humans can't do poo poo with it beyond giving it nicknames unfortunately. Not a mushroom but it's cool. I wonder if bears pick it and grind it into a syrup and make literal Mtn Dew with it, maybe in a better world

Found some tiny see through mushrooms the other day, all sorts of little shits that I don't care about because they're not known reliable sources of food. But it's coming. We got Mayflowers in April here, now give me some mushrooms in May.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
These are some older pictures I took in I think 2015. There's a nice park near where I live and it was nice to walk through the woods with my camera, and finding neat mushrooms was always fun. No idea what any of these are though.

These are the only two of this type of mushroom I ever saw, and I thought that picture turned out nicely.

These popped up all over the place for a few months.

No idea what was going on here, but the thing was huge. That downed tree that its growing up was probably about 2.5-3ft in diameter.

All sorts of things going on here. And again, no idea.

And then this weird waxy lookin orange thing?

Basically all of last year I was working night shifts so I didn't have time to go out into the woods to look for neato mushrooms, but I managed to switch back to days recently so I'm looking forward to getting out and finding some more.

Circle Nine fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 1, 2017

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Some fungi from a recent critterquest expedition:

Inky caps and dead man's fingers:

Dryad's Saddle, I think:

Violet toothed polypore:

Who loving knows:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Found a bunch of morels in the last couple days! :hellyeah:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Circle Nine posted:

These are some older pictures I took in I think 2015. There's a nice park near where I live and it was nice to walk through the woods with my camera, and finding neat mushrooms was always fun. No idea what any of these are though.

These are the only two of this type of mushroom I ever saw, and I thought that picture turned out nicely.

These popped up all over the place for a few months.

The first one I'm going to look up when I am back later because I know I've seen it before and I'm tempted to say it's a russula but I feel like it's not, the second might be Ganoderma applanatum / artists conk, which you can draw on the bottom because it semi-permanently bruises heavily when touched, some people even go beyond the finger notes like the one Free Market Mambo posted and actually use a makeshift bruising tool to do crazy art on them, unless it's something else which it could be because I've failed you

the yeti posted:

Inky caps and dead man's fingers:

Dryad's Saddle, I think:

Awesome finds, all in one day? I'm pretty sure inky caps are a common nickname for Coprinus comatus, which we call shaggy mane here. I found some last year and waited a day for them to peak, gone before I came back. Looks like you found them in the stage where they are useless as food but very good as ink, though I have yet to try writing with it.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 12, 2017

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Loads of neat stuff growing in the woods this weekend

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Victoria, Australia. Growing on the side of a heavily used road so I probably wont try them out anyway, just wondering if they're edible. About 1.5 inches across.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Victoria, Australia. Growing on the side of a heavily used road so I probably wont try them out anyway, just wondering if they're edible. About 1.5 inches across.

extra stout posted:

When taking pictures of mushrooms to identify and possibly consume, this might be the most important angle that exists. Notice the "bulb" (volva) is included, the stem, the ring from where the bulb grew into a large cap but left it's ring, and an upshot of the bottom of the cap are all visible. Some mushrooms have gills underneath, some have pores. And of course many variations lead to many other words, but you'll need to look at these to not die. (edit) I am a huge idiot and half the volva is actually somewhat obscured by pine needles and even off camera, so that picture is actually a third of an inch bad.

Although I just assume if it's in Australia, it'll probably murder you or make all your organs swell up or give you untreatable chronic pain for the rest of your life

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay but does it taste any good? (I'll try get shots of an uprooted one)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

...just wondering if they're edible.

I'm certainly no expert, but given that the first line on https://fungimap.org.au is the rather understated "the edibility most Australian species of fungi is untested", I'd say no.

Looks like an agaric of some kind, so a fair chance of it dissolving your liver. Does it smell of disinfectant and stain yellow when bruised? A spore print can help identification - press the gills into a sheet of white paper and post a pic.

Again, please don't eat it!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Personally anything with gills I don't trust myself to identify, with a couple exceptions where they're very distinct (chanterelles, shaggy mane). Morels, boletes, puffballs, chicken of the woods, these guys are much more straight forward.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no my liver. (not going to eat it, I couldnt get anywhere near an ID on it, and it was growing by a main road so probably loaded with heavy metals)

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Is this enough to identify by any chance? These were growing in my lawn last year so I can't get a better picture. They ended up shriveling up in a couple of days, in a very strange way.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Is this enough to identify by any chance? These were growing in my lawn last year so I can't get a better picture. They ended up shriveling up in a couple of days, in a very strange way.

Sort of impossible to guarantee from one picture but since you mentioned the rapid shriveling, the cap is upturned and seems black and inky, it's possible they were shaggy mane / inky caps that others have posted. Really interesting mushroom because they're common yet considered rare, easy to identify when edible but then rapidly look like a hundred other mushrooms. I've only found them three times and never got to eat any, but essentially they have a long pill shaped cap that within maybe 30-40 hours splits and comes up, doesn't stay flat, and curls while the cap turns to an ink that some people still use to write with.

So (if they're shaggy manes) they're considered delicious but you almost always find them while they're already half turned to mush. There is a lookalike species that I don't think is dangerously poison so much as just less good and less studied if I recall.

Sorry for not replying to all the posts, again I'm no expert and I don't know poo poo about Australia, so it's nice to let other people take guesses and reply too.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm no mushroom connoisseur, but I take photos of them on occasion.

This one popped up in a lawn at a place I was staying in Belize. I planned to get the same photo later when it opened but it shriveled up within a day.

Some tiny ones on Jasper National Park.

Wolf's Milk Slime.

Scaly Tooth.

Not sure.

Shelf fungi in Borneo.

Also seen in Borneo.

Back in Canada again.

Shaggy Mane.

Shaggy Mane.

Morel growing sideways.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
Hey there's some cool pics in here, thanks guys!

Had a pretty lovely morel season, mostly because I was working my dick off and wasn't able to get into the woods. I made it out this weekend and found a handful of morels, nothing serious.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Picnic Princess posted:

Also seen in Borneo.

It's crazy to imagine eating a stinkhorn, but thanks for posting what I think is the most edible and photogenic stinkhorn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus_indusiatus

It does however not fit with my thread title because the veil is incredible and distracts from the cock shape hidden underneath.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ookuwagata posted:

What I do is generally separate the pores from the cap, (as usually the pores tend to be damaged from banana slug feeding more often than not) and also peel off the pellicle, the brown skin on top, and then slice and sautee in a bit of butter or really good olive oil with a small amount of shallots and garlic. If there's a lot, after briefly sauteeing them, I freeze them.

The stems are generally tough, so what I do is I make a stock with them to flavor sauces, gravies or make soup with. I pour the cool stock into an ice cube tray sometimes, freeze, and then shrink wrap the cubes to add a bit of flavor to various things.

Finally might have found my first porcini (Boletus edulis), didn't bother posting it or uploading the pictures for a while because as you can see: This fucker was not pretty or edible, but I think it's the species. Stem is especially huge and bulbous but everything seems to match, only distorted by age and bugs

I followed your advice just to learn more about it, and like most mushrooms it seems pretty easy to prepare. Just gotta find another one nearby that hasn't been eaten by bugs for two weeks.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kinda wonder if this is Cordyceps. It was dark and I was exhausted so I didn't poke around to see if there was an insect in there somewhere.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't tell you but it looks really creepy and cool

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Crushed peanuts make any ice cream cone delicious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:haw: :hf: :getin:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chicken of the woods? Nice

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Synthbuttrange posted:

Chicken of the woods? Nice

Yup! Found some chanterelles too but that was the highlight of the outing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm extremely down with this thread.

• Locked thread