Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Problem description: I accidentally got snagged on my headphone cables and since then, my Headphone Jack will not recognize anything plugged into it. It appears one of the connecting prongs within the jack is stuck open, so it does not close around the plug. I can pick up very faint static if I press the plug into either side, but not enough connection for Realtek HD Audio Manager to recognize the device.

Attempted fixes: I have tried using a Q-tip to nudge the connector prongs back into position, but has not worked. Microphone Jack will accept headphones, but sound quality is inferior.

Recent changes: No

Operating system: Windows 10 Home Edition 64 Bit

System specs: Desktop Case is a Roswell Tyrfing ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case

I have Googled and read the FAQ: No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Just use the rear audio jack. You can get like a 1m extension cord and attach it to the front of your case if you want.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Alereon posted:

Just use the rear audio jack. You can get like a 1m extension cord and attach it to the front of your case if you want.

The rear speaker jack? I tried it and the audio balance was completely out of whack. I'll try it again though, mess around with the options

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Have you tested the headphones in another device to make sure they weren't damaged?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Alereon posted:

Have you tested the headphones in another device to make sure they weren't damaged?

Yes. They run off of my laptop andmy phone just fine. I've also tried a second pair of also functioning headphones and they do the same. I've narrowed the problem down to the jack itself.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Oh yeah it makes sense the front jack was busted, it is just weird you're getting audio balance issues from the rear port, as that is the one directly connected to the audio controller. That made me think the plug or cable on your headphones may also have been hosed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Alereon posted:

Oh yeah it makes sense the front jack was busted, it is just weird you're getting audio balance issues from the rear port, as that is the one directly connected to the audio controller. That made me think the plug or cable on your headphones may also have been hosed.

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but when I went into the Audio manager, it had a whole bunch of bizarre settings in place rather than being standard. Stuff like environment being set to bathroom, and enhancements set to Treble. Like a sharp piercing noise that echoes in your ear. I'm tweaking around with the settings but nothing is quite matching my headphone port, and since I can't get anything in the front jack to recognize, I can't go in and see what my settings were so I can mimic them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Remove the audio drivers and install the latest version from the manufacturer (probably Realtek) website. There could also be a "reset to defaults" option somewhere.

• Locked thread