Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Monday Bandele posted:

Kovalev really shouldn't have let Ward settle into a rhythm after the knockdown.

Thought he'd won the fight so much he lost it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Art Core...velay
Jun 16, 2013
really good fight. rematch plz.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jack B Nimble posted:

No way in hell they'll do a rematch in Russia, but I do hope it's not in the US. Maybe UK.

They'd score it for Hosea Burton.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lol at people calling robbery after a close fight.

this is why no one listens when actual robberies happen

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

thehappyprince posted:

Exactly. That fight was so close that almost any scorecards could have been read and I would have shrugged and accepted them.

Book rounds 13-24. Or even better, rounds 13-27 :getin:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

thehappyprince posted:

Seriously. I wanted Kovalev to win more than most but it's just stupid to call this a robbery especially when this evening had examples of much worse.

It just is what it is and lets do it again in 5-6 months.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

thehappyprince posted:

To be fair, less people would call robbery if it didn't happen all the time

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I had it as a draw but so many of those rounds were close. Hotly contested fight and a lotta fun

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ward pretty much got by on a jab and body shots. great performance whatever you scored it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

I had it as a draw but so many of those rounds were close. Hotly contested fight and a lotta fun

Is it actually possible to score a 12-round fight as a draw when it has a knockdown?

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

This is probably why I'm a bad judge of boxing but while I thought Ward did an excellent job getting back into the fight and throwing Kovalev off his rhythm I just don't think he did enough to win. Definitely won the middle rounds but I though Kovalev came back well and won the 10th and 12th. Oh well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

david carmichael posted:

There was a knockdown so a draw was not possible. I was leaning 6-6 rounds wise, with kd that would mean a job win, but it was real, real close.

I don't think the people complaining are wrong, over the whole fight it seemed like Kovalev did better, but rbr this was very tight. Tough to score.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

thehappyprince posted:

the co main was a legit robbery

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Yeah I thought Kovalev took the 12th easily. Was surprised that all three gave it to Ward

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I think Ward would beat him more decisively in a rematch. He was initially shook by Kovalev's power but once he got the judge of distance it was all over.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Found myself agreeing with Kellerman quite a bit, I think Ward pretty much got all the rounds you could give to him. Pretty sure in a rematch that wouldn't happen again, also think Kovalev would have the easier time adjusting.

Edit - I think the power that shook Ward still is there early on in a rematch. The question would be how would Ward break Kovalev down again, as a lot of the 2nd half of the fight was laid out by really good body work. If Kovalev can take some of that away + has the power to cause Ward problems while he is fresh = An easier rematch for Kovalev imo.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Is it actually possible to score a 12-round fight as a draw when it has a knockdown?

If you score 10-10s yes

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I was rooting for ward to win and I think it was a robbery.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
that wasn't a robbery but it does feel a bit suspicious that the judges all ended up with the same score in a fight with so many close rounds, will be interesting to see the cards

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the only loser is adonis stevenson who has to wait on fighting the winner of the rematch and that's good imo

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Great fight, needs a rematch. Definitely lived up to the hype.

My score was the same as the judges, I gave Ward rounds 4-10 and Kovalev everything else. Once Andre got warmed up his defense was on point, great movement and smart countering helped him avoid most of what Kovalev was sending him. Very close rounds though, very tough to score.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

vainman posted:

Yeah I thought Kovalev took the 12th easily. Was surprised that all three gave it to Ward
Lampley was wrong about that:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TBH im not even sure who I'd pick in the rematch

Lid posted:

the co main was a legit robbery

I thought the chilemba fight was supposed to be the co-main, and at least that fight was better while it lasted.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

jediguy posted:

This is probably why I'm a bad judge of boxing but while I thought Ward did an excellent job getting back into the fight and throwing Kovalev off his rhythm I just don't think he did enough to win. Definitely won the middle rounds but I though Kovalev came back well and won the 10th and 12th. Oh well.

I think Ward figured him out and had SK timed up by the end, but I also had a lot of Ward's action coming on punches in the clinch and a lot of holding initiated, and I am not a huge fan of that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think this was a great fight, but a controversial decision isn't too great for casual fans tuning in.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I think Ward figured him out and had SK timed up by the end, but I also had a lot of Ward's action coming on punches in the clinch and a lot of holding initiated, and I am not a huge fan of that.

That's his game, he uses his Rocky Marciano esque tiny baby t rex arms to hit really good body shots at distances that are not physically possible for a person with normal anatomy.

For what it's worth I thought Ward controlled the fight from the 6th on and I would have called it a draw, or maybe given it to Kovalev if we're scoring every round fairly and not pretending Ward didn't lose one late round as a bonus for controlling the fight as it unfolded.

Andre Ward is so technically good and gets in so many sneaky punches, but he was obviously rusty, Kovalev was hitting him hard and with Choclatito accuracy early on, and all the body punches took that fine control away. Ward didn't have as much time for his plan as he thought. I think ward would have won, honestly and clearly won, if it was a 15 round fight.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

jediguy posted:

I subscribe to the idea that you have to take the king's crown, that you should win convincingly when the title is on the line. For that reason alone I'd personally prefer the fight went to Kovalev but I know not everyone thinks this way and I don't have any problem with the decision. Though I sure do hope someone shook Kovalev by the shoulders and said "if you don't knock him out or knock him down at least twice they'll rob you". We don't know how bad the cards could have been since the fight did end up being close.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just caught the replay of this on sky this morning, and it was great. A rematch is welcome.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I subscribe to the idea that you have to take the king's crown, that you should win convincingly when the title is on the line.

Objectively wrong. It could have been a slight jab in round 1 that made the difference, if it's enough to get the nod in any single round, it's enough to win.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
very close. kovalev won lol

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Officer Sandvich posted:

very close. kovalev won lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

I subscribe to the idea that you have to take the king's crown, that you should win convincingly when the title is on the line. For that reason alone I'd personally prefer the fight went to Kovalev but I know not everyone thinks this way and I don't have any problem with the decision. Though I sure do hope someone shook Kovalev by the shoulders and said "if you don't knock him out or knock him down at least twice they'll rob you". We don't know how bad the cards could have been since the fight did end up being close.

That line of thinking is one of the main sources of robbery. A fighter who beats the champ by even one round, even if in that one decisive round it was only by one punch, should become the champ, because the champ retains on the draw. To have judges going "well he needs to clearly beat the champ to be the champ" means that close rounds end up going to fighters who lost them, and then we get bad scorecards.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

if a team only beats the football league leaders 1-0 it should recorded as 0-0 imo

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I hear you, and I can see now how stupid that sounds, and really maybe I meant it more that I prefer stronger wins when the lineal championship changes.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing what narrative developers around Ward's win - a story in which , essentially, Ward gets dropped early from Kovalev's immense power but then goes on to dig deep and produce a brilliant win, is going to play to the idea of Ward as the brilliant tactician vs Kovalev being Ivan Drago come to life like in the old "take on me" music video.

The rematch will be interesting because I think Kovalev has more room for improvement; in cutting the ring off and making angles while punching.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

a good thing to do would be to actually promote the rematch too. just my 2 cents.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
People continue not giving a gently caress about Andre Ward and Kovalev loses his invincible aura

At least we got a good fight out of it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There are some scoring apps online that collect a bunch of fans' scorecards, not super scientific or anything, but here were the results with 187 cards:

As you can see, this partly seems to hinge on rounds 3 and 10 for those cards. I'm a little surprised some of these rounds are so decisively Ward's though, I wonder how many people scored after the fight was over.

thehappyprince posted:

a good thing to do would be to actually promote the rematch too. just my 2 cents.

Hopefully it helps that the actual fight was great stuff. They really both have things they can learn for the rematch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm going to close this thread now. Probably some discussion about this fight will go on until the rematch.

Here's the thread for the rest of boxing stuff, join us over there for fight schedules and general chat. We may or may not make a thread for next week's bout between Lomachenko and Walters, which imo is a bit a of a sleeper candidate for Fight Of The Year.

• Locked thread