Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Problem description:
My computer occasionally freezes up and stops responding to any input other than a hard reboot. The frequency seems to vary - sometimes once a day, sometimes not at all for weeks. It has been doing this for quite some time, somewhere between 3 and 4 years. I can't remember exactly when the problem started, but I think it was shortly (but not immediately? otherwise I'd have probably returned it) after upgrading my video card from whatever I had at the time to a Radeon HD 7900 Series. It almost exclusively happens when gaming, but not necessarily while playing the most graphically intensive games. For example, it seems to happen a lot when playing Hearthstone (a collectible card game with some fancy animations but nothing intensive) but I don't think it's happened at all while playing Dishonored 2 and only rarely when I was playing Witcher 3 (both much more graphically demanding). Almost never while just browsing in Chrome, although it has happened once or twice. Sounds like a problem with the video card or drivers right? Well I recently upgraded the Radeon to a Geforce GTX 1070 and it's become considerably more frequent compared to the few months before upgrading so that would seem to rule out a problem with the Radeon specifically. Maybe something to do with the video card slot in the motherboard, or perhaps the power supply? I have no idea.

Attempted fixes:

As stated, changing video card didn't help. Google suggested unplugging USB peripherals but that doesn't seem to help, although it's really hard to diagnose given the relative infrequency of the lockups. And some of those I can't really use my computer without, eg. mouse and keyboard. 99% sure I've experienced the lockups with all of the keyboards and mice I've been through in that period though, so if it is related to peripherals, it doesn't seem to be just one in particular.

Recent changes:

Covered above.

Operating system:

Windows 7 Home Premium

System specs:

MoBo: ASUSTek P8Z77-V LX
CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
PSU: Termaltake Litepower 700 ATX 12V 2.3 Model: LP-700AL2NH. The label has a table of other info I can post if necessary.
HD: WDC WD10EZRX-00A8LB0 ATA Device (931 GB)
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070

New Zealand, although most of the current components (current GPU excepted) were purchased in Australia.

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Google: Yes.
FAQ: I don't see one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd suggest checking the hard drive with Crystal Disk Info, running memtest, and checking if you have the most recent BIOS for the motherboard.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions. Windows Memory Diagnostic didn't find any errors, is that reliable or should I download Memtest instead? I'm not sure what I should be doing with Crystal Disk Info. I fired it up and it says health is good and there's a bunch of stats next to an anime. Do I need to do anything else? Incidentally I haven't had a lockup since running it (although it hasn't been long enough to say for sure if they've actually stopped), has it done something already?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info window, but if the drive was obviously failing it would show "Caution" or "Bad" for the Health Status. Do run Memtest86 as well, it is more thorough than the Windows memory diagnostic.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Okay I ran Memtest86 and it didn't find anything. Here's my Crystal Disk Info window:

Haven't tried updating BIOS yet since it apparently comes with a small risk of bricking my mobo if there's a power outage or something so I've left that til last. If you guys can't glean anything from the CDI screenshot I'll try that next.

e: Also I have had several lockups since that last post so yeah, not fixed yet

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 1, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That drive has no logged errors. My money is on the power supply, as that was one of Thermaltake's lower quality models and it's getting pretty old, and you have a high-end videocard.

It amuses me how everyone always downloads the anime-skinned version of Crystal Disk Info

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Alereon posted:

That drive has no logged errors. My money is on the power supply, as that was one of Thermaltake's lower quality models and it's getting pretty old, and you have a high-end videocard.

Okay maybe time to replace it then. Thanks for the help. Is installing a power supply something I can do at home with a screwdriver and little to no technical knowledge? I installed my video cards okay but if there's more to it should I take it into a shop?

quote:

It amuses me how everyone always downloads the anime-skinned version of Crystal Disk Info

I just downloaded from the first hit on google, I never asked for this!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Wafflecopper posted:

Okay maybe time to replace it then. Thanks for the help. Is installing a power supply something I can do at home with a screwdriver and little to no technical knowledge? I installed my video cards okay but if there's more to it should I take it into a shop?
Yeah it's pretty easy, unplug all the power cables from your devices, unscrew the power supply and slide it out, slide the new one in and screw it in, connect the new power cables to your devices. While not the case for your old power supply, for models with modular cables (that plug into the power supply as well as the devices, rather than being fixed to the power supply) you cannot re-use the modular cables between different power supplies. Even if the connectors fit the pinout may be different, potentially frying your equipment.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Also, don't forget that your mobo may use more than one power cable from the PSU (and there could be some odd 6-pin/8-pin/"cable comes in 2 parts" stuff going on, but I didn't check your mobo to see what it has, sorry). You'd be pulling your hair out for hours if you miss that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Okay, bought and installed a new power supply. It took me two attempts to get the HD connected right but no far no sparks, explosions, or suspicious burning smells. Also no more lockups so far. Again it's too early to be 100% certain, but I've played a fair bit more Hearthstone than I usually can without getting one, so I'm reasonably sure that's fixed it. Thanks again to everyone who posted, you've done me and my blood pressure a big favour.

• Locked thread