Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobophobe
Nov 14, 2004

That rug really tied the room together.
Alright, myself and a friend are gonna head to the Yukon Territory in December. Our plan revolves around living in a quincy, dropping acid and staring at the northern lights. Anyone have advice for other things to see and do while we are up there, necessary supplies, general information, etc? We are Canadians, so the cold does not scare us, we welcome and embrace it.

Hobophobe fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
hey there,

i'm from/live in yukon territory. where in yukon are you planning to go and what do you like to do (winter activities wise) and then maybe i can give some suggestions.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
-Something to lay on for extended sky gazing
-Hot chocolate whiskey

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Also I have a related question. If it's 40 below and there's no plug in, will the car still start?

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
at that temperature, in my experience, most cars are gonna struggle to start if you don't have a block heater plugged in. that's why cars up here usually have them and people plug them in. though those kind of temperatures have been rarer lately, global warming ftw.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Epitope posted:

-Hot chocolate whiskey

Remember, this is Trudeau's Canada we're talking about. It's 2016 and it's time for drink choices to reflect the diversity of Canada itself. So I'd go with butterscotch schnapps.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Why do you spell quinzhee weird?

Hobophobe
Nov 14, 2004

b0ner of doom posted:

hey there,

i'm from/live in yukon territory. where in yukon are you planning to go and what do you like to do (winter activities wise) and then maybe i can give some suggestions.

Only a rough travel itinerary so far, but we're gonna start out in Prince George and drive NW on highways 16 and 37. We have only one stop planned enroute, in Dease Lake. Then we continue north into the YT, Whitehorse, whatever is cool in between and eventually we hope to make it all the way up to Dawson City. At some point, either on the way to or from, we will try to make the trip to Atlin BC as well.

We'll probably do new years eve in Whitehorse, but Classified's new album kinda sucked so whatever.

How much does a pack of Canadian Classics go for up there?

Epitope posted:

-Hot chocolate whiskey

We've got winter foamies, sleeping bags and a queen-size down blanket. I will stock up on whiskey, schnapps ain't gonna cut it. Hot chocolate is just a given.

Epitope posted:

Also I have a related question. If it's 40 below and there's no plug in, will the car still start?

Our vehicle is tried-and-tested in PG winters, never had a problem. But we will of course take necessary precautions to avoid freezing to death.

Picnic Princess posted:

Why do you spell quinzhee weird?

Very good question. That's the only way I've ever seen it spelled, I had no idea.

Hobophobe fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 29, 2016

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

quote:

Only a rough travel itinerary so far, but we're gonna start out in Prince George and drive NW on highways 16 and 37. We have only one stop planned enroute, in Dease Lake. Then we continue north into the YT, Whitehorse, whatever is cool in between and eventually we hope to make it all the way up to Dawson City. At some point, either on the way to or from, we will try to make the trip to Atlin BC as well.

We'll probably do new years eve in Whitehorse, but Classified's new album kinda sucked so whatever.

If you're gonna travel 37 just keep an eye on weather forecasts. That highway can get a lot of snow and it sees far less traffic during the winter, so plowing doesn't always happen right away. don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but that may be a consideration. Also watch your fuel/timing, as the gas stations beyond the one in Dease Lake aren't usually open late during the winter. One thing I would recommend doing is taking the Alaska Highway back and stopping in at Liard Hotsprings if you've never been before - it's really cool in the winter.

From the highyway 37/Alaska Highway junction to Whitehorse there really isn't much along the way. Teslin is a neat little town but the cool museum they have there is closed in the winter.

I would definitely recommend checking out Atlin though it will be entirely dead at this time of year for the most part, though the scenery is worth it. And honestly if you have a passport Haines and Skagway aren't far away and are cool places to visit. The drive along the Haines Highway/Klondike Highway is almost worth the trip alone for the scenery. If you go out to Haines Junction you might want to check out Kathleen Lake in Kluane; very beautiful.

Whitehorse is fairly sizeable town so just check out some of the stuff in town as you see fit. Do check out Miles Canyon and some of the surrounding trails - I recommend the Fish Lake trail (about 7km) which is about 15k down fish lake road near town. It takes you to some really nice alpine scenery.

Dawson is a cool place to spend some time. Go out to see the old dredges - also if you're near Dawson you can drive about an hour up the Dempster to Tombstone Territorial Park. Absolutely phenomenal scenery and you can basically hike anywhere as it's mostly all tundra, you'd just need proper gear and the road might be dicey as it's gravel.

I'm not sure if you're serious about sleeping in a snowfort but I wouldn't personally lol. Keep in mind I hear winters down in PG these days are pretty bitchmade - expect more pervasive cold especially if you're going into the interior around Dawson. Climate change is gradually loving things up in the north, but I'd still recommend being near a source to plug your vehicle in.

quote:

How much does a pack of Canadian Classics go for up there?

No clue since I haven't smoked since I was a teenager, though iirc they're actually a bit cheaper than BC due to tax poo poo or w/e

Hobophobe
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks so much for all the info b0nerman! Very helpful.

b0ner of doom posted:

I'm not sure if you're serious about sleeping in a snowfort but I wouldn't personally lol.

Yeah, it sounds a little crazy but that's the whole point. It's an adventure!

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
np. have fun up here and don't freeze to death. make sure you have a good source of firewood if you're gonna be staying outside!

also it's supposed to be dropping into the -30s next week where i am (watson lake area), so this might be a cold month.

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

Do the hot springs in Whitehorse. Northern lights are cool, just get a little outside town.

Also don't sleep in a snowfort, that way lies misery.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tis a sacred misery. The euphoric suffering that comes from perilous physical endeavors.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Suffering through that misery takes my mind off the nihilistic suffering I have to go through every waking moment.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
hey op are you still alive after this trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like pleasure spiked with pain and hiking is my aeroplane
It's my aeroplane

• Locked thread