Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If you like knob jokes then you'll probably enjoy David Wong's new book, "What the Hell Did I Just Read?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Vogler posted:

Louis-Ferdinand Céline, one of the few originals. There's hardly any subversive litterature that's not been inspired by him.

Journey to the End of the Night is a true Picarescque, just a very bitter and black one.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

If you like knob jokes then you'll probably enjoy David Wong's new book, "What the Hell Did I Just Read?"

The frequency and quality of his knob jokes has been on a steady decline since the original. And he's made Dave less of a sociopath so he can have a Very Serious Conversation about depression in a book featuring an exploding dildo cannon.

His book and chapter titles are loving on point at least.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
david wong wasn't funny when i was 14 and he has not aged well since then

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

David Wrong

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

chernobyl kinsman posted:

david wong wasn't funny when i was 14 and he has not aged well since then

ive thought about it some more and the fact that he's still apparently doing the same schtick over a decade later is actively depressing me

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I have extremely strong opinions concerning David Wong.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CestMoi posted:

I have extremely strong opinions concerning David Wong.

I used to pitch articles to Cracked and he greenlit one of my ideas and fast tracked it to publication, so he’s alright.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
Youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne might be the funniest book I've ever read. It's over the top but genuinely a classic.

"What's Important Is Feeling" is a great and often pretty funny collection of short stories by Adam Wilson.

Another pretty good collection is Flings by Justin Taylor.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I find Thomas Bernhard really funny, one of the few authors who makes me laugh out loud, when I'm not finding him to be crushingly bleak

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The Road to Gandalfo, wherein five-star General and World War II hero Mackenzie “Mad Man Mac the Hawk” Hawkins is kicked out of the army for peeing on an important monument in China, and thereafter enlists the unwilling help of army lawyer Sam Devereaux in a plot to kidnap the Pope as part of a blackmail scheme to get himself back into the army. It turns out the Pope needed a vacation, anyway, but, unfortunately, the Pope’s mediocre opera singer lookalike cousin turns out to be poor interim pontiff.

The Road to Omaha, wherein Mackenzie “Mad Man Mac the Hawk” Hawkins, now aka Chief Thunderhead, once again enlists the unwilling Sam Devereaux in his machinations. This time, he intends to enforce a long-forgotten, and deeply buried, treaty with the tribe he is now chief of, which would return a huge chunk of land, including the land housing the Strategic Air Command, to the tribe. A strong supporting character nod to the wobbly eyeball of Secretary of State Warren Pease.

The Road to Omaha is funnier.

Do not read if you are the type of person who is going to indignantly ask, “Why does Sunrise Jennifer Redwing have to be beautiful? Isn’t it enough that she’s a brilliant lawyer,” or, “Why do Desi Arnaz I and Desi Arnaz II speak with thick, stereotypical Cuban accents?” Otherwise, read.

Both by Robert Ludlum, believe it or not.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I believe it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The Road to Gandalfo, wherein five-star General and World War II hero Mackenzie “Mad Man Mac the Hawk” Hawkins is kicked out of the army for peeing on an important monument in China, and thereafter enlists the unwilling help of army lawyer Sam Devereaux in a plot to kidnap the Pope as part of a blackmail scheme to get himself back into the army. It turns out the Pope needed a vacation, anyway, but, unfortunately, the Pope’s mediocre opera singer lookalike cousin turns out to be poor interim pontiff.

The Road to Omaha, wherein Mackenzie “Mad Man Mac the Hawk” Hawkins, now aka Chief Thunderhead, once again enlists the unwilling Sam Devereaux in his machinations. This time, he intends to enforce a long-forgotten, and deeply buried, treaty with the tribe he is now chief of, which would return a huge chunk of land, including the land housing the Strategic Air Command, to the tribe. A strong supporting character nod to the wobbly eyeball of Secretary of State Warren Pease.

The Road to Omaha is funnier.

Do not read if you are the type of person who is going to indignantly ask, “Why does Sunrise Jennifer Redwing have to be beautiful? Isn’t it enough that she’s a brilliant lawyer,” or, “Why do Desi Arnaz I and Desi Arnaz II speak with thick, stereotypical Cuban accents?” Otherwise, read.

Both by Robert Ludlum, believe it or not.

For some reason this reminded me of

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Santa-Vittoria-Novel-ebook/dp/B00EGJE41C

Great little post-ww2 comedy about an Italian town trying to outfox nazis and save their wine harvest; sortof the same genre as Hogan's Heroes.

quote:

The book was on the New York Times bestseller list for over 50 weeks, spending 18 of them at the top of the list,[2] and became an international bestseller. Set in an Italian hill-town and telling the story of local resistance to the Nazis during World War II, the novel was adapted into a Golden Globe winning film of the same name in 1969.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Crichton_(novelist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Tom Jones Owns Bones. Some parts aren't necessarily funny, but they're all entertaining, and then the funny parts are real funny.

• Locked thread