Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
the film "the arrival" was p cool to see in 1996 as a lad

lots of weird poo poo and backwards walking aliens

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

pap schmear posted:

speculating: when humans learn the aliens' language, the language shapes the brain so the humans can experience non-linear time (cf. Sapir-Whorf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_relativity). If so, what amazing ability would the aliens gain in return from learning the human language? The power of ....?

Algebra?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

pap schmear posted:

speculating: when humans learn the aliens' language, the language shapes the brain so the humans can experience non-linear time (cf. Sapir-Whorf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_relativity). If so, what amazing ability would the aliens gain in return from learning the human language? The power of ....?

Knowing the English language grants you the ability to have really awful opinions and the inability to shut the gently caress up about them.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jenner posted:

Knowing the English language grants you the ability to have really awful opinions and the inability to shut the gently caress up about them.

I fully expect that once aliens get to know our languages they will say something along the lines of "this is you're dominant language?"

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

banned from Starbucks posted:

This movie was dumb as hell. You have the power to see the future and all you can do with that is not shut up about your dead kid.

Sorry about your incorrect opinions dude.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I loved Arrival, but I have some questions about it.

If the Heptapods have non-linear memories, wouldn't they already know the renegade soldiers would plant bomb on their ship? Wouldn't Abbott know he was going to die? Why didn't they stop it?

Also, I presume non-linear memories only account for the lifetime of the individual that has them, yet the the Heptapods have foresight into events that won't happen for 3000 years. Do they just live that long?

Yes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ScrubLeague posted:

I liked both Arrival and Interstellar quite a bit even if their cold hard science fiction exteriors were betrayed by the Actually It's About Feelings bits.

I liked Arrival better in that respect. Interstellar's course-change felt abrupt and unearned, while in Arrival the two complimented each other. Arrival never pretended to *not* be a Feelings-based sci-fi movie.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

If the Heptapods have non-linear memories, wouldn't they already know the renegade soldiers would plant bomb on their ship? Wouldn't Abbott know he was going to die? Why didn't they stop it?

The way I explained it to my mom, which may make sense (I don't know you as well as I know her), was to use the description of their language as an example. When you're "writing a sentence starting from both ends" it isn't about writing one word in response to the previous one, that's simply where the word needs to go. The "circle" of their encounter with Earth had to include Abbot's death, just as the circle of Hannah's life had to include her death to be complete.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bruceski posted:

The way I explained it to my mom, which may make sense (I don't know you as well as I know her), was to use the description of their language as an example. When you're "writing a sentence starting from both ends" it isn't about writing one word in response to the previous one, that's simply where the word needs to go. The "circle" of their encounter with Earth had to include Abbot's death, just as the circle of Hannah's life had to include her death to be complete.

Nice.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nobody asked for a less visually impressive Interstellar, Villeneuve. Better cast, though.

ahahahahahahahahhahaahahaha

hahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Did I make a pun somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I just thought it was a cool way to put it.

• Locked thread