Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Man, I could be sitting on a mountain of $80+ SNES games if I had a little bit of foresight in the late '90s. At least I grabbed Super Mario RPG and R-Type 3 (which goes for like $170 on ebay now, believe it or not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
We had a blockbuster, but we always went to our grocery store which had a movie/video game rental section (Iggle Video is what it was called).

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

I used to go to Blockbuster and hollywood video as a kid to rent movies to take home and watch. That's about it for all my memories of the place, no funny or crazy stuff happened.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Recently I was super blazed and google mapsing around my home town and the place where I used to rent tapes is apparently still somehow open. According to their ancient looking but recently updated website you can still rent a new release on Mondays for one American dollar and fifty American cents, which I think is the same deal they were running fifteen years ago. I don't understand how they're able to do this, but the combination hardware and liquor store across the street is apparently also going strong too, while the walmart right down the road somehow closed. It's still the nineties in southern Oregon and the cool people won, I guess.

I gotta say I kind of miss renting tapes. The light social pressure of having a clerk in the room would make me pick a thing to watch way faster, which is a lot nicer than opening up netflix and hulu and amazon and scrolling through all three selections for the length of half a movie. I liked being able to read the back of the box and get a little elevator pitch, and the fact that I watched Troll 2 the other week doesn't have any impact on the selection presented to me. Also they just had the stuff they had, there was no danger of their Plus the need to return your videos was a fun little hassle chore that would bring you into town and force you to have a day out, where the streaming services make it hella easy to be a shutin (especially if you've got amazon restaurant delivery set up in your city). Blockbuster can and did huff a fat one, of course, but I really liked the local video stores. We have one really cool one left in Portland, their whole stock in trade seems to be having weird poo poo that netflix or whatever hasn't even heard of, I hope they're doing well.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
They charged you a three dollar fee if you didn't rewind your movie.

I used to use Blockbuster to try a game before I bought it (to make sure it was good) now I have to use Game Fly and it's not the same.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Jenner posted:

They charged you a three dollar fee if you didn't rewind your movie.

I used to use Blockbuster to try a game before I bought it (to make sure it was good) now I have to use Game Fly and it's not the same.

Gamefly is still a thing?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Machai posted:

Consoles are a popular thing that people continue to buy. So long as there's a market for suckers customers to buy several hundred dollar game systems, there will be a market for people to rent video games for their several hundred dollar game system.

So yes, ironically, Gamestop/Gamesfly/Gameswhatever continues to shamble on purely because of the love of Windows/Sony/Nintendo.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
No one's mentioned Movie Gallery which is where I spent my formative years.

That was my first job after barely working at a deli making microwaved sandwiches and serving potato salad from a giant tub.

It was a small community and my manager didn't mind me breaking street dates on games and bringing them home to play before public release. It was poo poo pay for an easy job where I got to talk about movies and videogames with people all day. I quit to be a phone jockey for Citi and got hired back to MG when I decided to quit being a customer service rep after 6 weeks. I was there when the place was closing and a lot of the employees were just up and quitting as soon as they found another job. I got three of my friends jobs there to replace the staff and, once the manager left and even more chill one came in, we all just watched videos and stockpiled the stuff we would be taking when they closed it down.

My friends and I bought all the 360 games for like a dollar apiece and traded them in to Gamestop to the point that they put us on some blacklist.

It was a great time.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Machai posted:

Netflix DVD is still a thing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm sorry do you mean quikster?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

devtesla posted:

Netflix DVD is still a thing.

I still get discs through the mail, but it's mostly movies which Netflix doesn't stream so it's a lot of obscuro 80s horror or 70s flicks.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

I used to go to Blockbuster and hollywood video as a kid to rent movies to take home and watch. That's about it for all my memories of the place, no funny or crazy stuff happened.

This is my recollection as well.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x54e0m0

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

ruddiger posted:

They absolutely ruined the market for Mom & Pop video stores and they refused to carry NC-17 movies and would have studios re-edit their movies to appease religious fundamentalist groups.

What? How does Blockbuster have that much power?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Also, everyone should always remember that Boondock Saints was a blockbuster exclusive release and that screwed over the guy that made that movie hard so at least BB did one one thing right once.

TV Zombie posted:

The same way Walmart does now a days. Volume.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

we didn't have blockbuster where I grew up but we did have a bunch of the other chains like movie gallery and family video, and I always really liked going through the places and checking out all of the old weird poo poo with my dad when he went to go rent stuff for the weekend. I got a copy of the original gold cart ocarina of time by just renting it and never taking it back after my dad said he'd never go to that store again after getting screwed on a late fee.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hollywood video was the poo poo, gameXcrazy for life.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

TV Zombie posted:

There's a documentary about editing movies for like, religious prudes and old people, I can't remember the name but those people exist in enough numbers to make it a viable industry.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I got a few different movies when the Blockbusters near me closed. My favorite was getting half of each season of Flight of the Concords, which just feels delightfully appropriate for that show.

I also have fond memories of going to the one near my parents' house just about every week. I guess they were either pretty dedicated to getting the most out of it or my brother and I were really into watching old, bad movies that they didn't want clogging their shelves.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's a documentary about editing movies for like, religious prudes and old people, I can't remember the name but those people exist in enough numbers to make it a viable industry.

Iirc it's called cleanflix and it's absolutely loving nuts

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I also worked at blockbuster!! The job resulted in me losing my virginity

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wasn't there a dude on these very forums who worked at one and was like hella into the Blockbuster koolaid and even as they were dying the slow death he kept talking about how they weren't going out of business and even as they all closed he kept saying over and over how things were fine? I wonder how he's doing?
Someone on the Something Awful Forums convinced a dying business model is the path to success? Huh?????

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Iirc it's called cleanflix and it's absolutely loving nuts
Also this documentary owns, highly recommended.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TV Zombie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhiOAFE64M4

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 5, 2016

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

FactsAreUseless posted:

Someone on the Something Awful Forums convinced a dying business model is the path to success? Huh?????

I am looking for investors for my hotdog stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Machai posted:

Gamefly loving rules. I barely buy games at this point.

• Locked thread