Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN1RToUAOQg

(Although its a Red Band trailer there's no nudity or swearing... I guess there's some fake blood?)

Written and Directed by Clive Barker

It is

~*~*~ LORD OF ILLUSIONS ~*~*~

Starring

Scott Bakula!

Famke Janssen!

Kevin J. O'Connor!

Daniel von Bargen!

quote:

It begins in the Mojave Desert in 1982, inside a house that has become the headquarters for a cult led by a man named Nix. Nix has the ability to use real magic and not just mere illusions. While preaching, he tells his followers that he has been named "The Puritan" because of a strange fire that he shown he once chosen by, and tells everyone that it is their destiny to cleanse the world.

A young follower named Butterfield comes to Nix and informs him that a man named Swann is there. Swann and the others were previously part of the cult, but left, and are now returning to stop Nix, who has kidnapped a young girl and is planning to kill her. Outside in the desert, Swann and his friends Pimm, Quaid and Jennifer start walking to the house as they load and cock their guns, preparing themselves. After some relatively non-violent confrontations with other cultists, Butterfield escapes and Swann is attacked by Nix, who uses his powers, digging his fingers into Swann's head and showing him the vision of “Flesh with a God's eyes", which alters his perception, making him see his friends as monstrous and frightful figures.

Swann throws away his gun and attacks his friends. Then Nix transfer his magic into tormented Swann, making him "sharing" the power. Suddenly, Nix is shot from behind by the kidnapped girl, and then Quaid and Jennifer bring him to the ground by shooting him. Swann snaps out of his vision and takes out an ironwork mask he made for “binding” Nix. Once the mask has been assembled onto Nix's head, he thrashes violently for a few moments and appears to die. Swann declares that they will bury him so deep that no one will ever find him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Actually its really bad OP

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
That's one of the better movies about magic in general. And it even has the guy from Quantum Leap too.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Director's Cut is much much better than the theatrical.

Still though, the movie hasn't aged that well. It's the only one I can think of that could benefit from a proper remake. The story is solid enough, just get the effects up to par and make the villain more threatening. Once revealed, make magic truly supernatural and terrifying.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was thinking about this movie not too long ago. It's a bad movie, but it did some stuff that I still like, like making magic all mysterious and dangerous feeling without relying on elaborate tales of otherworldly demon possession or Lovecraftian elder god nonsense. Nix was just kind of creepy in a small, culty way rather than a take-over-the-whole-world kinda way.

Then Scott Bakula shoots at some flying origami I think.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Never was a fan of this, it's a horror-noir that isn't scary or mysterious. It doesn't even have a particularly striking mood, which should be the one thing a movie belonging to both horror and noir couldn't gently caress up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Nix being a creepy weirdo was a pretty good turn for a cult leader.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The Prestige isn't actually about magic, it's about Christian Bale being an rear end in a top hat to Hugh Jackman and vice versa, and each one being an rear end in a top hat to themselves. I do like both movies for making the distinction between illusions and magic, but The Prestige never pulls off the latter.

Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman and their armies of clones vs Nix would be a pretty cool movie though.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

sethsez posted:

Never was a fan of this, it's a horror-noir that isn't scary or mysterious. It doesn't even have a particularly striking mood, which should be the one thing a movie belonging to both horror and noir couldn't gently caress up.

You know what it did have though:

The best CGI 1995 had to offer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHqFvPfi9iI

Now on Bluray!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I dig the film but even when it was new it felt flawed. I do like how for 1982, instead of making the young people stereotyped punk or new wave or whatever, they went with the yuppy mustache and lacoste look that was infinitely more common irl.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just read about how the actor who played Nix ended up and I'm sad now. He was also the commandant from Malcolm in the Middle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Everything that happens in the movie is a metaphor for the gay subtext tearing at the fabric of reality.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Everything that happens in the movie is a metaphor for the gay subtext tearing at the fabric of reality.

"Written and Directed by Clive Barker"

Checks out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

hell yeah, Lord of Illusions kicks rear end, just make sure you get the director's cut otherwise yr missing a lot of the best stuff

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Halloween Jack posted:

Now I gotta watch it again.

I'm guessing the swords stunt in the beginning will take on a new context.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When you think about it, its kind of crazy how Clive Barker went from horror author to screenwriter and director.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Don't forget videogames.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Remember that one VHS 2 segment about the magician that could do real magic? That's my favorite movie about magic.

"Ta da."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this! posted:

When you think about it, its kind of crazy how Clive Barker went from horror author to screenwriter and director.

I wish he would direct more. I'm currently reading The Scarlet Gospel and while it has its fun moments, like Pinhead beating up an old blind woman, it's overall pretty weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

I wish he would direct more. I'm currently reading The Scarlet Gospel and while it has its fun moments, like Pinhead beating up an old blind woman, it's overall pretty weak.

I liked the part where Pinhead and Lucifer literally have a DBZ fight in midair.

• Locked thread