Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
dystopia movies were always my favorite genre of movie. something about them is just great, i think it is the inversion of the normal movie hero arc. with a dystopia movie half the time you end up with a "bad" ending, so its fairly unpredictable. there have been a lot of good ones lately like Snowpiercer (2013) and Elysium (2013) but i have always liked the classic 70s version of these movies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49IcrH4Bhq0

Logans Run

Logans Run is my favorite Sci-Fi movie of all time. the sound and visual effects are just spectacular, and the music is unbeatable. this movie takes place in a Dome city in the 23rd century. i think a nuclear war happened or something? no one really knows why they live in the dome, its not explained very well. the dome is run by an evil computer that murders everyone when they turn 30. Logan is a Dome Cop whos job it is to kill people that do not show up to the public ceremony, to be exploded by the computer on their 30th birthday. he goes rogue and tries to escape on his 30th birthday

Soylant Green
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpN312hYgU
Soylant Green is my second favorite Sci-Fi movie. Its people This movie take place in 2022, so 6 years from now. the world is over populated and everyone has to eat lovely blue crackers and stuff. strawberry jam will be worth $5000 a jar (better save it up now guys!). this movie is about a food riot cop who turns on the system, before realizing that there is gently caress all he can do about it because the world is out of food lol

Fahrenheit 451
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cQ-yGCyjyM
My third favorite sci-fi movie, Fahrenheit 451. This movie takes place in an unknown future time, where everyone goes to work on monorails and you can have big bottles of blue drugs for dinner. large flat screen TVs are mandatory, and books are illegal. the story follows a book burning cop (are you seeing a pattern in these loving movies?!) who goes rogue and starts reading the books he is assigned to burn.

everyone please post you own favorite dystopia movies, or discuss one of these three!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

star trek

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

theres like a dozen dystopia worlds in star trek. which one, geez

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
dark city was pretty cool

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Logan's Run is definitely underrated and mostly forgotten but a great picture. I really like They Live but I remember the first time I saw it I was super excited the glasses would be directly anti-government or anti-power and capital in general, rather than using the scapegoat of alien people with scary eyes. Still, pretty loving good

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

extra stout posted:

Logan's Run is definitely underrated and mostly forgotten but a great picture. I really like They Live but I remember the first time I saw it I was super excited the glasses would be directly anti-government or anti-power and capital in general, rather than using the scapegoat of alien people with scary eyes. Still, pretty loving good

They Live is brilliant, and i am pretty sure it could never have been made if the glasses weren't about aliens. it works great as an anti-consumerism/capitalism message anyway, Zezik doesnt seem to care :shrug:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

i like the hungre games

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress off rutibex

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Dredd ruled.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rock My Socks! posted:

i like the hungre games

you should check out Battle Royale!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0p1t-dC7Ko

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Probably Mad Max because I like Fallout so much, plus I have no hope for the future and I think we're already half way there.

The first time I saw this I was high as heck and spent the whole movie feeling a sense of overwhelming hopelessness and dread. It was dope.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Awesome, gonna have to watch this.

sky shark posted:

Dredd ruled.

Dredd is my favorite movie in maybe the last 10 years. The action scenes are brutal and well done, the story is easy to follow, the characters are interesting, they give just enough info to set the world up, and the acting is pretty great. Even better, it doesn't waste your loving time: barely over 90 minutes, it gets in, tells it's story, and get's out without dragging anywhere. How action packed dystopias should be.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I liked how wonderfully hosed up the world in the Aeon Flux animated series was.

A place where border control was managed by amputation on the spot and the war dead are dropped into their city of origin via coffin parachute by the victor.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mo_Steel posted:

Awesome, gonna have to watch this.

Dredd is my favorite movie in maybe the last 10 years. The action scenes are brutal and well done, the story is easy to follow, the characters are interesting, they give just enough info to set the world up, and the acting is pretty great. Even better, it doesn't waste your loving time: barely over 90 minutes, it gets in, tells it's story, and get's out without dragging anywhere. How action packed dystopias should be.

I loved the modern Dredd! It told its small little story, and didn't get caught up in world building (like most movies would). Mega City One was just a setting, the background. that was refreshing, not to be treated like an idiot for once in a super hero comic movie.

Magnus The Red
Oct 25, 2010

Russ is kind of a dick.
I like Dystopia movies that are realistic to what humanity is heading towards along with elements of mystery; Blade Runner and 13 Monkeys. More toward the cheesy action side, Freejack and Escape from L.A. both are favorites.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
My favourite Dystopia is Children of Men because it's the one we're closest to atm

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus The Red posted:

I like Dystopia movies that are realistic to what humanity is heading towards along with elements of mystery; Blade Runner and 13 Monkeys. More toward the cheesy action side, Freejack and Escape from L.A. both are favorites.

we have some serious work to do if we are going to as cool as Blade Runner on time:

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Brazil

All else is for little kids

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Brazil

All else is for little kids

but Brazil was a utopia :confused:

sorry this thread is for dystopias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svladcjelli
Apr 3, 2007

There's nothing that you offer but a dream of last years hero
Fun Shoe
I think I'm one of the 10 or so people that liked Johnny Neumonic.

It has Keanu Reeves, Ice-T, Dolph Lundgren, Henry Rollins, and a cybernetic dolphin.

• Locked thread