Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Business Gorillas posted:

consider striving your "person" to stop posting

I believe that owning people is wrong. I think considering people in unwilling bondage to be "scare quotes" "people" is deeply troubling.

Dehumanization is how slavery begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Sundown towns are still very much a thing. I refuse to stop in Vidor, Tx because of its history. It's not something I am willing to risk my life with.

Arab, Alabama is another place you should avoid for pretty much the same reason. I am white and still avoid that fuckin place.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

radmonger posted:

'Text in quotes after quoted post intended to look like a summary but massively misrepresenting it' - a "good poster"

If you are sincerely attempting to help the causes you support, can't you see and feel the failure that follows you when you do thst? Do you have some kind of unexamined privilege that blinds you to it?

When that person equivocates believing women's rape accusations at large with to kill a mockingbird, they're being a pig.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who read about the duke lacrosse case, the jian gomeshi trial, or that rolling stones libel lawsuit knows how 'listen and believe' can backfire on everyone who decides to believe before a trial. To kill a mockingbird was about a false rape accusation that everyone instantly believed because of who the accused was.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pharohman777 posted:

Anyone who read about the duke lacrosse case, the jian gomeshi trial, or that rolling stones libel lawsuit knows how 'listen and believe' can backfire on everyone who decides to believe before a trial. To kill a mockingbird was about a false rape accusation that everyone instantly believed because of who the accused was.

Out of every 1000 rapes, only 344 will be reported, and only 7 will be convicted.

Among studies of false rape accusation reports, estimates for the percentage of false reports begin to converge around 2-8%.

Citing high profile cases doesn't make you correct. Also, Jian Ghomeshi was never acquitted of the final charge and signed a peace bond instead and apologized to his accuser, proving him neither legally innocent, nor guilty.

• Locked thread