Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's pretty hosed up that you can't find good fresh produce in one of the greatest countries on the planet within any kind of normal distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ranter posted:

It's pretty hosed up that you can't find good fresh produce in one of the greatest countries on the planet within any kind of normal distance.

Agreed.

In my case, its more being able to find INTERESTING produce. I have a huge amount of fresh, decent quality produce readily available. But good luck finding purple daikon, frisee, morels, etc

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Ranter posted:

You'd be surprised at how much of the continental US is a "food desert". When your closest high-quality grocery store is an hour + each way, it's pretty drat near impossible to eat fresh, varied, produce.

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Agreed.

In my case, its more being able to find INTERESTING produce. I have a huge amount of fresh, decent quality produce readily available. But good luck finding purple daikon, frisee, morels, etc

We hear this a lot from our customers - especially where they wouldn't have even thought to use some of the more unique ingredients.

(I work for Plated).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I did Blue Apron a while ago, I've also done one of the others (Plated, I think?) and Munchery.

I found the portions were all too small for me. I have a wife so I can't eat two portions for myself. I don't have a big metabolism and am not a big eater.

Life is really busy lately between multiple jobs and a newborn kid, so I'd like to find a service that works for me. Are there any you guys would recommend for larger portions?

blk fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 8, 2017

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
We're staying with my dad and stepmom right now and they order Marley Spoon (Martha Stewart's thing) once a week. My wife and I usually do the cooking and we've been pretty happy with the quality and the serving sizes. I don't know what the cost is--the tradeoff for us doing the cooking is that they buy everything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doh004 posted:

You'd be surprised at how much of the continental US is a "food desert". When your closest high-quality grocery store is an hour + each way, it's pretty drat near impossible to eat fresh, varied, produce.

This is such a myth. Unless you live in the sticks this doesn't happen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

blk posted:

Life is really busy lately between multiple jobs and a newborn kid, so I'd like to find a service that works for me. Are there any you guys would recommend for larger portions?
Eat 2 portions?

My brother's wife was cooking a Hello Fresh meal the other day, he went over and grabbed a big handful of cheese off the counter and then she flipped out because there wasn't enough left to make the meal.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Tell that to the people living in Compton and Harlem. There are literally rival gang members putting their poo poo to the side to find and cook food for people who have no options other than fast food.

"Food desert" doesn't mean "no food at all", it means your options for fresh and healthy food are extremely limited. I have personally lived in such an evironment, so your assertion of it being a myth is pretty ignorant.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Eat 2 portions?

Read the whole post?

blk posted:

I found the portions were all too small for me. I have a wife so I can't eat two portions for myself. I don't have a big metabolism and am not a big eater.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Tell that to the people living in Compton and Harlem. There are literally rival gang members putting their poo poo to the side to find and cook food for people who have no options other than fast food.

"Food desert" doesn't mean "no food at all", it means your options for fresh and healthy food are extremely limited. I have personally lived in such an evironment, so your assertion of it being a myth is pretty ignorant.
I live in one. And it's bullshit. They think because there's not a Walmart in the city, it's a food desert, when there are like 5 smaller grocery stores (that have everything) and a bunch of other stores that have plenty of other food (except produce)

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Read the whole post?

Buy 4 portions?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ah, well your experience is of course the only one that matters. :discourse:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The problem is the baguettes in those little grocery stores suck, and their organic sections are usually very limited. And don't even get me started on the lack of real parmigiano reggiano.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Guys, I really like Blue Apron. Thought I would do the trial and maybe a week or two beyond, but I ended up really enjoying the variety it throws at me. I was in a bit of a rut making the same 5-6 recipes in rotation, cooking enough for the week on Sunday, and getting sick of the food by Thursday. The portions are also big enough where I can reliably make 3 servings out of every meal, so I'm set for nearly the full week. Having 9 meals instead of 6 also helps me justify the price to myself. And I do not miss grocery stores at all.

Salmon-dill burgers this week were very good.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I was thinking about this the whole time I was reading the thread, and finally figured out what it is about Blue Apron and similar services that make me want to hate them. They really get under my nails, grind my gears and I could never quite place why.

My mom was always very economical about grocery shopping and meal planning. On busy weeknights, dinner would be cheap, easy to cook, and filling. Baked chicken drumsticks or thighs, spaghetti + meatballs, hotdogs and box mac&cheese, "goulash" etc. I guess these are more or less comfort foods to me. They aren''t fancy, but they still taste good and there's always leftovers to heat up tomorrow. On the weekend when you have more time you get fancy and have a special dinner. That's just engraved into my brain. Sometimes you eat for the sake of eating, sometimes you go hog wild and spend the time/money to make something drat good.

Blue Apron is this weird combo of "let's get fancy" and "lazy weeknight dinner" and my mind won't accept it as a valid meal option. I'm not saying that people who enjoy Blue Apron are bad or wrong. It's just not for me. I don't want magazine cover food for dinner every single night. There is a time and a place for 80/20 beef. If you want to take that away from me and give me a 4oz salmon fillet you can do so from my cold dead hands. :colbert:

It's great that people are learning to cook from it instead of getting takeout or TV dinners. That's not something you should be eating multiple times a week anyway.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Bob Morales posted:

We do a ton of user and marketing research regarding all of this, it's not a myth. We talk to customers all of the time who value our service because of the lack of access to quality, fresh ingredients. And yes, a fair amount of Americans do live in the "sticks".

p-hop posted:

Blue Apron is this weird combo of "let's get fancy" and "lazy weeknight dinner" and my mind won't accept it as a valid meal option. I'm not saying that people who enjoy Blue Apron are bad or wrong. It's just not for me. I don't want magazine cover food for dinner every single night. There is a time and a place for 80/20 beef. If you want to take that away from me and give me a 4oz salmon fillet you can do so from my cold dead hands. :colbert:

It's great that people are learning to cook from it instead of getting takeout or TV dinners. That's not something you should be eating multiple times a week anyway.

I can assure you, the standard "meat and potatoes" are readily available on most, if not all, of the mealkit companies. It's not like you're forced to get salmon every time.

Also, not every mealkit is the same. For example, Plated has 14 selectable recipes each week for this exact reason so you're not forced to get what you don't want.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Blue Apron subscription and I like it. The food quality is good and the recipes are interesting. I won't comment on the "value" of the product, since it depends on the person and what value they put on convenience, but I like not needing to spend the mental energy to organize meals for a week. For me, there's a definite value in being able to just go home, pull out my ingredients, and get to cooking.

I also like that I'm essentially forced to cook things that I wouldn't otherwise consider. Left to my own devices, I usually gravitate toward a number of "signature" dishes I make, or variations thereof. Now, when I cook normally during the week, I've found myself making a lot more sauces, dressings, reductions, and the like because I do it so often with Blue Apron recipes.

I'd also imagine that if you were newer to cooking, it would be fairly educational to learn about different flavor parings and food combinations.

I'd recommend it, with the caveat that if you're the type of person who loves meal planning and grocery shopping, I'd imagine it's not for you. From my standpoint, the value lies in not having to think about meal planning after I get off work, and that's worth the cost. I actually really look forward to making the meals because they're often so different than what I otherwise make.

E: I live in the middle of a city with a Whole Foods, New Seasons, and Safeway within walking distance, so access to ingredients isn't a big deal for me. I just got a Plated sub to try, but haven't received anything from it yet.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 6, 2017

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I did Blue Apron for a while but stopped because it was just too expensive for what I was getting. The thing is, though, what it did do was force me to cook. I had these ingredients and they were gonna go bad if I didn't use them. Without someone force-shipping you ingredients every week, it's a lot easier to just say gently caress it, skip the grocery store, and eat out.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
How do I do the free Blue Apron trial, someone hook me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SHOAH NUFF posted:

How do I do the free Blue Apron trial, someone hook me up!

PM me email, I have a referral

• Locked thread