Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My DVR is 50% full because of all the movies I record off the best channel on TV.

In October, their star of the month was Christopher Lee, they aired virtually every classic Frankenstein movie, and also did a spotlight on women filmmakers/actors. November had Natalie Wood as the star of the month and the spotlight was on documentaries. This month, it's holiday movies and star of the month is Myrna Loy.

They also have specialty blocks.

TCM Underground is a block of exploitation, blaxploitation, and cult movies like Dolemite, Blacula, The World's Greatest Sinner, and Portrait of Jason. They even show old educational films. Last night they aired a Sid Davis one on gangs.
Silent Sunday Nights is a weekly block at midnight. They aired the super-rare A Page of Madness last month. Sometimes they do a bunch of Chaplin or Keaton shorts instead.
TCM Imports is basically a few hours of The Criterion Collection taking over the airwaves. They aired Lady Snowblood last month.

Also get some good guest hosts. Alec Baldwin introduced all the documentaries last month, which included Roger & Me and Primary. They also had a month of American International films with Roger Corman guest hosting.

The best reason for TCM is that they don't edit anything for content, show everything in the original aspect ratio when possible, and no loving commercials. They've shown movies like Deliverance, Woodstock, and The Last Detail totally uncut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
TCM is the one thing I miss about cable. Their app that lets you watch a ton of movies for free as long as you were subscribed to the channel was nice to have too.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
El Rey shows a ton of good stuff too you snooty nerd. Every Thursday is a kung fu marathon! They showed like 4 Trancers movies in a row! Both Pumpkinheads!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

FishBulb posted:

El Rey shows a ton of good stuff too you snooty nerd. Every Thursday is a kung fu marathon! They showed like 4 Trancers movies in a row! Both Pumpkinheads!

I've never heard of El Rey, but I legit switched cable providers once so I could get TCM.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i just got started my FilmStruck free trial it has lots of TCM movies as well as the Criterion collection

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

thathonkey posted:

i just got started my FilmStruck free trial it has lots of TCM movies as well as the Criterion collection

It's v. choice but I hope they expand their streaming support soon.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Speleothing posted:

I've never heard of El Rey, but I legit switched cable providers once so I could get TCM.

El Rey is literally The Robert Rodriguez Channel.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Claytor posted:

El Rey is literally The Robert Rodriguez Channel.

They show Kung fu movies and Suspiria!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

god bless TCM, it's the only cable channel that's stayed true to what it was originally established as

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

god bless TCM, it's the only cable channel that's stayed true to what it was originally established as

I remember when AMC was what TCM is now. They actually showed silent films at one time.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

get that OUT of my face posted:

what were they thinking putting mad men on comedy central

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Chwoka posted:

what were they thinking putting mad men on comedy central
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5F9_7XyaQQ

Somebody should actually make this a reality.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Does Robert Osborne still introduce every movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Does Robert Osborne still introduce every movie?

I think only for special event stuff. The last few times he looked like he was kind of getting up there in years. Then again, he was the sole host for about 15 years. It's mostly Ben Mankiewicz now, but they seem to bring on guest hosts for their spotlight and star-of-the-month stuff too.

Alec Baldwin hosted for documentaries last month. Earlier this year, they had a nun introduce films condemned by the Catholic Legion of Decency, which was really cool.

• Locked thread