Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Problem description: Just built a new rig and moved only the SSD to the new one. Old rig worked flawlessly on this network using the same USB adapter on the same install of Windows. New rig also works just fine, 100 bidirectional on the 5ghz band of my fios router except for the fact that it occasionally just drops the connection. The adapter is still one, and it can still see every non-5ghz network in the area but every 5ghz one, including my own, is no longer listed until I cycle the wifi toggle in Windows. Then it shows back up and connects immediately as if nothing were ever wrong. During this time, my laptop stays connected to 5ghz no problem. I am also experiencing intermittent slow-downs including one that seems to happen around 8:30 every single night that seriously fucks me. Drops my download to 50 and my upload to <20 for about 10 minutes. I've looked at the Windows network monitor thing during this time but haven't seen anything popping up so I have no idea what is causing it.

Attempted fixes: Un/reinstalled the USB adapter driver. Disabled the new software that I'm aware of: namely the geforce experience thing. I have set the adapter to "please do not turn this off to save power" mode in Windows. I scanned the channels in my area and hardcoded my router to one on 5ghz, this didn't do it so I set it back to auto.

Recent changes: Yep, it's a new machine entirely.

--

Operating system: Win 10 Home 64.

System specs: GeForce GTX 1070 running at stock - SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W PSU - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 - CM Hyper 212 Evo - Intel i7 6700k running at stock - Z170 Extreme4 LGA 1151 mobo

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

When it happens next I'd run this and see if there's any interference:
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I'd also make sure your chipset (INF as listed here) driver is up to date; sometimes helps with weird communication issues.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

• Locked thread