Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plick
Jun 9, 2007
Guardian of the Checkbook
Hi Goons,

For years I have lurked but now I need your help. Here is my problem:
A couple of months ago, I put the mister and myself on a tweaked macrobiotic diet.
I say tweaked because I still used dairy products on occasion and chicken. Tonight I made pancakes for him as a treat.
I used the same recipe for pancakes that he has always enjoyed:

1 1/2 c. flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbs sugar ( I use 2)
1 1/4c. milk
1 LG egg
3 tbs butter (melted)

The thing is, he did not enjoy the pancakes. Not for the reasons one would think after being on a macrobiotic diet. He said they were not sweet enough and tasted like banana bread without the banana. After a few months of no sugar or processed foods, pancakes should have been super sweet. They tasted normal to me. He couldn't tell if it was the pancakes or the syrup. He is awesome and deserves perfect pancakes. My research has found that most chefs say that good pancakes only use flour, sugar, eggs, and milk but they never produce the recipe and I have the baking black thumb of death. I am looking for either the perfect pancake recipe or the link to the best maple syrup (preferably both). After months of being denied hot dogs, beef, and white bread, the least I could do is make him some awesome pancakes.

Any pancake or syrup advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I used this recipe from Taste.com.au last time I made pancakes and they came out perfectly.

plick
Jun 9, 2007
Thank you! I will try this. After repeatedly seeing recipes that did not need baking powder I was concerned that I was doing something wrong. The vanilla makes me want to try this now!

(I'm also wondering why my "Help" tag got changed to "poo poo Post" but the pancakes are more important).

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Admittedly, I don't know much about a macrobiotic diet, but a trick I do sometimes with pancakes is to mix in fruits with the batter, typically blueberries. Adds nice pops of sweetness without adding any extra refined sugars.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Alton Browns buttermilk pancakes are awesome as well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

plick posted:

He said they were not sweet enough and tasted like banana bread without the banana. After a few months of no sugar or processed foods, pancakes should have been super sweet.
Well I mean "banana bread without the banana" sounds like a perfect description of what pancakes taste like normally. If you want to make them sweeter, you can put maple syrup on top of them. You didn't say what kind of maple syrup you used, but you might try using the fake "pancake syrup," which is basically just corn syrup, aka sugar. That ought to be sweet enough. Or just add more sugar to the pancakes.

plick
Jun 9, 2007
It was blueberry syrup. The cheap Smucker's brand because that's what he requested. We have both concluded, since this was a recipe he previously loved, that it had to be the syrup he was using. I tried to talk him into maple syrup and letting me make fresh blueberry pancakes but no-go. I think he was trying to relive a childhood experience and found that after cutting out processed food that fake food tastes like crap. I'm very excited about trying the vanilla in the recipe. I also agree that Alton has never failed me thus far.

Sole.Sushi, Macrobiotics is a combination of ruling out all processed foods and most meats (you can eat only certain fish once in a while). They only eat fruits and veges that are in season for the region you live in and seem to promote dried fruit over fresh. The whole diet encompasses a yin and yang balance. None of their principals ever fit into my small budget. That said, the idea of eating seasonal/regional veges & fruits and not consuming processed foods always made sense to me. As a former fatty, I put myself on a macrobiotic diet in the early 2000's when I could no longer afford Jenny Craig. The results were immediate and longer lasting than any diet I had ever tried.

plick fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 11, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I have an old Zen macrobiotic cookbook. Almost everything is brown rice, which was the kicker for me - growing up on white calrose every day, brown rice just isn't "right" to me. I did try some of the recipes with proper white rice, though, and it's pretty good. Basically just Japanese food through a 1970s California lens.

plick
Jun 9, 2007
Brown rice does have a much stronger flavor than white. I do use brown rice a lot but I still use or mix in white for some recipes. When I make spaghetti, I mix brown rice pasta with plain pasta... a lot of macrobiotic recipes recommend buckwheat pasta which I dislike the taste of. Our plan was to lose some weight and eat healthier without going nuts. I refuse to make buckwheat pancakes as I do not like buckwheat. If I'm going to make the man pancakes, they need to be some awesome pancakes which is the reason for this post. I completely failed him on what was supposed to be a treat. He wasn't awful about it but when a guy agrees to do without his favorites for months...a treat needs to be a proper treat!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If the syrup is the disappointing part why not make a fresh blueberry syrup?
You can make it using frozen berries too. Just put some berries and sugar in a pot and cook it down and strain it or not if you want it chunky.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
you're self admittedly not a cook or baker. buy bisquick, follow the instructions on the box. put syrup on the pancakes. make syrup if you want to get creative.

also your 'mister' is lashing out at you in the only way he knows how for putting up with your dietfads. this is the beginning of the end. good luck!

Pikal
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
I experimented with many recipes and variations and finally worked out a recipe that I love. Thought I'd share cause I love to add vanilla to my recipe.

Dry
1 Cup AP Flour
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tea baking powder
1/2 tea salt

Wet
1 cup milk
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tea vanilla (real vanilla, stay away from the cheap stuff)
1 egg
1tbsp melted butter

Add vinegar to milk to make butter milk. Let it sit while you measure out the dry ingredients. Use a dry whisk to mix and set aside. Whip the egg and then whisk in the melted butter. Once smooth, mix with butter milk and add to dry ingredients. Don't overmix, small lumps are ok. Should seem a little runny, that's ok. I like to put a little coconut oil (unrefined for more of a coconut taste) on griddle just under medium heat, wipe it off. This is for taste, you're not frying. I like to use a scoop or a 1/4 cup measuring cup to evenly make the pancakes Flip when the bubbles form and just start to pop. I like to top with fresh blueberries.

Easy to change up. Sometimes, I like to put a tbsp of cocoa powder in the mix, just remove 1 tbsp of flour. Or add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder.

plick
Jun 9, 2007
The cinnamon sounds awesome. Can't wait to try this.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Crepes are superior.

Batter: Flour, milk, egg, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, butter.

Filling: whatever you want

Butter hot pan, ladle on some batter, rotate pan in air to get a thin covering, flip, toss on to stack in oven. Roll 'em up with good stuff. Drizzle with syrup.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

cowofwar posted:

Crepes are superior.

Butter hot pan, ladle on some batter, rotate pan in air to get a thin covering, flip, toss on to stack in oven. Roll 'em up with good stuff. Drizzle with syrup.

Good timing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

cowofwar posted:

Crepes are superior.

Ummm, you need club soda in there, too, you know. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

plick posted:

The thing is, he did not enjoy the pancakes. Not for the reasons one would think after being on a macrobiotic diet. He said they were not sweet enough and tasted like banana bread without the banana. After a few months of no sugar or processed foods, pancakes should have been super sweet. They tasted normal to me. He couldn't tell if it was the pancakes or the syrup. He is awesome and deserves perfect pancakes. My research has found that most chefs say that good pancakes only use flour, sugar, eggs, and milk but they never produce the recipe and I have the baking black thumb of death. I am looking for either the perfect pancake recipe or the link to the best maple syrup (preferably both). After months of being denied hot dogs, beef, and white bread, the least I could do is make him some awesome pancakes.

Any pancake or syrup advice would be greatly appreciated.

For pancakes I always resort back to my faux-sourdough recipe that my dad taught me growing up.

The night before:
2 cups warm water
2 cups flour
1pkg Yeast

Combine the above in a large mixing bowl, cover, and leave in a warm place overnight.

The next day add:
1 large egg
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Vanilla extract and cinnamon to taste (or flavoring of your choosing)

If you're making for just you and your SO you may want to half the recipe because this makes a great goddamn lot of pancakes for two people.

*Edit: After rereading the post, I should add that if the complaint was that they weren't sweet enough, these probably wouldn't do it for him. These tend to be a bit more mellow on the sweetness.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 30, 2017

• Locked thread