Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A number of users have floated this idea and encouraged it, but as of yet there hasn't been any movement on it. So here we are, a thread to plan this thing, troubleshoot, assign work, collaborate, and see if we cannot get a functional app or website to inform the American public of all their ways to make their voices heard.

The concept is relatively simple. Using IP tracking and/or GPS allowance, we can inform the user of every upcoming election from dog catcher up that they are eligible to participate in, alongside the times to register, and the eligible candidates. We also get the candidates positions on the important and relevant matters, from where we can get them. A lot of this is going to be blank in many cases, at least initially. At that point, we can use the secondary use of the system.

By using the same GPS based system that the app is built on to give information, we can check to see which of the representatives in our users districts have not sent us a concrete stance on certain issues. At this point, we can encourage users to print out and mail letters requesting a formal position on these issues. While a politician will ignore a journalist asking them to make a statement on something unless its absolutely necessary, when a number of their constituents send them letters demanding the same thing, it becomes a lot harder to ignore, and there comes a point where trying to ignore us simply becomes more of a hassle than taking a concrete stand. This same tactic is used by corporate lobbyists to flip politicians votes, we may as well use such an underhanded tactic to inform the public and let them know who they are voting for, and what they represent.

Whatever may come of this, whatever form it takes, there is a use for this service and it is within our powers to do so.

Leave messages below or join the DIscord room to discuss.

https://discord.gg/cADeZre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

get ready to disrupt democracy

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i'll make the website

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
won't we get sued for making an app version of ballotpedia or any of the other half dozen sites that do exactly this

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

won't we get sued for making an app version of ballotpedia or any of the other half dozen sites that do exactly this

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I'll do the jonny concept art

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Real talk I can help with the architecture, planning, and development.

If you're interested, send me a PM and we can go about setting this up into something viable.

We can set up a private slack and story board to get this shaped up, for starters.

Next, we can set up some SCM and start organizing the team.

Ferdinand the Bull has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Dec 12, 2016

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Karl Barks posted:

I'll do the jonny concept art

Johnny Five-Ballots

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

https://github.com/votinginfoproject

The voting information project. Looks legit. I am gonna contribute to it. Anyone else with me?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Could this system also be used to identify people who are unfriendly to the powerful interests and then organize and arm them?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

before we even start coding something up we need to start thinking about exactly wtf we're making

what are the needs we have to fulfill? who is our target audience? how interested in this solution is the target audience? do they even really have a problem that needs to be filled, or do they not really care about voting and politics in general?

we're nowhere near the point where we should be coding, tbqh. we have a lot of product research that we need to do first

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Google provides all the info on a given ballot if you enter your zip code and the kind of people motivated enough to download an app like this are probably already aware of what's going on in local politics.

The problem isn't the lack of info, it's the lack of interest in politics in the first place.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HailHorrorHail posted:

Google provides all the info on a given ballot if you enter your zip code and the kind of people motivated enough to download an app like this are probably already aware of what's going on in local politics.

The problem isn't the lack of info, it's the lack of interest in politics in the first place.

Exactly. tech can't solve everything. working as a software developer has taught me that people are infinitely more difficult than any sort of tech. we should be focusing on people. we need "soft" skills and outreach.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

The concept is relatively simple. Using IP tracking and/or GPS allowance, we can inform the user of every upcoming election from dog catcher up that they are eligible to participate in, alongside the times to register, and the eligible candidates. We also get the candidates positions on the important and relevant matters, from where we can get them. A lot of this is going to be blank in many cases, at least initially. At that point, we can use the secondary use of the system.

Wouldn't it be way easier to get people to register to vote by mail?

Then the ballot shows up at your house for every election. You know who the candidates are, because they're on your ballot. And you can use google to find everyone's positions.

The alternative is pulling out your phone and trying to read stuff when you're literally in the voting booth.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

falcon2424 posted:

The alternative is pulling out your phone and trying to read stuff when you're literally in the voting booth.

Doing this might cause you some trouble, because in 16 states taking photographs while in a voting booth is illegal; and what's someone going to assume if they see you whip out your phone?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Long and short: This project is a lot harder than you think and a lot less useful than you'd like. All district info is totally non-standardized, often taking different formats county by county. It's difficult to access and there are firms that make money just by going through all the effort to collate the data from state agencies and make it available to other vendors. And at the end of the day, you're not engaging the voters who matter the most- the ones least engaged in the political system.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Concerned Citizen posted:

Long and short: This project is a lot harder than you think and a lot less useful than you'd like. All district info is totally non-standardized, often taking different formats county by county. It's difficult to access and there are firms that make money just by going through all the effort to collate the data from state agencies and make it available to other vendors. And at the end of the day, you're not engaging the voters who matter the most- the ones least engaged in the political system.

Google and the Voter Information Project do the legwork of collecting and standardizing the data nationwide and makes it available for free as an API.

Data isn't the problem. Engaging people is the problem.

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Finding out that Hillary Clinton's campaign was tanked by a Rampant AI should be a good example that More Tech is not the answer to politics.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

it could be the answer provided we don't put the rampant AI as the actual candidate next time

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

biznatchio posted:

Google and the Voter Information Project do the legwork of collecting and standardizing the data nationwide and makes it available for free as an API.

Data isn't the problem. Engaging people is the problem.

i might be wrong but i believe that only works for a handful of offices, not all of them. off-year bond measures, municipal elections, etc wouldn't be covered.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

redneck nazgul posted:

it could be the answer provided we don't put the rampant AI as the actual candidate next time

Idk I would totally be down for a kill all humans platforn

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Concerned Citizen posted:

i might be wrong but i believe that only works for a handful of offices, not all of them. off-year bond measures, municipal elections, etc wouldn't be covered.

It's probably fairly hit-or-miss. It lists all my local municipal offices. Not sure how much of the elections it covered though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Agean90 posted:

Idk I would totally be down for a kill all humans platforn

Donald J. Bender!

• Locked thread