Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Popelmon posted:

28 :eng101:.

The low number of episodes really makes it more appealing to rewatch. I kinda want to rewatch The Sopranos and Breaking Bad but there are just so many god drat episodes, I don't have time for that!

Try the X-Files, 9 classic seasons and two full length motion pictures. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Try the X-Files, 9 classic seasons and two full length motion pictures. :psyduck:

My best friend did this and loved it, and was so excited when the news came out that they were going to bring it back

Needless to say he wishes it hadn't returned now

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I've seen x-files viewing guides that indicate which episodes contribute to the overall story and which ones are just filler. If I ever watch it I will probably use something like that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's the worst possible approach you could take with X-Files. The episodes with an over-arching story are absolutely terrible. All of the show's appeal is in the one-offs.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

All of the show's appeal is in the one-offs.

This. This is the bread and butter of X-files.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Well that’s mostly true, and the way I felt about about it when I first watched it, the first 3-4 season myth-arc episodes are pretty drat good. With that said, most if not all of the series best episodes are standalone “monster of the week” episodes.

I know it is praised to the point of making it the obvious pick, but the episode Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose is a start to finish masterpiece of storytelling.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Season one is underappreciated because a couple big reviewers trashed the show early on. And since that whole industry is a giant circle jerk it led to every other reviewer parroting the same bullshit.

If you took dishits from AV Club out of the equation, people would have loved season one as much as the others.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I've always been a Season 1 (is better than season 2) supporter. I feel like for most of the episodes it focused on one character and their story and intertwined it well with progressing the overall story fairly well.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I loved Season 1...except for "BJ and the AC," which is a pretty bad episode (Maybe the show's only?) Also I think a lot of people were turned off by the extended Guilty Remnant scenes. "Buhhh they aren't talking, I don't wanna have to pay attention and read their body language/facial expressions!"

Oh, and pairing S1 with the (abysmal) last season of True Blood was a monumentally poor programming choice by HBO. I get that they were probably thinking "put the new supernatural drama with the old," but one was a campy soap about literal monsters while the other was a small, quiet show about despair and grief; a tonal mismatch that probably didn't reach the audience they had hoped for.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I feel like Season 1 is maybe Lindelof at his peak, and while I like seasons 2 and 3 I feel like too much of those is just him falling back on some stuff I didn't like as much from Lost.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I definitely like Leftovers s1 far, far more than I did, and would in fact argue that it is really good overall! But holy poo poo is BJ and the AC a bad episode, and I still think the Nora hooker shooting sequence is abominably stupid and bad.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Season 1 strikes me as being Lindelof attempting to channel Lost but on HBO and with a few more years of experience outside of that show under his belt.

Season 2 and 3 feel far more creative and audacious to me. There are very few shows out there that have a writers room that would submit a script like "International Assassin", but this show did.

I'm not trying to pick favourites or anything. I'm saying I love em all but for different reasons.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Season 2 and 3 feel far more creative and audacious to me. There are very few shows out there that have a writers room that would submit a script like "International Assassin", but this show did.
All they really did in International Assassin was a condensed version of Inception, one of the most popular films of the last decade. I don't really think that is super bold.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Raxivace posted:

All they really did in International Assassin was a condensed version of Inception, one of the most popular films of the last decade. I don't really think that is super bold.

lol this is such an inaccurate and reductive way to describe that episode that it's sort of funny.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Last Chance posted:

lol this is such an inaccurate and reductive way to describe that episode that it's sort of funny.
Not really, and I'm far from the first person to make that comparison.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wtf are you talking about

god I hate “Twin Peaks is art and all other TV ever is poo poo” people

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

wtf are you talking about
The entire aesthetic and general premise of going into an ambiguously real dream world to do a Bond-esque movie plot is straight out of Inception dude. That's why I contended that the episode was somehow bold or daring, if all that they were doing was lifting something from a recent popular movie.

The only major difference between them besides running time is that International Assassin has a better ending than Inception does.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its not filmed, edited, acted, scored or even remotely similar in terms of context to Inception beyond some superficial comparisons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously. The closest you can get is “they take place in dream worlds”. The dreams in Inception aren’t ambiguous (they’re definitely not real, they’re dreams), and the “Bond poo poo” is completely different in the movie and the episode. Not to mention the context behind International Assassin is completely different which is more likely what people are talking about when they talk about the episode being original or whatever (although you could make an argument it’s similar to Sopranos coma visions I suppose)

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Eh, It's a Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt World is straight up garbage because it's just Roar (1981) on a boat :smug:.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just rewatched "The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His Identical Twin Brother)".

Its basically a rip off of WarGames (1983)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Its not filmed, edited, acted, scored or even remotely similar in terms of context to Inception beyond some superficial comparisons.
Agreed on the editing and scoring being different, I don't think I necessarily agree on the acting and I don't agree on the filming (If by filming you mean how its presented). Both intentionally downplay much in the way of any kind of surrealism you typically see in these kinds of stories (Like Lynch or Bunuel), both emphasize a veneer of realism over the worlds, and both focus on making the worlds simplistic and easy to understand (Inception through needless exposition, International Assassin through Kevin being given fairly simple goals).

Escobarbarian posted:

Seriously. The closest you can get is “they take place in dream worlds”. The dreams in Inception aren’t ambiguous (they’re definitely not real, they’re dreams), and the “Bond poo poo” is completely different in the movie and the episode. Not to mention the context behind International Assassin is completely different which is more likely what people are talking about when they talk about the episode being original or whatever (although you could make an argument it’s similar to Sopranos coma visions I suppose)
A lot of people debate when the dreams start and end in Inception though (I.e. people saying DiCaprio was always in the dream, or never left even at the end or whatever), which admittedly is different than how the ambiguity of the existence of Leftovers' Hotel World is generated. I don't think the Bond poo poo not literally being exactly the same either is that relevant though- like you seemed to pick up on what I was talking about without me having to go into much detail about it.

I haven't seen this Soprano's episode so I don't know how that compares.

Popelmon posted:

Eh, It's a Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt World is straight up garbage because it's just Roar (1981) on a boat :smug:.
The point isn't that the episode is bad because it lifts from Inception, its that it isn't particularly original. I haven't seen this Roar movie but if it was about a religious man debating his faith after he encounters a man claiming to be God, an orgy, and also a lion I'd certainly be surprised and would also probably watch it tomorrow.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I don't know episode names. Which one was BJ and the AC? And why is it worse?

Also: One of the biggest strengths of season one was the GR scenes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

UmOk posted:

I don't know episode names. Which one was BJ and the AC? And why is it worse?

I think it’s the one where Nora is at the conference and her badge got stolen. I dunno, though, I liked it just fine. It was kind of disjointed but it felt like it was disjointed in an intentional way that matched with Nora’s headspace.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah that one’s really good outside of the opening. BJ and the AC is the episode where the nativity jesus gets stolen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think it’s the one where Nora is at the conference and her badge got stolen. I dunno, though, I liked it just fine. It was kind of disjointed but it felt like it was disjointed in an intentional way that matched with Nora’s headspace.
It's actually the one where Kevin rescues baby Jesus lol. I didn't mind that one either though. It's slow and weird.

I remember really liking that Nora conference one on my s1 rewatch.

UmOk posted:

Also: One of the biggest strengths of season one was the GR scenes.

Totally agree. I love how it highlights the great acting

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

It's actually the one where Kevin rescues baby Jesus lol. I didn't mind that one either though. It's slow and weird

Oh, I absolutely loved that one.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I need a boxed set of the complete series. HBO must not want my money.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like the Baby Jesus one because of how it explores Kevin and Jill's relationship, even if the Baby Jesus part itself is a bit silly.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Season 1 is pure Lindelof. Season 2 is him trying to appease critics. And Season 3 is him realizing he did and just going even further with stuff.

This isn't bad either as many reviewers have good taste. But listening to Lindelof give interviews it's clear he really cares a ton about what reviewers think about his show. Like he's obsessed with it. I'd have been interested in seeing the direction of the show if the Season 1 reviews were positive.

I'd rank them 1 > 2 > 3 although I think they are all great. My issue with season 3 is they only had 8 episodes and wasted one of those on Sr's stroll through Australia. It also seemed like they had some major budget cuts to deal with.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One funny thing is they probably paid good money to have Janel Moloney play a catatonic character for two seasons and then had to cut her out for budget reasons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Niwrad posted:

One funny thing is they probably paid good money to have Janel Moloney play a catatonic character for two seasons and then had to cut her out for budget reasons.

I really loved how she sort of showed up in International Assassin.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

Season 1 may be my favourite season, just going off of memory tbh. It had some of the best moments of the series, like when the GR replaces all the departed family members with those burial bodies.

Whenever I get around to rewatching I'll rank 'em again and see where 1 sits.

I actually wasn't super down for that because I LOVED the burial bodies when they first show up as this incredibly morbid joke about just how hosed up the grieving process is in this world, like John Edward taken about 1000 levels further. Making it plot-related was, like, "cute," but also kind of ruined the magic of the bit for me.

JethroMcB posted:

I loved Season 1...except for "BJ and the AC," which is a pretty bad episode (Maybe the show's only?) Also I think a lot of people were turned off by the extended Guilty Remnant scenes. "Buhhh they aren't talking, I don't wanna have to pay attention and read their body language/facial expressions!"

Oh, and pairing S1 with the (abysmal) last season of True Blood was a monumentally poor programming choice by HBO. I get that they were probably thinking "put the new supernatural drama with the old," but one was a campy soap about literal monsters while the other was a small, quiet show about despair and grief; a tonal mismatch that probably didn't reach the audience they had hoped for.

Didn't BJ and the AC have insane production problems that were related in a Sepinwall interview?

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 17, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's the one that iirc they already shot a bunch of before realising it wasn't working and so took it back in for retooling. Not that it helped imo

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think the Noara-hooker-shooting scene would have played a lot better if it had let into the Season 2 theme rather than the garbage from Season 1.
Season 1 had some amazing moments of black comedy, the first of which is the scene where Jill mimes hanging herself.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I think the black comedy might be my favorite part of the entire show. And Justin Theroux is VERY good at it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Surprising opinions. I think Season 1 was the least Lindelof and I love Lindelof. Season 2 was a perfect season of TV and International Assassin was the best episode of any show I’ve ever seen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Surprising opinions. I think Season 1 was the least Lindelof and I love Lindelof. Season 2 was a perfect season of TV and International Assassin was the best episode of any show I’ve ever seen.

I really love International Assassin, but Ozymandias and the season 5 finale of The Shield juuuuuuuuuuust manage to beat it.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

International Assassin was the best episode of any show I’ve ever seen.

This is a good and true statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess I shouldn't have unbookmarked this thread, though I'm more than happy to read more about The Leftovers since I cannot get my family to watch it!

I was one of the guys in the Season 1 thread that didn't really like the show, but after a couple rewatches I've grown to love it, even the baby Jesus episode. That last scene with Kevin driving in the truck with the doll and then deciding to chuck it out on the side of the road packs a punch.

Also add me to the list of people who want a complete series box set. The Season 2 media package for the show came with maps, a vial of water, and a badge for Miracle, I want something along those lines!

• Locked thread