Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
None of you would be complaining about these things if darth vader was real

Just saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I watched it a second time yesterday and realized how the Bail Organa/Leia part makes so little sense. If you're sending your daughter to inform Obi-Wan then why was she in battle with the Rebel fleet? :rolleyes:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Suicide Watch posted:

I watched it a second time yesterday and realized how the Bail Organa/Leia part makes so little sense. If you're sending your daughter to inform Obi-Wan then why was she in battle with the Rebel fleet? :rolleyes:

Because they had to get the plans first.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Because they had to get the plans first.

I liked R1, but it's a valid criticism. She didn't need the plans to get Obi-Wan, she just needed to take a trip to Tatooine to go look for him. It was only circumstance that the plans ended up on her ship. The big rebel capital ship was preparing to flee the system right before Vader dropped in to say hi.

Also

Kuroyama posted:

The "choke on your aspirations" line was great because Vader emphasized "choke" in that way you do when you want people to know you're making a pun.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Arc Light posted:

I liked R1, but it's a valid criticism. She didn't need the plans to get Obi-Wan, she just needed to take a trip to Tatooine to go look for him. It was only circumstance that the plans ended up on her ship. The big rebel capital ship was preparing to flee the system right before Vader dropped in to say hi.

Also

Yeah, you're right. Eh. I mean it was mainly just so they could make it make sense that she had the plans in the beginning of Ep 4, but they also wanted to bring in Bail to do some fan service I guess. "WOULDN'T IT BE NEAT IF..."

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Kuroyama posted:

The "choke on your aspirations" line annoyed me a bit because Vader emphasized "choke" in that way you do when you want people to know you're making a pun.

I took it as Vader telling him he was going to flat out murder him if he hosed up?

Suicide Watch posted:

Wasn't she already there when they realized the Empire fleet showed up and poo poo was sideways? So it became a matter of having to evac the plans as well as going to get Obi.

Do I need to go back to the theater and watch it again?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Apparently the theater I like out here has $5 IMAX Tuesdays, including 3d screenings. :stare: Hell yeah.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Genocide Tendency posted:

I took it as Vader telling him he was going to flat out murder him if he hosed up?

If he didn't put the emphasis on "choke", I would have had no problem with the line. It should've been a subtle pun, but he said it like he was telling a dad joke. Granted, it's a dad joke involving murder, but still.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Kuroyama posted:

If he didn't put the emphasis on "choke", I would have had no problem with the line. It should've been a subtle pun, but he said it like he was telling a dad joke. Granted, it's a dad joke involving murder, but still.

Literally all the more reason to love it.

:dadjoke:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Godholio posted:

Apparently the theater I like out here has $5 IMAX Tuesdays, including 3d screenings. :stare: Hell yeah.

lol but don't do 3D

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Genocide Tendency posted:

Literally all the more reason to love it.

:dadjoke:

But Vader didn't know he was a dad at the time, so he shouldn't be making dad jokes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kuroyama posted:

But Vader didn't know he was a dad at the time, so he shouldn't be making dad jokes.

I'm not a dad but I love making dad jokes. :iiam:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Kuroyama posted:

shut up

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I think darth Vader is cool and good

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya but the subtle pun none of us gave a second thought to kind of make him seem less serious and tough y'know?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ya but the subtle pun none of us gave a second thought to kind of make him seem less serious and tough y'know?

I hate sand

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MazelTovCocktail posted:

They accidentally programmed in an eightball for her based on historical data.

:negative:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's rare that a joke gets funnier when it is re-told, but here we are.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/status/811659459307061249

https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/status/811620111752663040

https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/status/811322031803396096

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Han and Leia are back together at least

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Zeris posted:

Han and Leia are back together at least

gently caress, that's dark

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo so I'm watching Star Wars and thinking that one of the things that makes it so loving great is the way that some really amazing actors were involved with it. People like Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness really bring everything together and Rogue One perfectly emulated that example with the performances by Forest Whitaker and Mads Mikkelsen. gently caress, Star Wars is the poo poo and I'm so happy that new Star Wars is also the poo poo

Edit: also goddamn if you don't know about it so yourself a favor and check out the despecialized version of Star Wars. Some people made a fan edit of the original trilogy that is essentially a Blu Ray version of the movies in their almost original form, free of the CGI madness that is the current version available in retail.

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 28, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
All I wanted from the re-working of the originals was better looking explosions, light sabers, and integrating stuff like ships with starfields. Don't add poo poo, change content, etc. Just fix the shortcomings of 1970s visual tech. I walked out of the theater in 1997 completely annoyed.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

He's only on comms, but Wedge is flying around with Red Squadron and he's voiced by Denis Lawson in an uncredited cameo. OG Red and Gold leaders got the same CGI magic as Tarkin and Leia.

It isn't critical to the story or anything but Saw is in a few episodes of the Clone Wars where he is trained in terrorism 101 by Anakin to run an anti-confederacy insurgency.

The ship from the Rebels show is in the Scarif fleet and their droid is trundling around in the background on Yavin.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Potential BFF posted:

He's only on comms, but Wedge is flying around with Red Squadron and he's voiced by Denis Lawson in an uncredited cameo. OG Red and Gold leaders got the same CGI magic as Tarkin and Leia.

It isn't critical to the story or anything but Saw is in a few episodes of the Clone Wars where he is trained in terrorism 101 by Anakin to run an anti-confederacy insurgency.

The ship from the Rebels show is in the Scarif fleet and their droid is trundling around in the background on Yavin.

Gold and Red leaders weren't CGI but rather were unused footage from A New Hope, with new background effects. Happened by accident, the director stumbled on reels of cut film that had never been digitized. Pretty neat attention to detail.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-how-rogue-one-got-its-hands-on-unseen-star-wars-f-1790250545

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Okay, that's even cooler.

Movie owns.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Don't forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCGkzwW_S8

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

Edit: also goddamn if you don't know about it so yourself a favor and check out the despecialized version of Star Wars. Some people made a fan edit of the original trilogy that is essentially a Blu Ray version of the movies in their almost original form, free of the CGI madness that is the current version available in retail.

I wouldn't mind if ILM were to get the OK to do a touch-up of the theatrical editions as blu-rays. I much prefer the Despecialized edition over the Lucas-gently caress official blu-rays but some of the effects shots in A New Hope are just... not good. A couple of the scenes with Luke's lightsaber are really bad -- the drone training on the Falcon is horrendous on the official Blu-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

• Locked thread