Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Once teacher brought in a roll of film for a store I worked in to be developed. It was of a girls soccer team at a tournament.

The photos started off nice and normal but somewhere along the line the girls were left alone with the camera in their hotel room.

Also my workmates dumbass boyfriend got us to develop a roll with her nudie photos on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Dali Parton posted:

-I made some lady punch herself and pull out her hair. Somehow nobody saw this.

You owe us a story here. :munch:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

I heart bacon posted:

gently caress you I want this story

504 posted:

somewhere along the line the girls were left alone with the camera in their hotel room.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

ladron posted:

gently caress you I want this story

We were all gagging to know what happened when the teacher picked up the photos and got to the "posed topless photo of the two chicks making out" part.

Also, I really wanted to know how they thought they were going to get away with this.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

504 posted:

We were all gagging to know what happened when the teacher picked up the photos and got to the "posed topless photo of the two chicks making out" part.

Also, I really wanted to know how they thought they were going to get away with this.

During puberty the brain rewires itself. This includes the parts responsible for impulse control and long term planning, which (according to articles I read ages ago) for a period during puberty are literally smaller relative to overall brain size than at any other point.

Like, most folks can look back and say "wow, teenage me was a dumbass" but unless you have regular contact with teenagers it's easy to underestimate just how dumb. Especially in groups.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

How is Staples still in business? Everytime I walk into one, there are more associates than there are customers...

Staples retail isn't their main business. It's not insignificant, but stores are not where they make their money. Staples bread and butter is selling paper, toner, pens etc by the pallet to Bank of America, the US government, Home Depot, and colleges across the country. They're also heavily invested in safety and janitorial supplies to all sized businesses. Staples was actually the 2nd largest internet retailer behind Amazon for a while, until Walmart overtook them.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Can I start dropping hilarious tales of Staples glory in here too because I was the only EasyTech guy at the one I worked for like 3 years and it pretty much ended up like the retail version of that "American Dream" story of SA lore. I got to do whatever I wanted mostly and I could avoid duties by saying "well actually I've got to finish this PC up, it's urgent."

I only took advantage of it occasionally and it started to fall apart when upper management got completely reshuffled and they started to phase out EasyTech as a thing

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Can I start dropping hilarious tales of Staples glory in here too because I was the only EasyTech guy at the one I worked for like 3 years and it pretty much ended up like the retail version of that "American Dream" story of SA lore. I got to do whatever I wanted mostly and I could avoid duties by saying "well actually I've got to finish this PC up, it's urgent."

I only took advantage of it occasionally and it started to fall apart when upper management got completely reshuffled and they started to phase out EasyTech as a thing

Yes please!!! Also what's the American Dream story of SA lore?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Michael Scott posted:

https://github.com/bibanon/bibanon/blob/master/Stories/American-Dream.md

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They finally dropped the loving USPS services as of this week and next (depends on the store) and no more discounts on printing. They still get complaints about me not being there to give customers "special treatment" even though I left almost four months ago. They ended up just telling customers that I was fired for insubordination so they'd shut up.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I heart bacon posted:

Some middle aged lady, maybe mid 40s, comes in. Fair skinned woman with a blonde pixie cut. I'm in copy center because the usual worker called in. In fact, the store has been attempting to run with as few people as possible. So we're real busy, everyone's tied up with customers or whatever. Anyway, the lady comes up to me and asks to buy individual sheets of cardstock. Normally, this isn't a problem. We have all sorts of loose sheets for sale. But shes requesting a single sheet of a type that is pretty expensive and is sold in packs of 25. So I tell her no.

"Well cant you make an exception?" she asks. "Sorry, we don't use that paper enough in the print center, and its pretty expensive" I reply.

While im telling her this, I notice her hand is rested upon her upper chest. She becomes real quiet, and just stares at me. She removes her hand, and you can see the imprint because now her skin has flushed red. She lets out some sort of low wail that grows louder into a shrill scream. I look around; everyone's still busy. The store is loud with activity and no-one seemed to hear it. I look back at her. She lets go of some documents that she was holding, and uses her now free hands to pull hair from her head. The worst part is, she's actually pulling hair out. I notice little bits of hair falling to the counter. When she tires of pulling her hair out, she makes a fist with one of her hands and starts beating her own head. I'm dead silent and motionless because:

a) this doesn't feel real
b) this counter that separates us isnt high enough to prevent her from leaping over to me
c)it seems dangerous to interrupt this episode as its happening, especially for 8 dollars an hour.

Now that shes properly exhausted from pulling her hair and beating her head, the waterworks start and she begins sobbing. I quickly tell her that she can use the entire 25 page ream if she wants, no charge. With this sort of display, it's probably best to let the store lose 10 dollars or so instead of getting more people involved. We stay busy for a few more hours. When it slows down, I tell the managers what happened. They're initially upset that I let a customer walk out with a free ream of paper. But once I tell them the story, they become upset because they didn't get to witness it. (I had only worked there for a few months at that point, and still hadn't been jaded enough to enjoy customer suffering).

I have more stories of random crazies, but they were mostly dudes and gals who were innocuous and made their rounds without bothering customers or staff. I was 20 at the time, and that was my first real experience with adult mental breakdowns. To be fair(ish) to her, she explained afterwards that her ex-husband was trying to sue her, and she was on the verge of losing everything if she didn't get some paperwork handed in that day. Doesn't justify the meltdown, but I can sort of sympathize with the weight of the situation.

-----
In another Office Depot store..

We did have one crazy dude who came up and yelled at me once, while taking his belt off. The guy was huge in stature. Not fat, just taller and bulkier than most of the population. I think the thing that scared me the most was that he looked through me, and not at me. One of the managers came running out of the break room. "James, is that you?!" she yelled out. After he heard her voice, there was a complete 180 in his personality. He literally runs over to her and hugs her. She embraces him and asks "How ya doin, kid?" the same way she addressed all of the college kids like myself working there. She was the cool, motherly-type manager all of us respected. The guy starts talking a mile a minute while she listens. I remove myself from the situation because im not sure what the hell is going on.

Later on, I ask her what I had just witnessed. She said she's known him for about a decade, when she first started working at the store. He was normal back then. Went to war, came back broken, got screwed out of psychological treatment, and is now homeless and unstable living off whatever the army still pays him. He lives in some ratty motel down the street from Office Depot and routinely fights other homeless people who try taking his money.
:smith:

That night, as im helping her close the store, he comes in one last time, asking me to give her a package of Starburst candies he had been wanting to give. It was sort of a sweet, albeit sad thing to see.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Staples stores seem to have a unique smell. Like a warehouse-type smell or cardboard or something. Can you explain what this odor is composed of?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Good God, Dali. :stare:

Tailored Sauce posted:

Staples stores seem to have a unique smell. Like a warehouse-type smell or cardboard or something. Can you explain what this odor is composed of?

Mold. Nothing ever gets cleaned or dusted. The vacuums are a joke.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

Mold. Nothing ever gets cleaned or dusted. The vacuums are a joke.

Now I'm curious how much better Staples is financially compared to Office Depot. OD was healthy enough to absorb Office Max, but both stores I worked at were run down. One of the stores had a giant hole in the roof, and we had to put those huge outdoor garbage cans inside so they could catch the rain. When we'd leave each night, we'd place more garbage cans together so less rain would get all over. I think the only reason why OD stays afloat is through online orders and actual businesses doing bulk purchases. The brick and mortar portion of it seems unsustainable. I hear warranties are the only way OD makes a profit from electronics. Supposedly they're sold at a loss.

I really had a huge hatred towards Office Depot, since all the weird corporate polices and information passed down made storeworkers feel like children. Dumb acronyms, training videos, "mock sales sessions", (poor) explanations why we lost X employee benefit. Felt demeaning.

Egbert Souse, have you worked retail before Staples? From graphic designer to retail drone sounds really harsh. My experience at Office Depot has made me swear off retail or any customer service jobs. I mean, if worst comes to worst i'll do it again, but so long as other options exist, I don't mind doing entry level, minimum wage clerical/data entry stuff. I just loathe working with the general public.

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 6, 2017

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Michael Scott posted:

There's a lot, so pick from any of these tales of yore:

-The Story in which I slapped a magnet onto the hard drive of a customer's recycled computer, only for them to come back 30 minutes later and ask for it back

-The Story in which I built and maintained a little hidey hole behind the repair bench where I would Eat Gummibears and Browse the Internet on my phone

-The Story in which I hijacked the store's music system to play stuff through an aux cord

-The Story in which I sold a literal typewriter with an insurance plan to a woman I suspected of being domestically abused

-The Story in which an irate man demanded I fix his ~2001-era HP printer, with a hilarious letter to corporate

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Dali Parton posted:

Now I'm curious how much better Staples is financially compared to Office Depot. OD was healthy enough to absorb Office Max

Staples - not even a question. Staples actually tried to buy OD/Max last year in an effort to synergize the office supply market but the government blocked it.

Staples is a $21b company making a few hundred million in profit annually and slightly growing sales. OD/Max combined is a $14b company with dropping sales that is barely profitable and losing money some quarters.

Don't get me wrong, Staples isn't a rosy company but between the two they're doing a heck of a lot better. They've done a much better job preparing for the future as their delivery business is growing YOY and they have some huge contracts.

Staples is focused on winding down retail operations and is hoping to eventually have only a few hundred stores some day in the not too distant future - not the thousands currently open. To them retail is sort of a neat side business compared to where their main money maker/profit center is in delivery.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dali Parton posted:

Egbert Souse, have you worked retail before Staples? From graphic designer to retail drone sounds really harsh. My experience at Office Depot has made me swear off retail or any customer service jobs. I mean, if worst comes to worst i'll do it again, but so long as other options exist, I don't mind doing entry level, minimum wage clerical/data entry stuff. I just loathe working with the general public.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but...

No. I lost my graphic design job in March 2014. Since I kept getting shortchanged on my pay at that job, I only had about 2 months of savings to live on. I applied for hundreds of jobs and pretty much spent the rest of March and all of April job searching full time. Among those were even retail jobs because I thought I could at least get something part time. Thanks to my former employer, I didn't get unemployment (I was on 100% commission, which apparently hosed that up in Georgia). I did get food stamps, at least. Anyways, last week of April, out of all of those jobs, Staples was the only one I got a call back on. I thought it would be something I'd just do for a few months until I got a real job.

A month into that job, the Staples in the next town over lost their supervisor when she quit and they offered it to me since I was kind of overqualified to be an associate. Obviously, I took it. Then in November of that year, they announced THAT store was closing. In January 2015, the supervisor in the next town over quit and they asked if I could fill the position. I was hoping I'd just get sacked and I could use that time to push harder for a real job.

Thankfully, I had a recurring video editing project with a company and netted about $5K by the end of the year, which saved my life. After a year at Staples and still not getting any real hits for new jobs (one interview for a video production house that didn't go anywhere), I was seriously considering suicide until I at least had that to look forward to. However, that meant that a lot of my spare time was taken up with video work. My wife didn't have a job until late 2015, which is partially why finances were in terrible shape (not her fault - she has dyslexia and social anxiety). She finally got one near the end of the year. (we're separated now)

While I was pretty much driven to insanity by the job, it wasn't a total waste. I wouldn't have my current job, which I love, if I hadn't worked there. I wouldn't have had that surprise video project if I hadn't worked there. I have a lot of respect for people who work in retail. It's not as much the job, but poor management that makes retail horrible for people.

Also, I wouldn't have swiped this gem otherwise:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bubba Singleton

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like how they saw fit to include the frat house whore in the center of the picture.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, I wouldn't have swiped this gem otherwise:

Laughing my rear end off here. They all look like Will Ferrell in Anchorman (except Bubba)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
None of you noticed Buster Manning, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steve Duncan has a He-Man thing going on.

Stephen Blackburn is definitely a time traveler.

• Locked thread