Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I never really see this movie come up or hear people talking about it irl besides my friends I showed it to. By far the best movie I saw that was released in 2016, and I went to the theaters a lot this year. It's just all perfectly done, the performances (and not just Jeff Bridges, who you know is always going to be amazing), the pacing, the cinematography (gorgeous) and shows how a modern western really ought to be done; not even getting into the abundant subtext for movie geeks to analyze. 10/10 movie go watch it, seen it 4 times at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
My friend and I almost watched it two weekends ago but went with Boyz N The Hood instead. Therefore I give Hell or High Water 1/10 stars and 7 thumbs down.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

My friend and I almost watched it two weekends ago but went with Boyz N The Hood instead. Therefore I give Hell or High Water 1/10 stars and 7 thumbs down.

I gotta say you made the wrong choice my man (altho that is also a very good movie)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I've said this ad nauseum at this point, but I honestly think the script for this movie should be shown in every single character writing class forever. Every single character, main or otherwise, is fleshed out exactly as much as they need to be and they all feel so incredibly real.

Diner lady for president.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
there were a lot of great scenes, sequences, performances, everything. the parts where they stopped to talk about the land and banks and whatnot were really awkward, though

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
One thing I really love about the final exchange is that Jeff Bridges isn't actually right about the brothers. They both have more humanity than he imagined.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

try the new taco place posted:

there were a lot of great scenes, sequences, performances, everything. the parts where they stopped to talk about the land and banks and whatnot were really awkward, though

gotta disagree strongly here, thought those scenes were essential to the themes of the whole thing while being very effective character building

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I was pretty interested in this when it came out but my wife doesn't like Chris Pine so I'm waiting to Redbox it. Good to hear it's good.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
just watched it. can't stop thinking about it, one of the few perfect movies out there rn

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

I've said this ad nauseum at this point, but I honestly think the script for this movie should be shown in every single character writing class forever. Every single character, main or otherwise, is fleshed out exactly as much as they need to be and they all feel so incredibly real.

Diner lady for president.

i just watched the new starwars and it was absolutely night and day what a great screenplay can do for a movie that a ginormous budget and top of the line cgi cant.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Saw this a week ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. Raw and haunting as gently caress.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

try the new taco place posted:

the parts where they stopped to talk about the land and banks and whatnot were really awkward, though

IMO that's because we spend the whole movie dealing with these kinds of blue-collar, plain-spoken folks who have really never had occasion to put together the kind of language to talk about these institutions non-awkwardly until the moment that the institutions ruined their lines. Honestly it rules that they go "gently caress the banks, the banks are the devil" and that's the full extent of the complexity they want to give to that issue

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

I was pretty interested in this when it came out but my wife doesn't like Chris Pine so I'm waiting to Redbox it. Good to hear it's good.

Ya this was p good

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Was Ben Foster good in this?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked that basically every other scene on the road had the characters drive past a sign about banks/loans/foreclosures/whatever. I actually like it when movies lay it on really thick with all the subtlety of a Soviet Montage sledgehammer.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Basebf555 posted:

Was Ben Foster good in this?

yeah

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Haha, that scene where the waitress goes over the menu is the best.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watched this last night, it rules.

Chris Pine is good, I like him as Kirk but he's definitely a solid actor. Too pretty though, he needs some time to weather.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Watched this last night, it rules.

Chris Pine is good, I like him as Kirk but he's definitely a solid actor. Too pretty though, he needs some time to weather.

yeah honestly this is my one real complaint about the movie chris pine was lookin like a younger colin farrell pretty boy rather than a rough and tumble down south deadbeat dad bankrobber

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

yeah honestly this is my one real complaint about the movie chris pine was lookin like a younger colin farrell pretty boy rather than a rough and tumble down south deadbeat dad bankrobber

A big part of it was his hair, which is so dumb because they can put him in any wig they want. Why does he have to have A-list movie star hair when he supposed to be a dude on the run who probably doesn't get many showers?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Robbing banks is cool and good.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 2, 2017

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

FreudianSlippers posted:

Robbing banks is cool and good.

This may be gauche in this day and age but good av/post combo there Slippers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow this movie got nominated for Best Picture, that's awesome. Didn't expect that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched this after seeing it got nominated. It was quite good and very well-made but I wasn't totally invested and I thought the screenplay laid it on too thick with the whole "look, everyone is poor and miserable, isn't being poor miserable" jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I've been wanting to see this since it came out and haven't gotten a chance - really looking forward to it. Jeff Bridges is great and I'm excited for a modern western.

• Locked thread