Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I've just built a new PC, my first in five years. My wife wanted to know what I plan to do with my old one, and apparently 'have it around for the kids to play with in 10 years" wasn't an acceptable answer.

I can kind of see her point, everywhere you look in this house there's another black monolith (I'm a big fan of Fractal cases). So I'm turning SHSC for an opinion as to whether I give my machine away, or use the bits for my current NAS, or to resurrect my old NAS as a backup machine, or what.

Here's what I currently have cluttering up the house:

* Shiny new gaming PC worth more than my car
* Five-year-old gaming PC (Sandy Bridge i5 2500k, 8Gb RAM, Radeon 6950, 256Gb SSD, 1Tb HD)
* WHS 2011-based NAS with 24Tb of storage. (AMD A4 5300, 4Gb RAM), currently in use.
* WHS v1-based NAS with 10Tb of storage ( AMD Athlon II X2 255, 2Gb RAM)

Here are my options:

1) Upgrade my current NAS. I feel like upgrading the motherboard/CPU/RAM of my main NAS has the potential to gently caress everything up,especially going from AMD to Intel. It works well now, 4Gb is ample for a headless NAS (IMHO), so I'm not sure the risk is worth it.

2) Upgrade/repurpose my WHSv1 NAS. This isn't being used, so it doesn't matter what I do with it. I migrated all the data from that to my new one a couple of years back. So perhaps I could upgrade it, throw FreeNAS on it (my new PC is mainly Linux) and use it to back up the important stuff from my new PC and the current NAS. However - and I know this sound stupid - it would seem odd to have this machine as more powerful than the main NAS.

3) Give the old gaming PC to my in-laws. They're currently languishing on a Core2Duo with mechanical hard drive, even a five-year-old machine would blow it out of the water.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

modeski posted:

I've just built a new PC, my first in five years. My wife wanted to know what I plan to do with my old one, and apparently 'have it around for the kids to play with in 10 years" wasn't an acceptable answer.

Here's what I currently have cluttering up the house:

* Shiny new gaming PC worth more than my car
* Five-year-old gaming PC (Sandy Bridge i5 2500k, 8Gb RAM, Radeon 6950, 256Gb SSD, 1Tb HD)
* WHS 2011-based NAS with 24Tb of storage. (AMD A4 5300, 4Gb RAM), currently in use.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2 NAS wife Furious ? :v:

Linux server to SSH tunnel web requests through when you're at work (privoxy)?

I have a lot of old custom built computers, laptops and miscellaneous tech of yesteryear lying around that aren't being used. I have "plans" for them but haven't implemented. I want to repurpose one or two but mostly download/wipe and sell/donate/recycle.

I'm lacking the wife to "remind" me about this, though.

dbcooper fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 15, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Zero it and give it to the in laws on the condition that they never ask you for tech support.
Even creaky old gaming hardware is mana from heaven for people used to surfing the web on 2GB Vista machines.

Or store it unpowered where nobody will see it for a couple years "just in case" then throw it out once it's hilariously obsolete.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I generally sell, donate, or recycle my old tech when it's no longer in use. But unlike a lot of tech guys, I don't have any attachments to my gear (this is not a dig at you).

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
In Europe, there's plenty of eastern europeans who will gladly grab anything you put up on Ebay. You don't get a lot of money but it gets the crap out of your apartment. There must certainly be a similar thing with southern americans on the other side of the pond?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks guys. Can't be bothered with the hassle of selling it. I think I'll give my in-laws first refusal, and if they don't want it I'll put the SSD in my new machine and put the motherboard/RAM in my old NAS then figure out what to do with it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That 5 year old gaming machine is still perfectly fine and usable. Things aren't moving that fast anymore.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

That 5 year old gaming machine is still perfectly fine and usable. Things aren't moving that fast anymore.

Very true. And the in-laws have said yes they'll take it (and are very grateful).

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

modeski posted:

Thats a shitload of storage, are you some kind of digital hoarder?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I am sure I will get around to watching these complete collected series of Macgyver, Xena the warrior princess, Buffy the vampire slayer and Hercules *someday*

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Just play them all constantly and have your own daytime televsion

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah, it's basically my daily drive :smith: and I have no immediate plans to upgrade.

Good to see it being repurbed

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I am always interested in building a NAS. Buy every time I think it I realize my entire digital life is contained within one 250 gb SSD as it is. I put a second ssd in recently and its just sitting there at 0 kb used.

Sell sell sell donate sell sell trash sell

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Thats a shitload of storage, are you some kind of digital hoarder?

Yes, I'm absolutely a digital hoarder. At least computers are relatively small. I'm a reformed physical media hoarder, though. When I first moved out of home I had boxes upon boxes of magazines, VHS tapes, CDs, cassettes and books that I would schlep around with me from house to house. It was ridiculous, e.g. I had things like the entirety of Star Trek: TNG and The X-Files - both recorded off the TV for repeated viewing, and the official tapes for collecting/occasional viewing. Then I left the country and sold/donated/threw out everything. It was very liberating.

Now I just collect data. Ironically the girlfriend and I only like about 20% of the same shows/movies, so there's a lot of things I'm definitely going to get around to one day.

I ended up donating that computer and a spare monitor to the in-laws; they're very happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

MAME cabinet. Seriously. Preferably a bartop with an LCD for convenience. Great for kids.

• Locked thread