Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You're another $2,000 in debt. What?

Holiday shopping and a new bed. :tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

zaurg posted:

I'm gonna thrown down on that 2018 thread.

Yeah, buddy. :) How goes life?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Late for a Q3 update, but whatever. This year has been financially *fart noise*

2017 Goals
1. Continue moderate retirement / 529 savings - Yea sure
2. Acquire a newer ~$20k vehicle for me - Bought a cheaper vehicle. Tried to sell the car it replaced but no one wanted to buy it so I still have it. Somewhat of a blessing as I've been doing a decent amount of travel so I'm just hammering the miles on the unwanted vehicle. Hopefully I'll hit a deer and total it.
3. $1200 in principal-only mortgage payments - Yea, no. I think around $300 and that was mostly from the beginning of the year.
4. Bump up emergency fund to $15k From about $13k - Not even close, we actually spent some of that so it's probably closer to $12k now.
5. Stretch goal: Pay off newly acquired vehicle from step 2. - Well hey we did that, however:

Quick e/n story about cars:
My wife and I bought our first brand new car 3 years ago, a Hyundai Sonata with the intent of keeping it for a long time (long warranty and whatnot). We paid it off quickly so we've been car payment free for most of that time. Well, a few months back the engine "blew up". It was driveable, but there was bad valvetrain damage. No worries, that's what a warranty is for! We get our "new" engine (not new) and a week later there is a fire in the engine bay because the tech didn't tighten the charging cable on the alternator enough, it backed off and arced against the engine and bingo bango engine fire. It wasn't "car engulfed" type fire or anything, but it did some damage.

Well, the wife, probably rightfully so, put her foot down and gave me the "I'm not driving our children around in that car" speech so we replaced that car with another brand new car which is going to be roughly $16k out of pocket to "upgrade". So now we have a car loan. On the bright side it's at .9% and it was only for $10k so interest will be minimal, we should be able to get it paid off by summer-ish hopefully if we can stop spending friggin' money.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842261

2018 thread up.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2017 Goals (November update):

quote:

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet
- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA
- meet company match on 401k on track
- 50/month in daughter's 529 on track
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250) Done, but spent $75 more than budgeted. We needed one more shelving unit than I anticipated, and we decided to spend a bit more on shelves that looked nicer.
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash Unless some crazy deals happen in December, this will be pushed to 2018.
- Decide on having baby number 2 (more budget re-assessment)
- Help my wife make money on Etsy This won't happen until 2018.
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this) This isn't going to happen.

I met most of my goals. I don't think I'll hit any of the not-on-track ones this month, but we'll see.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Goals:

1. get current on student loans (currently owe like....2k in order to make them current)
2. start paying regularly on the loans, and on the one I am defaulted on (Thankfully it has no interest now, but I can only pay it over the phone....)
3. make sure I just keep doing this
4. try to consolidate my discover loan, which is now at 12% interest, which is insane

I have about 80k in student loans with an income of 32.5k or so before taxes... no bach though.......rear end degree though.

I still can't budget for poo poo so I'm relying on my SO to help me budget/pay for these (mint/ynab doesn't help me, I need a physical verbal reminder)

I also have over 1k in my job's HSA, if that matters I guess...

other goals:
stop smonking (2 packs a week)
drink less (lol yeah right) probably about $100 a month budget atm
keep our food budget below $250 (we recently spent $150 this month to make 5 freezer ready meals and I can see that (even with larger portions) lasting us an entire month to feed two people)

I paid off my $410 credit card debt though!

- Got a 2k CC (not rewards version), and only have about $20 on it on auto pay. Our goal here is to just make small payments to it, and then immediately pay it off.
- Got approved for another 1k CC (rewards card), and have zero balance on it (haven't gotten it yet). same use case as above for this one
- I am current on all of my student loans now!
- I was unable to consolidate my discover loan (12.125% Variable interest) because I didn't graduate and because this loan was sold from one loan vendor to discover, then someone bought the loan? but discover manages it??
- One of my student loans is defaulted and is in collections (this happened before my first post and I didn't realize) but it's 0% interest as long as we keep paying so we're saving that for last.
- Creditwise says my credit score was 467 in March 2017, and now is 649 in November. 651 Average. Is that a lot? I don't know these things. Creditkarma backs up this number as well, as 651. That sounds amazing, almost 200 points of credit in 9 months!
- Discover, Great Lakes (federal), Citizens Bank, and Navient are my current loans.
- Discover was $17,000. At the highest balance it was just under $29,700 in January before I started catching up. It is on track to be paid off by January of 2019 and is around $23,100 right now.
- 92.5% of all principal payments EVER MADE to this loan were in 2017.
- Along the way, the Navient loan (another $20,000+) stopped qualifying for rate reduction, going from a 4% interest rate to 10.5%. That will push this loan to a later payoff but also means that it is next up in pay-off order, after the Discover. Currently set to pay off in November 2019.
- By April of 2020, the highest interest rate left is 4.25% and at this point, I can choose between increasing retirement contributions or continuing blasting through the last $21,000 at this accelerated pace, for a pay-off date of January 2021.
- I also started up a 401k finally! I will hit $1400 in my 401(k) this Thursday and I'm contributing 5% of my gross pay (company match = 4%). The funds are invested in a mix of four Vanguard index funds to keep fees low.
- Stopped smoking 2 packs a week, now I just vape now and then. I went from $25 a month for cigs. I bought a bunch of atomizers and liquid (120ml) in May, and last purchase was June 21st. Have not smoked real cigs since then.
- Drinking went to $63~ a month now, it was $89 in February (it fluctuates sometimes)
- Paid off 2 medical bills, and have less than $500 in the HSA now, but that's growing too. Company contributes $300 a year.

Some graphs:

Discover progress:

Overall net progress:

TL;DR:

1. Increased personal net worth by 12% in 10 months.
2. Got $3,000 of available credit card potential
3. Got current on all my loans, and started making avalanche payments to them, with a current payoff of January 2021 for currently 84k in debt. I started off at 94k in February or so. (I realize my previous post says 80k, but that was incorrect information.)
4. Stopped smoking and started vaping, reduced drinking somewhat.
5. Food budget went to $230 from $250
6. Paid off 2 medical bills I forgot about since 2015.

Subnote:

A lot of this progress has been due to YNAB (You Need A Budget) software, so if anyone needs a referral (the screenshots are from that) just PM me. I am pretty proud about my progress. What do you think?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Nov Update

Guest2553 posted:

Challenge mode - 250k NW by EOY. Done - was sitting at 264k at close of business yesterday, though that's down about 3500 today thanks to whatever prelude to civil war you yanks are getting on about.

Stretch goal is to develop some sort of side hustle. On hold while I'm trying to get a promotion at work. I was apparently close this year in the closed-door-ranked-board system they have (still technically possible if enough stars line up, but they won't). Good chance of being on the short list next year though, so it's time to fire up those sacrificial goats.

Non-financial goal 1) regularly work out to get (back) in shape:rip: right back where I was year ago :rip:

Non financial goal 2) maintain some semblance of work/life balance. Finishing up some major projects but some more are on the horizon so :shrug:? I've been home more, at least.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

End of November updates!

By end of Q4:
- MBA Tuition paid in full. One semester short, it'll be paid next semester when the degree is awarded. I will be unable to do until February 1!
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. All tax advantaged space in FY 2017 utilized for my spouse and myself
- Pay off our "second mortgage" - this will put us well above 10% equity in our home, which is very exciting! MOTHERFUCKIN DONE. Like 15% equity now.

Yearly Goals:

- No new household debt. Failed, bought a new car two months ago but the old one died so... not too bad. No further debt.
- Be promoted. Success! It was accompanied with a juicy, 15% raise.

Things we will try to do:
- Watch for PSLF to see whether this program evaporates. So far, no news is good news.

Stretch Goals
- “second mortgage” retired ($28,000 balance starting) I actually had this to happen in Q1 but I think it's a more worthwhile target to do now than would be finishing my tuition payment! Done!
- 457 plan launched at work. Finally reached out in desperation to the President of our University. He emailed back immediately and said he would work on it, and "didn't know why we didn't have it already." He said it will take probably 2 years to get up and running, which is fine, our tuition minimum payments are going up anyway.

About to head into three years of lean times owing to much higher minimum payments on our student loans until they're eligible for forgiveness!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

EDIT: /\/\/\ Congrats on your tax cut plutocrat! (Just kidding, nice work)

GreenBuckanneer posted:

TL;DR:

1. Increased personal net worth by 12% in 10 months.
2. Got $3,000 of available credit card potential
3. Got current on all my loans, and started making avalanche payments to them, with a current payoff of January 2021 for currently 84k in debt. I started off at 94k in February or so. (I realize my previous post says 80k, but that was incorrect information.)
4. Stopped smoking and started vaping, reduced drinking somewhat.
5. Food budget went to $230 from $250
6. Paid off 2 medical bills I forgot about since 2015.

Great work here! The first steps are often the hardest, and it sounds like you're putting yourself on a much better track.

Boring but good November update inline. On track to complete 10 major goals, 1 stretch goal, and fail 1 stretch. Pretty great year, just gotta finish out strong!

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT. No cars, no debt for house projects - On track
2) Evaluate career change - Done!
3) Consolidate last remaining solo accounts from before marriage - Done!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - Done! E-Fund is up to $12.4k
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $10072/$11000. On track, final payment set for 1/1!
6) Continue funding 401ks at 10% each - On track
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - Done!
7 Stretch) Save $3636 a month - Done!
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - Done!
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - Done
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - On track
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year - Only down 3/10 here, so I'll likely fail the stretch, but I should be within striking distance.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - On track

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Grumpwagon posted:

EDIT: /\/\/\ Congrats on your tax cut plutocrat! (Just kidding, nice work)

Unexpectedly, by virtue of having pretty high state taxes and using line item deductions, our tax burden is actually quite likely to increase starting in 2019, and certainly will increase every year afterwards.

But I appreciate your enthusiasm!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I hit my goals and exceeded them. I even managed to eliminate the floating rate debt that I'd used as leverage for my investments. Next year is going to be interesting as I've cleared out a number of goals that I'd planned on for many years.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

November:

1. Increase net worth from 72k to 94k. Currently 99.5k. DONE! 100k net worth this year? Sweet.
2. Increase emergency fund from 5.5k to 7.5k. Currently 7.5k. DONE!
3. Increase house fund from 2.5k to 11k. Currently 10.8k. Next month should do it!
4. Go on a fun (overseas?) trip this summer. Spending Limit: 3k. Trip cancelled. DONE, I guess?
5. Contribute a minimum of $2400 to my Roth IRA. $2200.
6. Stay debt free. Yup.

Will hit the rest of the goals at the end of this month. Feels good. It's been a decent year.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Early end-o-year report!

2017 Financial Goals
- Max 401k $2000 short but almost did it.
- Max ROTH IRA Done!
- Keep video game spending to less than $40/mo 2017 was a great year for video games and a bad year for not buying them
- Keep at-home alcohol spending to under $40/mo 2017 was a great year for drinking
- Take a vacation without feeling guilty. Done!

2017 Career Goals
- Finish Masters on-time w/associated raise No raise, but did it :argh:
- Pass PE exam on first attempt Success!
- Uh... don't get fired, I guess? Success!

2017 Stretch goals
- Save $10k beyond 401k/IRA I should've thrown more into my 401k, because I ended up almost doubling this. Oops!
- Help my siblings organize their finances for their budding careers Did the best I could

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
EOY Update (Early)

Debts:
- $9K in CC Debt @ 10% GONE!
- $26K Auto Loan @ 1.4%
- $20K Student Loans @ 5% Reduced by 9K, from 29K
Total Debt: $46K (Down from 63K)

Net worth: $103k (Up from 4K)

Q1 - Update at end of March
- (Q1) Acquire full bonus of 30K Completed!
- (Q1) Acquire tuition reimbursement from employer of 5K Completed!
- (Q1) Use bonus or reduced spending to pay off CC debt totally Completed!
- (Q1) Fund 401K @ 6% to get employer match Completed!
- (Q1) Fund HSA @ 5% to receive employer contribution Completed!
- (Q1) Reduce spending using budget caps, working with GF, and lifestyle alteration/reduction to free up 10% of income for other goals Completed!
- (Q1) Extend current spending planning from 1 month in advance to 2 months Completed!
- (Q1) Reach at net worth of $10K Completed!
- (Q1) Create a gift plan and budget so I don't go crazy on family gifts this year Completed!
- (Q1) Update my existing budget with caps on spending problem areas, enlist help of GF Completed!

Q2 - Update at end of June
- (Q2) Reduce spending using budget caps, working with GF, and lifestyle alteration/reduction to free up 25% of income for other goals Completed!
- (Q2) Extend current spending planning from 2 months to 4 months - Still @ 2-3 months, but good effort
- (Q2) Reach a net worth of $20KCompleted in Q1!

Q3 - Update at end of September
- (Q3) Acquire tuition reimbursement from employer of 5-10K - Completed!
- (Q3) Use remainder of bonus and reduced spending to pay off student loans - This never fully materialized, I'll use next year's bonus to clear it out
- (Q3) Fully fund 401KCompleted!
- (Q3) Fully fund HSACompleted in Q1!
- (Q3) Fully fund IRACompleted in Q1!
- (Q3) Reach a net worth of $30KCompleted in Q1!
- (Q3) Help the GF find a paying job now that grad school is done to reduce household expenses - Completed!

Q4 - Update at end of year
- (Q4) Extend current spending planning from 4 months to 6 months - Better luck next year!
- (Q4) Reach a net worth of 40K - Completed!

Stretches
- Stretch: (Q4) Pay off Auto Loan
- Stretch: (Q2) Find a side gig
- Stretch: (Q4) If all debts paid, move completely off of CCs to become fully debt free
- Stretch: (Q4) Reach a net worth of 50K

End of year summary:
Everything came together pretty nicely! Had a few curve balls throughout the year but the planning helped me have emergency reserves and stay on target. I'm expecting to move up a pay grade in February and receive a full bonus which should help me clean up the last few goals in Q1 2018. Overall this was a great exercise and I'll do it again for 2018.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Final tally, near enough. I have a record of all my incoming payments to the end of the year.

2017 Goals:
Save $2,000/mo towards house downpayment fund - Did this, savings account balance increased by $26,000 so I'll count it
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving Done
Max 401K Done
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage Done
Max IRA Done
Net worth goal: $225,000 Beat this one, currently $274K

Non monetary:
Get engaged woo got engaged woo
Plan wedding substantive stuff is done
go on a cool vacation went to CA in June which was nice. Have scheduled a few days off to bum around the house in October do better next year, honeymooon!!!

Stretch goals:
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000 Beat this one too, 274K
Max fiancee Roth IRA check is written, I'll call it done

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Final tally time: Nothing much is going to change in the final three weeks. 2016 was nice, but 2017 kinda hosed up.

Goals for 2017

Habit oriented
1 - My wife and I are going to start using YNAB and regularly track our expenses actively instead of passively with Mint after the fact. By end of January, build the habit to religiously record everything we spend.
2 - My wife and I need to better structure our outside-of-work businesses. By end of January, build a schedule for our at-home projects that we can adhere to at 50%. By end of March, 80% adherence. Stick at 80% average level from March to December.
3 - I need to get more structured with my workouts and not go from great performance to weeks of lovely adherence. By end of January, build a workout schedule I can adhere to at 50%. By end of February, 80%. Stick at 80% average level from February to December.

#1 - Failed. We didn't stick to it. We ended up doing okay with the usual Mint tracking, but YNAB fell off habit.
#2 - Success.
#3 - Failed. I got injured again and blew up the schedule. It's going okay right now, but I missed several months of exercise.

Expense oriented for both Sundae and Wife
1 - Right now, life is great because my company is paying most of my rent in the Bay Area. In June 2018, that subsidy supposedly ends. GOAL: Put aside $2,500 a month in savings each month in 2017 to simulate ability to live within budget in bay area without the rent subsidy.
2 - Limit our at-home alcohol purchases to $30 per month. (2 bottles of wine per month, basically.)
3 - Limit eating out (including lunch and dinner) to $148 a month. ($100 dinner, $48 lunch)
4 - Greed Limit (ooh shiny purchases): $200 for both per month.
5 - Glutton Limit (ooh tasty purchases): $100 for both per month.

#1 - Partial Success - I don't want to call this one a failure when I missed a few months of the extra savings because I used those extra missed months to pay medical bills for myself, my wife, and also my mother whose insurance wouldn't cover things. I opted to pay cash rather than deal with credit for those since I had the money, but could have reversed that if needed.
#2 - Failed - God, we love wine too much.
#3 - Success - Took us several months but we got there. =)
#4 - Not sure - I honestly don't know. It's probably a failure, but given our poor tracking under that YNAB thingie.... yeah, let's call this a FAILURE
#5 - Success - Took us several months but we got there! Finally!

Business Oriented
1 - Publish three new stories per month, minimum. Wife will assist. GOAL CANCELLED.
2 - Publish two new novels in 2017, minimum. GOAL CANCELLED
3 - Grow short story author mailing list by 500 names in 2017. GOAL CANCELLED.
4 - Grow novel author mailing list by 500 names in 2017. GOAL CANCELLED.
5 - Put aside all non-tax and non-expense income from side business as savings. (AKA, live entirely within the bounds of the day job salary.)

#5 - Success - My wife put all of her incoming royalties and illustration income into savings and all my residual royalties were also sent to savings.

Lifestyle Oriented
1 - Lose 12 pounds at minimum. If I fail at this, I loving suck. 12 pounds should be so goddamned easy that it's shameful. Stretch Goal: Lose 24 pounds.
2 - By end of February, schedule and attend a meeting with my day job company's financial advisor to determine how much, exactly, I'm allowed to put away for retirement in each eligible type. (I have a fairly complicated income package, with salary, self-employed income, RSUs and SARs. I'm maxing my 401(k) and putting some into a Roth IRA, but I want to figure out what I'm eligible to do and max things appropriately. I'm not using his suggestions, but I want dollar amounts.)
3 - STRETCH GOAL: If applicable from #2, increase my retirement contributions by no less than 5% to eligible non-401(k) sources in 2017.

#1 - BARELY A loving SUCCESS - I lost twelve pounds. And that's it. Goddamnit, wine. (And lack of self-control.) Failed stretch goal.
#2 - Success. The guy was a loving idiot, but I did it. Everything I could max was maxed anyway.
#3 - Not applicable.

Total Summary: Failed miserably at habits. Partial success on expenses. Success on lifestyle-oriented. N/A on the biz side mostly.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Dustoph posted:

I'm always late to the party.

2017 Goals:

* Already maxed out both of our 2017 Roth IRAs
* Save $35,000 by end of year for house down payment ($40,000 stretch goal)
* Get a raise at work (hopefully $10k)
* Decide on a place to move (Leaving California for a better COL environment and raise a family. Have already visited a few options)
* Get work to allow me to be 100% remote (transitioning from being at the office every day to 60% (3 days a week) starting in April. Plan is to keep my job for the move)
* Stretch Goal - Save for 2018 Roth IRA

2017 turned out to be pretty interesting for me.

Took the in-laws offer to move in with them (who live 3 hours from us) for roughly 12-15 months to save some dough. That lasted roughly 3 months before we had to move out - who would have guessed haha. Moved back to our home city. As part of all of this, my wife was forced to turn down 2 job offers. One when we moved, and one when we moved back. I then got her pregnant during all of this, so she hasn't been back to work. Between the moves and that, it has been a huge blow to our income this year.

Now at year end, I have twin new borns and wife still isn't working. We don't have help close by and the numbers don't work out for her to go back to work and put the kids in childcare. Our current rental lease is up next summer and we will move then. Where? Still haven't figured it out. Could move near my mom who could help with child care, but the COL there is about 30% more. I already live somewhere that I think is way too expensive. So maybe we will move out of state and have my wife just stay at home for the time being since it would be easier to afford. The thought of zero help with the kids is daunting though but we will see how it goes over the next few months and I get back to work (still on paternity leave right now).

So in terms of my goals earlier this year:

- Save the $35k? Lol, no. I think we managed to save $5k. I did sell my sports car for $15k and that went into the house pot, but I didn't originally plan to do that.
- No raise yet. Boss did commit to trying to get it done within 3 years. I love my job so I'll give her the opportunity and leave in 3 years if I don't have it by then (more like 2.5 years now)
- Decide where to move - Narrowed it down a lot but still haven't made a decision. Got the Southwest credit card with their companion pass for buy one get one free plane ticket for an entire year, so will try to visit some places more soon.
- 100% work remotely - accomplished. This will make moving easy.
- Stretch goal - Nope!

At least I accomplished one thing, even though it didn't really have anything to do with money. More importantly I need to figure out the long term goals out now and get cracking on making it happen.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nail Rat posted:

A bunch of people want a 2017 thread, so here we are.

Current figures:

-$9k in savings.
-$7,200 in HSA.
-$65,000 in 401k.
-$18,000 in Roth IRA.
-$7,000 outstanding 401k loan.
Net worth: $95k

Goals for 2017:
-Pay off 401k loan and be debt free for the first time in 7 years.
-Increase emergency fund to $10k.
-Max out 401k.
-Max out IRA.
-Max out HSA.
-$20k to house down payment fund.
-Increase net worth to $150k(assuming no big market collapse). Of course this is just a combination of the above goals but it would feel good!

So it turns out that dating and going on soul-searching trips to Europe is expensive, but here's what happened:

-Pay off 401k loan and be debt free for the first time in 7 years. - Done.
-Increase emergency fund to $10k. Done.
-Max out 401k. 13 k :(
-Max out IRA. 3k :(
-Max out HSA. Done
-$20k to house down payment fund. 12k
-Increase net worth to $150k(assuming no big market collapse). Of course this is just a combination of the above goals but it would feel good! 145.1k

So yeah not as good as I was hoping but still feel pretty good about increasing my net worth by 50k.

Now I'm buying a condo in a couple months so clearly I'm just determined to undo all the progress here.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 18, 2017

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2017 Goals (End of year update):

Successes

quote:

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet She went from a full-time job, to a super part-time job at 8 hours a week. We're good financially, she is much happier now, and her anxiety has decreased significantly
- 6000 in Roth IRAs Found budget to max them out
- 2000 in HSA
- Meet company match on 401k
- 50/month in daughter's 529
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary Went on a Caribbean cruise before it was destroyed by hurricanes
- Decide on having baby number 2 (more budget re-assessment) Baby boy due in May

Not successes

quote:

- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250) Partially complete, but spent $325
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash Will take this on in 2018. Ideally, it'll be purchased before baby #2 arrives
- Help my wife make money on Etsy She's resolved to post at least one item in January, so this will become a 2018 goal
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this) I don't think I will be doing this at all anymore

Considering I was laid off in August and unemployed for 2 months, this wasn't a bad year.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
2017!

Potrzebie posted:

Goals
Keep savings as % of income at or above 25%
CRUSHED IT. Granted me and the wife shifted our contribution to the shared account to compensate for the lower income one has with parental leave insurance. We did the same before when I was working and she was home though so it all evens out in the end. Income is a mix of salary, side income from the board of our housing association and parental leave insurance. Savings is mortgage payments and stock and bonds in tax advantaged accounts. There is an additional 14k or so in a retirement account that I get from work, but I'm not sure where to put that money; savings?

Total income after taxes 2017: 251386 funbux.
Total savings 2017: 112600 funbux, or 44,8%

Open a tax-advantaged account for baby, buy index funds monthly
done. Saving ~$70 per month.

No more online gambling
Fail.

Learn a thing; see if thing can be used to create side income
It's me, the dad who figured that the "leave" part of parental leave ment I'd have free time :downs:

Start to transition portfolio from individual stock to index funds
Ended up doing the opposite. Realised some earnings and increased my exposure to volatile stock. Imma be rich!

Get wet and cold
I've been out in the rain and got cold, but zero excercise this year sucks.

Other stuff
Have a nice vacation
Hade several nice vacations, with ten days in France being the big one.!

Sleep
Sleeping like a baby :tootzzz:

Go debt free
We purchased a house instead. And with perfect timing the sort-of-but-not-really-a-bubble began to deflate so we'll see how much if any gains can be realised on our current appartment.
Debt will increase regardless.

Make baby 2
Baby made. Done come May.

Looking back on the year I'm really surprised that I managed to save as much as I did. I guess having no energy or time to do expensive stuff and no need to drive anywhere helps keep costs down. That and the baby making/baby savings was good.

The rest failed for various reasons. Some better than others, but they still failed. I am bad for failing my goals and I feel bad.

Next years big things are baby #2 and owning a freaking house! We plan on leasing out the basement to increase our income and I'll be working again come April, so that'll help. The rest is new and unknown.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 19, 2017

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

End of year update:

Omne posted:

Omne's 2017 Financial Goals!
1. No. New. Debt.
2. Increase 401k contributions to 12% (from 10%)
3. Pay off remainder of furniture loan ($1488)
4. Build emergency fund to $12,500 (from $8,200)
5. Lower the 6.8% student loan to $7,500 (from $11,600)

Stretches:
6. Lower the student loan to $5,000
7. Build medium-term savings fund to $2,000

There are two potential events that could upend these, but I'm sticking to them for now!

1. Technical failure. I ended the year with less debt than I started, but due to the move I carried over a few months of credit card expenses, so I paid some interest. It's all paid off again and we are back on track.
2. Success. Completed in March
3. Success. Completed in Q1
4. Rousing success. Ended the year at $15k
5. Success. Ended at $7,476

Stretches:
6. Fail.
7. Success.

The move hurt us at the start from a debt and savings perspective, but we sold our house and walked away with $28k in cash, plus my increased salary from the job change, plus I got three bonuses at my new company in December (vacation, Christmas and an equity exit bonus).

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

End of the year!!!

1. Increase net worth from 72k to 94k. Currently 101k. DONE! 100k net worth? :yotj:
2. Increase emergency fund from 5.5k to 7.5k. Currently 7.6k. DONE!
3. Increase house fund from 2.5k to 11k. Currently 11.2k. DONE!
4. Go on a fun (overseas?) trip this summer. Spending Limit: 3k. Trip cancelled. DONE, I guess?
5. Contribute a minimum of $2400 to my Roth IRA. $2400. DONE!
6. Stay debt free. Yup.

I did everything except taking the trip!

Hoping next year goes this smoothly.

spinst fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 29, 2017

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Well 2017 was a good news/bad news year.

Got fed up with the new bosses and transferred to the other side of the country which sort of blew everything out of the water. Thankfully it's a must lower COL area so major bonus there.

So here are the results:
1. Pay off credit card - Went the wrong direction on this one. Had to put a decent chunk of the moving expenses on the CC but it was well less than half so that's a plus.
2. Max out flexible spending account contribution - Managed this and will do so again in 2018
3. Maintain 401k contribution - Managed this without much trouble. Set it and forget makes for easy goals.
4. Purchase rental property number 3 - No chance to do this although we're starting to get into the swing of things in our new location so 2018 is looking good.
5. Don't take on any additional consumer debt. - This one is a bit of a wash. We walked away from the sale of our old house with $51k that we used to pay off our car (yay!), and one of the loans on our rentals (yay!) but increased our CC debt to a level that I'm not happy with.

Go get my balls cut because babies are expensive and one is enough. - Nailed it! Getting neutered is one of the best health decisions I've made.

So a mixed bag financially but I think we're in a much stronger (and healthier) position than we were before.

2018 is looking good!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
2017 Goals

1) Max 401k - Done
2) Max both IRAs - Done
3) Purchase disability/life insurance for me - Done
4) Update kitchen (15k max) - Done - This ended up being 33k total because I had no idea how much remodeling cost when I first made this goal, but once I started taking bids I revised this estimate up to ~30k. I actually ended up going with the most expensive contractor, but they were the most professional by far; the whole thing ended up being so easy and stress-free for me, and everything was done correctly and on time, so I think that was absolutely the right choice. Also now the illegal and poorly done wiring in the kitchen is no longer in danger of spontaneously catching on fire.
5) Get mortgage down to 75k (95k starting / 72k currently) - Done
6) Take at least a week's vacation - Done

Stretch

1) Install solar panels (10k-15k estimate) - Swapped w/ kitchen remodel goal, this won't happen until 2018
2) Help brother-in-law buy a newer car (3k max) - Done. Contributed 1.7k to buying him a safe, modern car

Not bad!! I made much less money this year due to the contract switch but I got to spend the year at home. Now that my house is in literal and proverbial order, I am ready to return to travel consulting and knock out that mortgage in 2018!!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Current figures: 30 y/o making $45,000 a year. A little over 10k in student loan debt, no other debt. About $16,000 in retirement currently, and need to start aggressively contributing to it in the next few years.Retirement savings up to $23.5k Currently focused on getting rid of student loan debt however.

Pay off my two smallest student loans (~$1250 and ~$1800), leaving me with just two other student loans (currently at ~$3800 and ~$3400). Look into refinancing remaining student loans. Get my emergency fund to $7500 (currently at $6500).Paid off three student loans this year, only $2491 remaining. Emergency fund at $8000

Work as much overtime as possible until I get a raise in Aprll (boss is saying he'll put in for a big one because of my job performance), at which point I'll probably be moved back to salary (got bumped to hourly/non-exempt in November). Got an 11% raise this year, up to $50,000. Will be expecting another larger one this year, it's good to be on my regional managers good side. Don't really get why he likes me, but he does.

Take the bus to work more, avoiding expensive downtown parking. I should be transferring to a new location in April/May for work so I won't be working downtown anymore after that and the new location will have actual employee parking, so at that point I won't even need to include parking in my budget, but my fuel budget will have to increase, though not by as much as my parking budget will decrease. Drive to work now, but I usually only have to fill up on gas once a month. Live about 2 miles from work

Put myself into position to be completely debt free at some point in 2018.

Will be in a good position to be debt free in a few months!

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 28, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Current Figures -
- Several hundred thousand dollars of student loans, of which only $20,000 not eligible for forgiveness through qualifying payments. Non-forgiveable loans all retired. Wife qualified for PSLF, I'm in the process of qualifying for PSLF.
- Approximately 18 months into a $280,000 mortgage, with like $246,000 remaining. So far just paying this on time.
- Approximately $55,000 remaining in car loan at 2%. Just paying this on time.
- Second car paid in full, but now 13 years old and increasingly fickle. Aim to not replace this until MBA paid in full. Failed, car gave out in February, bought a CPO VW Golf R at 1% interest and promptly earned a several thousand dollar speeding ticket.
- Matched 403 (b)’s from our employer matched with 10% to our 5%, as well as post-tax money making up the rest to our maximum eligible. 403 (b)'s are maxed on autopilot.

By end of Q1:
- Down to 2 credit cards, neither carrying any interest. Done and done, can't believe we actually had credit card debt costing us INTEREST 9 months ago.
- Savings to 16k. Hit it.

By end of Q2:
- Personal CC debt free. Can't believe we had credit card debt 6 months ago!
- Savings to 32k. Hit it.

By end of Q3:
- Savings to 6 months expenses, max that we can earn 2+% on in our credit union checking. Hit it.
- Wife private student loan retired. Hit it.

By end of Q4:
- MBA Tuition paid in full (this may adjust as my work has decided to pay for graduate degrees - plan will be similar to others who have reported keeping the tuition in savings in case a change of jobs becomes likely before my tuition is forgiven by work). Missed it, we retired our second mortgage instead.
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. Hit it.

Yearly Goals:
- No new debt. Failed, bought a "new" car.
- Be promoted to clinical assistant professor (slight pay raise). Hit it, and got another position as well.
- Stick to a yearly budget. Financier has been a godsend.

Stretch Goals
- “second mortgage” retired ($28,000 balance starting). Did this instead of the MBA tuition, because my department decided to help me fund my degree.
- 457 plan launched at work (I have requested this, CEO on board and benefits officer looking into cost/benefits to launch in 2017), fully funded by both wife and I. They still haven't added this, it might be a few years, will have to suffice using just our 403 (b), post-tax accounts and our 529 space for the time being.
- Have my paid-off car last another year. Bzzt.

This marks my 2017 made or broken year-in-review post. Overall I'm quite pleased, actually, and there were a few fun windfalls along the way (including a little bitcoin bonus).

The car was the only real setback but it was just an acceleration of the timeline I already had the sense was coming.

As far as getting your personal finances in shape in a hurry, I highly recommend making a ton of loving money.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
How fast do you have to be going to get a several thousand dollar speeding ticket?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

How fast do you have to be going to get a several thousand dollar speeding ticket?

This question is pretty relative but between court costs, attorney fees, ticket cost, insurance points and suspended license/reinstatement costs, fast, but not as fast as you'd think.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

1) Max 401k Done
2) Max Roth IRA Trying to figure out how much I can put in
3) Max HSA Done
4) $300/mo into Mom's Retirement Done
5) $500/mo into Taxable Retirement Done
6) Transfer Mom's Retirement money from Ally bank to Vanguard taxable account done but I need to do a bunch of paperwork to continue to contribute. Back to the savings account for now
7) Open Vanguard account for my Taxable Retirement Done

Net Worth $200,495 :whatup:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

EOY update

Guest2553 posted:

Goal 1 - increase family NW from 178k to 225k. Challenge mode - 250k: Success! Even after the significant decline this past week I'm sitting at 266k. Stretch goal was possible due to a huge tax return, a retroactive COLA, and a minor windfall after a relative sold some family property.

Develop some sort of side hustle: Cancelled Put this one on hold since I'm focusing my efforts towards getting a promotion at work. Have a couple ideas in the back of my head but not planning to action them.

Non-financial goal 1) regularly work out to get (back) in shape: FAIL :negative: Lost 10 pounds or so up until our second kid was born and put it all back on. I'm maaaaybe in marginally better shape from working out sporadically, but my diet and workout schedule generally go to poo poo when I'm overworked and don't sleep properly. Which leads to

Non financial goal 2) maintain some semblance of work/life balance: Success! I'm definitely spending more time at home to do family and hobby stuff. I

Based off this year's performance, next year's goals are to 1) keep saving money, 2) get promoted, 3) eat better/work out (with actual benchmarks!), and 4) read more. 2017 was a dog poo poo year but this thread was pretty cool.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

EoY update

It was a good year overall, with room for improvement next year. Still, hard to complain when the final goal tally is 10/10 major goals, 1/2 stretch goals.

We easily made our $135k NW goal this year, finishing at around $145k, even with buying a house this year instead of next. This was a combination of slightly higher than expected salary, and of course the stock market over-performing.

We both maxed Roth IRAs for the first time this year. In fact, when I set this goal, I intended that we both contribute $5500, which because we hadn't maxed 2016 and the first several payments were 2016 contributions, wasn't technically a 2017 max. But because of an unexpectedly high bonus, we were able to make a balloon payment to properly max 2017, for a total of $14748 contributed this year. Feeling really good about that.

The sort of failure was again in the health department. While I did technically lose 20 pounds this year, which was my goal, I had basically lost that by July. The second half of the year I made no progress at all. This is the second year in a row I've made a fairly easy health goal with the intention of exceeding it, and instead JUST BARELY squeaking it out. Overall, I am healthier than I was 365 days ago, and that's what really matters, but I should have done better for sure. Needless to say, the "extra 10 pounds lost" stretch goal was a complete failure.

Looking forward to posting 2018 goals shortly!

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT. No cars, no debt for house projects - Done!
2) Evaluate career change - Done!
3) Consolidate last remaining solo accounts from before marriage - Done!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - Done!
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - Done with a bullet!
6) Continue funding 401ks at 10% each - Done!
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - Done!
7 Stretch) Save $3636 a month - Done!
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - Done!
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - Done
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Done, barely
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year - Extreme fail!

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - Mostly done!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This question is pretty relative but between court costs, attorney fees, ticket cost, insurance points and suspended license/reinstatement costs, fast, but not as fast as you'd think.

I guess 30 over for a reckless in a school zone if you still had your license suspended even with an attorney

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I guess 30 over for a reckless in a school zone if you still had your license suspended even with an attorney

Nope, just over 30 simple speeding on open interstate in good conditions. My state wouldn't play ball on the ticket, it stunk.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Paying an attorney and still getting that end result sounds like this should be cross-posted to the BWM thread

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Nope, just over 30 simple speeding on open interstate in good conditions. My state wouldn't play ball on the ticket, it stunk.

Your state sucks since all there is to do on a flat, corn-lined interstate is speed like crazy. I drove from Des Moines to Omaha once and I don't think I ever went less than 85.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

My 2017 goal is to become debt-free by paying off $17,129.33 in debt.
(Stretch goal- do this by my birthday, August 20).
(Stretch goal #2- also max out my Roth IRA).

$3,539.21 in student loan remains.
$13,590.12 in credit card debt remains.

Do not rack up any new debt (besides unavoidable interest charges on the above).

Other personal goals:

Lose 20 lbs (so I'd weigh 170)

Decrease restaurant/bar/alcohol expenses by 30% from 2016. Just ran the numbers for 2016 and holy poo poo. I spent $5,007.99 on restaurants and bars and alcohol. That's $417.33 a month. Every month. Jesus Christ.

30% decrease would be $3,505.59, or $292.13 per month. That's a non-negotiable for me. Has to happen. Stretch goal here is to spend less than $2,500 in both categories combined.

Not a great year, financially.

Killed off the student loan, but still have CC debt to the tune of $11,144.12. On the plus side, I did not add any debt beyond interest.

I did not max the Roth but did slightly increase contributions. Only wound up putting in $800 total though. Have to kill the CC debt before I can fee good about increasing this.

Did not lose 20 pounds. Lost 10 and kept it off for most of the year but put them back on in the last two months. This will be a 2018 goal again but with more action steps.

I don't have my restaurant/bar numbers in front of me right now but did very well on the bar (quit drinking for four months from August-November, which helped). Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I put that savings back into the restaurant budget. Another area for 2018 where I'll have to make a better SMART goal. I'll edit in these numbers later.

Will post updated goals in the 2018 thread this week.

:saddowns:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Was the speed limit 85 and you were going 115?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Harry posted:

Was the speed limit 85 and you were going 115?

70 and 105

• Locked thread